[Q] Trying to reflash with stock firmware using JODIN3

Search This thread

dgriffi

Feb 8, 2013
After fooling around with CyanogenMod, I decided that I want to put the stock firmware back on my P3113. So I acquired the firmware from here: hxxp://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-P3113 (which I then unpacked) and JODIN3 (Linux64) release 1035. I've already installed Heimdall with the packages pointed to from hxxp://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/.

I started JODIN3, pressed the PDA button, and gave it the file "HOME_XAR_P3113UEUCMK3_1978026_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5". It wants to get a pit file from the device. I let it do that and put the tablet back into download mode. Then I pressed "start". JODIN3 then complained that the firmware file was corrupt. I tried a few more times. The unzip program on my computer seemed satisfied that the zipfile was not corrupt. Tar seemed satisfied that the tar file within was not corrupt.

I then tried feeding JODIN3 the zipfile itself. That caused JODIN3 to ask to download a pit, which I allowed. I pressed "start" and then it complained that the pit file was corrupt.

After repeating the above several times, I tried again with the .tar.md5 file. That seemed to do something. The spew in the xterm in which I
started JODIN3 flashed the names of the six file contained within. The spew then kept printing stuff about "heimdall detect" confirming that a
device was attached. Nothing new was printed to the JODIN3 GUI. I let it sit there for 30 minutes. Nothing -- not even a complaint of
something being corrupt. Scrolling back in the xterm, I saw this:

Exception in thread "Thread-103" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.OdinFile.extractOdinContents(OdinFile.java:145)
at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.Odin.getHeimdallFileParametersFromOdinFile(Odin.java:50)
at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.getHeimdallCommandFromOdinPackageList(JOdinController.java:619)
at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.access$3300(JOdinController.java:53)
at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController$13.run(JOdinController.java:570)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
[DEBUG]Run Heimdall from
DeviceCommunicationProtocol:/usr/local/bin/heimdall detect

Now, the questions: Am I doing anything wrong here? Can somone suggest a known-good version of JODIN3? I quick check of my system gives me to reason to suspect I'm legitimately out of memory.

Using regular Odin isn't an option because I don't use Windows and I can't make it work with Virtualbox. I hear there are problems inherent to emulation that prevent Odin from working correctly there. Trying to run the plain jar file doesn't work because it complains that it needs a newer version of Java. I'm running OpenJDK7 and that seems to be what the Linux64 package uses. Someone, please help me out here.

SEANDROID

Feb 15, 2011
Eagle Mountain
After fooling around with CyanogenMod, I decided that I want to put the stock firmware back on my P3113. So I acquired the firmware from here: hxxp://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-P3113 (which I then unpacked) and JODIN3 (Linux64) release 1035. I've already installed Heimdall with the packages pointed to from hxxp://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/.

I started JODIN3, pressed the PDA button, and gave it the file "HOME_XAR_P3113UEUCMK3_1978026_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5". It wants to get a pit file from the device. I let it do that and put the tablet back into download mode. Then I pressed "start". JODIN3 then complained that the firmware file was corrupt. I tried a few more times. The unzip program on my computer seemed satisfied that the zipfile was not corrupt. Tar seemed satisfied that the tar file within was not corrupt.

I then tried feeding JODIN3 the zipfile itself. That caused JODIN3 to ask to download a pit, which I allowed. I pressed "start" and then it complained that the pit file was corrupt.

After repeating the above several times, I tried again with the .tar.md5 file. That seemed to do something. The spew in the xterm in which I
started JODIN3 flashed the names of the six file contained within. The spew then kept printing stuff about "heimdall detect" confirming that a
device was attached. Nothing new was printed to the JODIN3 GUI. I let it sit there for 30 minutes. Nothing -- not even a complaint of
something being corrupt. Scrolling back in the xterm, I saw this:

Exception in thread "Thread-103" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.OdinFile.extractOdinContents(OdinFile.java:145)
at CASUAL.communicationstools.heimdall.odin.Odin.getHeimdallFileParametersFromOdinFile(Odin.java:50)
at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.getHeimdallCommandFromOdinPackageList(JOdinController.java:619)
at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController.access$3300(JOdinController.java:53)
at com.casual_dev.jodin.JOdinController$13.run(JOdinController.java:570)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
[DEBUG]Run Heimdall from
DeviceCommunicationProtocol:/usr/local/bin/heimdall detect

Now, the questions: Am I doing anything wrong here? Can somone suggest a known-good version of JODIN3? I quick check of my system gives me to reason to suspect I'm legitimately out of memory.

Using regular Odin isn't an option because I don't use Windows and I can't make it work with Virtualbox. I hear there are problems inherent to emulation that prevent Odin from working correctly there. Trying to run the plain jar file doesn't work because it complains that it needs a newer version of Java. I'm running OpenJDK7 and that seems to be what the Linux64 package uses. Someone, please help me out here.

Apparently Jodin3 does not support Stock Firmware flashing at this time...

riches2rags

May 6, 2011
san jose, ca
cant flash a .tar.gz file

I started JODIN3, pressed the PDA button, and gave it the file...

After repeating the above several times, ...

Using regular Odin isn't an option because I don't use Windows ...

