Optimus G Pro vs Galaxy Note 2 screen/batt life

Search This thread

itikhvin

Jan 12, 2012
Is the increased resolution of the G Pro a big deal ? What is the G Pro superior for and where (if anywhere) will you be able to tell the difference side by side?

What about the battery life?

mgd76

Feb 23, 2012
Foxborough, MA
The screen on the OG Pro absolutely blows Note 2's away. All benchmarks I have seen favor the OG Pro. IMHO, the only category Note 2 wins is the pen. If you must have a pen, and think you can avoid losing it, get the Note 2. (I've heard that the OG Pro will work with any capacitive stylus, just not quite as precise as the Note 2's pen. Haven't tested, though) Note 3 comes out this fall...

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Note 2's battery can probably do a bit more screen-on time because of the less demanding display, otherwise pretty close in this category.

naeem86

Aug 30, 2011
Ive had past experiences with lg and never will i be buying an lg phone again. I like custom roms and new updates..and with lg,they take a hell lot time to update their rom. Plus when they do it, they give u crappy software.
Get the note 2 and u wont regret it. Battery life is awesome. I get 6-7h of screen time with moderate use. Anyway just my 2 cents..Good luck with ur decision. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

itikhvin

Jan 12, 2012
I already have the Note 2 actually, but it's clearly a defective unit, as it randomly reboots and freezes. I'm thinking of returning it for another Note 2, but I was considering the G Pro.

I'm pleased with the screen of the Note 2.In what does the G Pro screen "blow away" the Note 2. Again, I know, more pixels... but is that really noticeable?

Don't like the locked bootloader on the G Pro

nnotis

Jan 24, 2012
Seattle
www.nicknotis.com
I spent some time with one in the AT&T store a few days ago. The OGP screen is all that it's cracked up to be. It's virtually impossible to see pixels, and in a totally other league from any of the 720 * 1280 screens available.

jprosek

May 11, 2013
ocoee
Ive played with the note 2 and the screen realy is that much better. Plus while lg does have crappy software there will likely be lotsa development once the bootloader is unlocked and will solve that problem. What can't be solved tho is samsungs shotty craftsmanship. U drop any samsung device from more than waist high, and ur replacing something, if not the whole phone. Just youtube droptests for samsung devices they consistantly do the worst of any device. As for a stylus the screen works with gloves on, anything can be used as a stylus on this ive seen more than one video where people used a regular pen although there no software support for it. While other phones may do 1 or 2 things better you can't buy a better all around phone right now. And its lookin like its gonna be that way till the note 3 and even then the enyxos 5s are barely outperforming the 600s although their design does give them better battery life.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Jilxz and Jammol

jesi.james

Jul 2, 2010
Wharton
Is the increased resolution of the G Pro a big deal ? What is the G Pro superior for and where (if anywhere) will you be able to tell the difference side by side?

What about the battery life?

I'm pretty much in the same boat but compared against the S4. Im also a bit more concerened about phone durability. I take care of my things but I want a little more cushion for when accidents happen. Is the OG Pro just as fragile as the s4? Has anyone managed to accidentally crack theirs?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

witeboy07

Feb 24, 2010
ChiRak
This is my current stats before I got home.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369034421552.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369034421552.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369034431892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369034431892.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 994

itikhvin

Jan 12, 2012
I spent some time with one in the AT&T store a few days ago. The OGP screen is all that it's cracked up to be. It's virtually impossible to see pixels, and in a totally other league from any of the 720 * 1280 screens available.

OK, so I understand that the screen is better, but where will I notice it compared to Note 2? In videos? Pictures? Text? Brightness? Outdoor visibility? Colors?

dnorthington

Mar 23, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This is my current stats before I got home.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

That's not bad at all.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

OK, so I understand that the screen is better, but where will I notice it compared to Note 2? In videos? Pictures? Text? Brightness? Outdoor visibility? Colors?

I have a note 2, an iPhone 5, LG OG, GS 4, and have used One, plus all major devices before. For me, the main difference is the age old debate of LCD vs AMOLED. I prefer LCD. Colors are more true and whites are actually white. You can use different screen modes with the note 2 to minimize the over saturation, but o stool poetry LCD. The OG Pro also does better outdoors in sunlight. Overall the screen seems brighter and the increased resolution does make a difference. In my experience, the battery is not as good on the OG Pro, but still better than most Android devices.

itikhvin

Jan 12, 2012
The battery life is a concern to me. How much worse than the Note 2 should I expect. I have to say I have no idea what the Note 2 is capable of, as my current unit is defective.

colts187

Jan 3, 2012
Little Rock
I had the Note 2. Its about the same. I used it for a while this morning before it even fell off 100%. The screen gets way brighter which believe me u will appreciate.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium

nnotis

Jan 24, 2012
Seattle
www.nicknotis.com
It's not just the color accuracy. The added resolution really makes a difference. I could read full desktop web sites without zooming in. The Note 2 lacks the resolution for that. The One & S4 screens are too small to do so comfortably. The only strike on the screen is that it can't get the almost infinite blacks of an AMOLED screen.

