Kept my unlimited plan when I upgraded on 01/06/13

Search This thread

thenuke1

Jan 14, 2013
Los Angeles 818
I was able to keep my unlimited data plan when I upgraded to the note II

Found a neighborhood wireless Verizon vendor at the mall and he made his phone pitch and i said I probably won't use the upgrade since I didn't want to lose my unlimited plan. The guy then asked what phone I wanted (this was last october) I told him I didn't even know what phones where out since upgrading was not an option

He then told me what if there was a way of keeping my unlimited plan would I then buy from him. I laughed and said sure... He then viewed my account and then told me that one of my lines was up in the following week (which was november) and my line was up in January. He told me to comeback in a few days with a phone in mind and he would help me out.

The line that was up was my sisters and I told her about it and she was willing to be the guinea pig. We went back the following week with my sister wanting an Iphone they did the whole process and sure enough her plan stayed at unlimited data.

Someone advised me to look at my online, physical, and app statements for the next 3 months just to verify the plan stayed unlimited and that they didn't pull some shady move. The plan stayed unlimited all 3 months.

So I went back with the note 2 in mind and this time someone else that knew the loophole was there and she helped me out as well this time I watched the process. Apparently they pull 2 phones out from stock the phone you want and a phone that doesn't require a data plan they scan the dataless phone and she showed me ok look just so you know there's your unlimited plan still in tact then they scan the phone your buying to complete the process that's what I was able to see.

There was a catch which was I had to buy 50 bucks in accessories which I didn't mind since I needed a case and I got the other box defender

2013-01-16141741.png

I live in the San Fernando Valley if anyone is interested pm me and ill give you the location and name of the guy at the mall

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Samzebian

May 22, 2010
Westfield
could you explain the process as to how they keep the unlimited? They scan a data-less phone and put it on your account? And then they switch it to the new phone?

derichio02

Dec 31, 2006
Please PM me the info please. I live in Palmdale but will gladly drive to sfv to keep unlimited to buy another note and give this one to my wife

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Did your buddy ever do it?

bigjonmoo73

Oct 24, 2010
Denton
Has anyone else tried this tactic at any other Verizon dealer? I'm curious if they all know about it or if you were lucky with the Verizon people in your area.

yyhd

Apr 2, 2011
California
Oh snaps. I live in NorCal but travel down south numerous times each year. I should get this info from you!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk only because my kids are playing with the Note 2.

reloaded89

Sep 29, 2009
The vendor is just upgrading a line of yours to a regular phone and then just doing a hardware swap on eroes or whatever system they're using. You're keeping your unlimited data this way but the vendor is pretty much screwing themselves over. Verizon isn't going to pay them on the backend for the subsidies on the phone. The $50 catch is pretty much just so they can increase their accessory attach rates.

I know this cause I work for best buy mobile and we just fired some idiot for doing this during the holidays

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

No to double post, but there are better ways to keep your unlimited data. If you have a family plan and an old data less phone, upgrade a basic phone line and then (after you leave the store), swap that number onto your old dumb phone and then just put your 4g sim card into the new phone. If you dont have a sim card, just buy a blank sim from Verizon. By hardware swapping, youve dropped that new $30 data plan for the other line and you've switched onto a 4g phone and kept unlimited data

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
you can use another lines upgrade on your plan and keep unlimited data...however nobody on your plan including yourself can use the upgrade on your line without losing unlimited. this is nothing new alot of us have been doing this for a bit now. Enjoy the note2 its a great device!

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

lil_haiti

Jan 23, 2013
I have 2 phones on Family Plan

I have 2 Verizon phones on a 8 gb shared data plan. How do I get this to actually work?

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
I did something similar to keep my data. I called customer service and asked to talk to customer retention. I then told them that I was wanting to keep my unlimited data and was thinking about pulling my 4 phone lines to unlimited sprint. They had me pick a phone since my line was up for renewal. They activated it on my wifes line as a transfer phone. After that they activated it on me line as a transfer phone too and reactivated my wifes original phone on her line. I was guaranteed to keep unlimited and I still have it. This was back in December.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Rootuser3.0

May 18, 2011
I have 3 lines all available for upgrade I also have unlimited data on all 3 lines what if course mine as being the main line I will not upgrade any lines I'm scared they will put me on shared any ideas of doing this I'm pretty cool with the Verizon guys by me what should i tell them? Any info in would greatly appreciate it thanks guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lambo172

Jul 28, 2010
I would just switch one of the upgrades to another line that doesn't have the upgrade then switch the note II to your line. Before you do this, ask Verizon. I know transferring an upgrade from a line with unlimited data to a line that doesn't have it works since I triple checked with Verizon (which worked when I did it in December)

Sent from my Note II

Rootuser3.0

May 18, 2011
OK I have all smartphones with unlimited can I just add a another line to my phone get the note 2 then transfer the note 2 to my line and put a dummy phone on the newly added line and just pay the $10 extra?

thenuke1

Jan 14, 2013
Los Angeles 818
you can use another lines upgrade on your plan and keep unlimited data...however nobody on your plan including yourself can use the upgrade on your line without losing unlimited. this is nothing new alot of us have been doing this for a bit now. Enjoy the note2 its a great device!

that would work IF someone in my family plan didn't want to use the upgrade

OK I have all smartphones with unlimited can I just add a another line to my phone get the note 2 then transfer the note 2 to my line and put a dummy phone on the newly added line and just pay the $10 extra?

thats the only road to take if you dont want to lose your unlimited data on your phones.

BTW you cant really tell any Verizon guys to do what was done for me ... they'll laugh at you all day lol.

Rootuser3.0

May 18, 2011
that would work IF someone in my family plan didn't want to use the upgrade

thats the only road to take if you dont want to lose your unlimited data on your phones.

BTW you cant really tell any Verizon guys to do what was done for me ... they'll laugh at you all day lol.

I'm pretty cool with Verizon guys so I might ask them I'll keep you updated its who you know now what you know

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The point is that you CAN'T get unlimited anymore. You can only do everything in your power to keep it. Those that have an existing line with unlimited and want to keep it? Add a line, or upgrade an alternate line and switch the new phone to your unlimited. And for the love of God do not switch to share everything as it will kick the unltd. Off all your lines.

I have 2 Verizon phones on a 8 gb shared data plan. How do I get this to actually work?

You don't.