So, the last reply to this thread branch was nearly a year ago. I'm having identical difficulties. Every time I download the pit file from my Galaxy S3 and hit the start button I get the corrupt pit file error message. Additionally, I have an impossible time getting jOdin3 to pick up my phone after the reboot to pull the pit file. If this is a Heimdall shortcoming it makes the an impossibly useless utility for me, at least for the time being.

I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid vervet? friends don't let friends use Windows...) with all the latest updates. I've downloaded and built Heimdall and Heimdall-frontend. The binaries are in my shell's PATH variable, as is that of the platform-tools folder for the android sdk. I have the latest java update from the oracle site, both x64 and i386 libraries.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really expecting a fix or help in this regard. This is more just sort of a status ping with regards to the issue. I'm going to go back to using Heimdall-frontend directly. I had to package the firmware I wanted to flash so I could use jOdin3 anyway. I just wanted to avoid the desmadre that happens sometimes when flashing firmware from Heimdall (seems to hang after trying to flash a modem partition, sometimes, and I'm not at all sure I can characterize the conditions of the failure). I'm trying to take my UCUFNE4 I747 firmware back to a T-Mobile T999UCALJ2 setup which purportedly enables the AWS/LTE 1700/2100 band AND unlocks the unit to T-Mobile (I'm a feeling a bit incredulous at this point....). And, yes, I've pulled the aboot.img file out of the package I'm installing. God forbid I step on the Samsung/Qualcomm/ATT locked primary bootloader and brick my second GS3 (8}

Hasn't seemed to be an issue doing this before, I took it back to DLK3 to see if I could get the hidden service menus back, unfortunately to no avail. At this point I just want to cut to the chase. I've spent a month of more than full time effort getting to the point I'm comfortable with what I'm about to do, although I still have nagging doubts and a feeling of uncertainty, lol. At this point I'm about ready to offer myself back to the development gods and take on some real work. I vowed I'd NEVER go back to being a software developer after the stock market crash of 2001 cost me my house et al and left me homeless (another long saga for another time and place)... :p

'nuf said, off to the races. See you on the other side of Heimdall

BTW, good work Adam, I am impressed! just chagrined that this won't serve my current purposes. peace out:cool:

one last thing, if anyone knows how I can change the ro.anyprop properties in the build props file so they stick (they didn't from a terminal emulator via the setprop command), please inform me. I want my phone to tell the world it's a(n aboriginal) TMO unit even though it's really a red-headed step child. Quality goes in before the label goes on....:eek:

Reactions: mustafa138

jrc2

Nov 7, 2013

So, the last reply to this thread branch was nearly a year ago. I'm having identical difficulties. Every time I download the pit file from my Galaxy S3 and hit the start button I get the corrupt pit file error message. Additionally, I have an impossible time getting jOdin3 to pick up my phone after the reboot to pull the pit file. If this is a Heimdall shortcoming it makes the an impossibly useless utility for me, at least for the time being.

I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid vervet? friends don't let friends use Windows...) with all the latest updates. I've downloaded and built Heimdall and Heimdall-frontend. The binaries are in my shell's PATH variable, as is that of the platform-tools folder for the android sdk. I have the latest java update from the oracle site, both x64 and i386 libraries.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really expecting a fix or help in this regard. This is more just sort of a status ping with regards to the issue. I'm going to go back to using Heimdall-frontend directly. I had to package the firmware I wanted to flash so I could use jOdin3 anyway. I just wanted to avoid the desmadre that happens sometimes when flashing firmware from Heimdall (seems to hang after trying to flash a modem partition, sometimes, and I'm not at all sure I can characterize the conditions of the failure). I'm trying to take my UCUFNE4 I747 firmware back to a T-Mobile T999UCALJ2 setup which purportedly enables the AWS/LTE 1700/2100 band AND unlocks the unit to T-Mobile (I'm a feeling a bit incredulous at this point....). And, yes, I've pulled the aboot.img file out of the package I'm installing. God forbid I step on the Samsung/Qualcomm/ATT locked primary bootloader and brick my second GS3 (8}

Hasn't seemed to be an issue doing this before, I took it back to DLK3 to see if I could get the hidden service menus back, unfortunately to no avail. At this point I just want to cut to the chase. I've spent a month of more than full time effort getting to the point I'm comfortable with what I'm about to do, although I still have nagging doubts and a feeling of uncertainty, lol. At this point I'm about ready to offer myself back to the development gods and take on some real work. I vowed I'd NEVER go back to being a software developer after the stock market crash of 2001 cost me my house et al and left me homeless (another long saga for another time and place)... :p

BTW, good work Adam, I am impressed! just chagrined that this won't serve my current purposes. peace out:cool:

one last thing, if anyone knows how I can change the ro.anyprop properties in the build props file so they stick (they didn't from a terminal emulator via the setprop command), please inform me. I want my phone to tell the world it's a(n aboriginal) TMO unit even though it's really a red-headed step child. Quality goes in before the label goes on....:eek:

This thread is for the Tab 2, not S3. Please post in the correct forum for your device.

jrc2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cant flash a .tar.gz file

I started JODIN3, pressed the PDA button, and gave it the file...

After repeating the above several times, ...

Using regular Odin isn't an option because I don't use Windows ...