I've heard that the Note 3 will still use a pentile pixel arrangement. On the S4, that's fine. The pixels are too small for it to matter. But on a 6 inch screen, I know I'd start to see sub pixels. Sure, it would be less obvious than on an S3, but I'd rather not see them at all.

itikhvin

Jan 12, 2012
I just got a replacement Note II, and think I'm going to stick with it. The device is easier to get here in Canada, as oposed to the G Pro which right now I can only get from AT&T in the States... The Note can be unlocked for free and used on practically any network here... and the bootloader isn't locked.

I already find the screen resolution of the Note 2satisfying for watching video...G Pro could have swayed me if it was REALLY good in sunlight such as say the Nokia 920, but it appears that isn't...The battery life on the Note 2 is also bound to be better (since the screen is only 720p). The camera on the G Pro doesn't appear to better the one on Note II either, even though the resolution is increased....

itikhvin

Jan 12, 2012
Check out this vs review. Lots of good stuff. They put out some opinions and more subjective details. Lots of objective stuff.

http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_pro_vs_samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-911.php

I have checked it out previously... the G Pro appears to be significantly better according to that review is the Synthetic Benchmarks, but I have no idea if this is really something noticeable in real life? They actuallly stated that he Note II has better sunlight visiblity what the heck...???

dnorthington

Mar 23, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The synthetic benchmarks are one measurement, but the difference for me is not really noticeable from a lag or fluidness perspective. The screen on the pro g is pretty reflective. They're saying the digitizer for the s pen gives it a bit of a filter.

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
I have the note 2, s4, HTC one, and this phone and LG Optimus G Pro has the best screen of them all hands down. It also has great battery life and the screen does kill note 2. Plus the phone is easier to hold in hand and handle compared to note 2. Note 2 has stylus which is nice but if you don't use it LG is better.

Reactions: Jilxz
J

jetlitheone

It's not just the color accuracy. The added resolution really makes a difference. I could read full desktop web sites without zooming in. The Note 2 lacks the resolution for that. The One & S4 screens are too small to do so comfortably. The only strike on the screen is that it can't get the almost infinite blacks of an AMOLED screen.

I've heard that the Note 3 will still use a pentile pixel arrangement. On the S4, that's fine. The pixels are too small for it to matter. But on a 6 inch screen, I know I'd start to see sub pixels. Sure, it would be less obvious than on an S3, but I'd rather not see them at all.

Well being only half an inch bigger then an s4 doesn't make an enormous difference. I had the note 2 and went to the s4 I'm not sad that I lost that half an inch. The pen was cool though. But never used it too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive played with the note 2 and the screen realy is that much better. Plus while lg does have crappy software there will likely be lotsa development once the bootloader is unlocked and will solve that problem. What can't be solved tho is samsungs shotty craftsmanship. U drop any samsung device from more than waist high, and ur replacing something, if not the whole phone. Just youtube droptests for samsung devices they consistantly do the worst of any device. As for a stylus the screen works with gloves on, anything can be used as a stylus on this ive seen more than one video where people used a regular pen although there no software support for it. While other phones may do 1 or 2 things better you can't buy a better all around phone right now. And its lookin like its gonna be that way till the note 3 and even then the enyxos 5s are barely outperforming the 600s although their design does give them better battery life.

Check out this vs review. Lots of good stuff. They put out some opinions and more subjective details. Lots of objective stuff.

http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_pro_vs_samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-911.php
    I have the note 2, s4, HTC one, and this phone and LG Optimus G Pro has the best screen of them all hands down. It also has great battery life and the screen does kill note 2. Plus the phone is easier to hold in hand and handle compared to note 2. Note 2 has stylus which is nice but if you don't use it LG is better.
    Do you currently have a data plan that ATT no longer offers? (such as unlimited, or 2gb)

I'd like to get this deal as well at Fry's but I don't want them messing with my data plan when I upgrade :(

I have a family plan I share with the Mrs. BTW, today's the last day for the Fry's sale price.
    Lol that what I meant og pro has the best screen on the market lol