Gps fix 101

Search This thread

jonathan75

Jul 26, 2010
It makes no change whatsoever. It's silicone people, not metal. If your left hand is covering the GPS/BT/WiFi antenna reception will be affected..

It is all about cause and effect. You do a test and look at the results. There is no point in over thinking the hows and whys. I tested it many many times and recorded my findings. I also did the test on a flat surface with no hand involved. As LaVar Burton would say "Don't take my word for it."

kiiwi7

Aug 2, 2010
Talked to T-Mobile/software update

Talked to T-Mobile Technical Support this evening and they confirmed the following:

The GPS is a known issue.
There will be a software update for the Samsung Vibrant.
- They cannot confirm the update will address the GPS issue
- They cannot confirm when the update will be available.

jamesyl

Jul 24, 2010
Hi. So I tried the Google server (and port) and also MS Based but nothing would work to get my GPS to lock on this new Sammy Captivate. I tried one other thing I came across somewhere, with a twist. Set to MS Assisted and instead of using a Custom Configuration for supl.google.com or the default setting, I changed it to Auto configuration, which gave a very long server address. I rebooted, fired up GPS test and the phone locked lickety split and had 6+ satellites. Google Navigation locked from inside my house faster than it ever did on my Droid before this new phone. The Droid would lock in OK outside or when driving but no so much in the house. This is with SkyNet on. Anyway, it works for this Captivate user. Try it, frustrated ones.

All of the variations of the fixes simply change the SUPL server, which is used for AGPS (assisted GPS). For those who are not aware, it takes advantage of your phone's data connection to make a faster lock. The problem with the Galaxy S phones is more severe (supposedly with the Broadcom dedicated unit according to another XDA poster).

Changing the server may get you a faster assisted lock by a few milliseconds or so, but the point is this is still an assisted lock. The Galaxy S is still the final step of the process. In other words, this is a band-aid. I'm wary of any posts that claim that any AGPS related setting results in a complete "fix."

Last edited:

tweak89

Aug 1, 2008
None of the current fixes have made much of a long term difference for me. Rebooting the phone seems to have the same effect as these fixes. As soon as I reboot the GPS works fine, for a while. But, even then, I usually only lock on 1 or 2 satellites.

I am at the crossroads with this phone. Today is my last day to be able to return the phone and I am kind of struggling with the decision. Great phone overall, but unlike some, I use the GPS function quite often (as do many apps). Decisions, decisions....

cabfeegig

Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone studied any of the log files on their device for clues? There are several (I might add they grow quickly).

Specifically: /data/CGPS_LOG.txt, /data/HALGPS_config.cfg, /data/NAV_DEBUG.txt, /data/NMEA_DEBUG.txt, and /data/gps/secgps.conf?

Last edited:

thunderstruck!

Apr 7, 2009
Chicago
It is starting to sound more like an issue with hardware that has some kind of problems. Software can only do so much-perhaps the new chipset needs some kind of alts to make it work properly. If I am using the GPS and in an area I'm unfamiliar with, I needs full time GPS, not part time GPS. I really liked the phone when I looked at it, but I am a little leery of a company that apparently didn't test the phone out too well.

sissykicker

Aug 5, 2010
accuracy still way off

I use my tracks, and before the fix it registered a 2.6 mile run at 3.7 miles. After the fix exactly the same thing. The weird thing for me is that it will be dead on for a while, and then wildly veer off.

My 30 days are almost up, and I'm not gonna trust that Samsung will fix the issue. Mapmyrun was my most used app on the iphone, and MyTracks would be on the Galaxy. So there's no point in my keeping this phone.

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010
Has anyone studied any of the log files on their device for clues? There are several (I might add they grow quickly).

Specifically: /data/CGPS_LOG.txt, /data/HALGPS_config.cfg, /data/NAV_DEBUG.txt, /data/NMEA_DEBUG.txt, and /data/gps/secgps.conf?

Some of the best black-box analytical work on this issue is being done over in the forum for the international version of the Galaxy S, the I9000. See the investigation by UK user sjdean in this thread, beginning at about post #289 about the logs.

The short answer is that the logs have been looked at but no one has said Eureka yet.

If you read between the lines of all those hundreds of comments, there is some reasonably optimistic news about new firmware and drivers in development by both Samsung and Broadcom, the maker of the BMC4751 GPS chip. But there still is no ironclad assurance that there are no hardware problems as part of the root cause.

thunderstruck!

Apr 7, 2009
Chicago
To those inquiring about GPS on Captivate or Vibrant, R&D is working hard on this. Thanks for your patience. We'll tweet new info here.^Leah
3:59 PM Jul 29th via CoTweet

usery

Jul 23, 2010
tweet from Samsung PR does not a solution/fix make

To those inquiring about GPS on Captivate or Vibrant, R&D is working hard on this. Thanks for your patience. We'll tweet new info here.^Leah
3:59 PM Jul 29th via CoTweet

One tweet from some Samsung Electronics PR hack does not a solution/fix make.

This is the company that was fined $300,000,000 in 2005 for price-fixing, "... the second-largest criminal antitrust fine in U.S. history.." (search web for "Samsung Electronics antitrust conviction"). Do you think they're committed and able to do the right thing, promptly, in the face of what is a chump-change issue for their mobile division?

If the Galaxy S is hardware-defective, Samsung Electronics will apply the same level of integrity as any other for-profit corporation in the face of a costly recall. Think Toyota, but on a smaller scale.

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
actually, toyota is a bad example to be using - toyota has been pretty much exonerated on the acceleration issue - the NHTSA found the majority of instances, where they inspected the black boxes, showed no indication of user applying brakes

and the same agency, since 2002, has had over 20,000 of similiar reports of un-intended acceleration, ACROSS ALL BRANDS, with no unusual population of toyota vehicles in that population

KT

Mar 11, 2005
San Francisco
Hi all...

I tried this fix and it does lock in both in navigation and the compass but still took forever to do so and also the accuracy is bad... the navigation was showing my starting point on the next street (i live on 5th and it showed starting point on 6th once and 4th the second time. Any solutions?

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
Hi all...

I tried this fix and it does lock in both in navigation and the compass but still took forever to do so and also the accuracy is bad... the navigation was showing my starting point on the next street (i live on 5th and it showed starting point on 6th once and 4th the second time. Any solutions?
Disable network based location service?

DATRUTH141

Apr 11, 2008
Los Angeles
Hopefully this may help some people the way it has helped me. I know the proposed gps fix is not a permanent solution, and i know that for many has left individuals with very inaccurate results. I am one person who applied the fix and then applied the optional fix to get 12 satellites to sjow up on the test. Afterwards i got quick lock ons but inaccurate positioning. Next i changed the port number, the address, and the gps mode all back to the original factory settings. I left the test results the way they were, locking on to ten or more satellites. After rwbooting my phone i have been getting completely accurate gps information as well aa turn by turn navigation without a problem. Hopefully this will help some if not many. Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

phonepersonality

Apr 30, 2009
I tried all the GPS fixes (and messed around with a quite a bit of my own) and none of them seemed to work really well.
I decided to go back to the default settings i.e.

Standalone
www.spirent-lcs.com
....Yada yada.

My GPS is locking to 3-4 really quickly now.
Indoors!

Weird :)

tundra84

Oct 16, 2009
Like many of you folks, i've been having lots problems with the GPS. And like many of you, I also am upgrading from the G1 so I know how a good GPS signal is suppose to be like. In many instances, the GS would not sync with the GPS when within the same circumstances, the G1 had no problem.

Inside my home, I now pretty much don't get any good GPS on my GS. Rarely if I patiently wait, it will connect. When testing with the GPS TEST, the damn thing would not even connect a satellite.

AFTER FIX - Everything connects REALLY REALLY FAST and ACCURATE

PS - These are not my own but I found them online by username e-wrecked

STEPS

1 - Disable "Use Wireless Networks" - Settings / Location & Security

2 - Dial *#*#1472365#*#*

3 - Under "Application settings" Change "Operation Mode" to MS Based

4 - Under "SUPL/CP Settings" Change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 [ Do not use www. in front of supl]

5 - REBOOT

6 - Turn back on the "User Wireless Networks"

7 - PRAISE GOD

----------------------------------------------------------------
PS - If you need to get back to default here are the specs

DEFAULT - OPERATION MODE - Standalone
Server - www.spirent-lcs.com
Port - 7275

Didn't help me much. Although it is pretty fun watching my location icon move around all phantom like XD but seriously, if samsung doesn't fix this issue soon this thing is going back to tmobile...

theanalyst

Jul 22, 2010
I tried the fix as well. It was no better than the default. Sometimes the gps works, other times it doesn't. And when the GPS does work, it is slow.