[Q] v21y/GB 2.3.4 update causes apps to not be able to install/update

Search This thread

mikefarny

Feb 25, 2012
I recieved the OTA update for the G2x to the latest v21y firmware and Gingerbread 2.3.4 OS. Everything seems to have gone fine, except that now in Google Play apps it gives me the following error when trying to install or update *any* app:

'Error downloading "xxx". There is insufficient space on the device.'

Of course, I have an additional 8 GB micro SD card that is almost totally empty, and the internal phone storage has 3.2 GB available. The phone memory lists 0.94 GB available as well.

I followed the usual advice of clear data / clear cache for both Google Play and Download Manager. I unmounted/mounted both phone and SD cards. I turned off the phone, pulled the battery for a bit, took out the external SD card, put the battery back in, and booted back up. I rebooted a bunch of times. I put the external SD card back in. I cleared off extra crud from phone storage via a file manager, and I cleared caches on all installed apps.

This has never happened before, and directly after the update it has happened 100% of the time I have tried.

Any ideas? Is this happening to anyone else who got the update? (I'm completely on stock, btw, still not out of warranty.)

mikefarny

Feb 25, 2012
Oh reading fails me sometimes. Try wiping cache and dalvik in cwm maybe.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Does that require rooting? I haven't installed CWM yet, as I was holding off on all the experimentation until my year was up. :)

If there's no other usual thing to try, if T-mo doesn't come back with a reasonable response I suppose that's the next step.

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Does that require rooting? I haven't installed CWM yet, as I was holding off on all the experimentation until my year was up. :)

If there's no other usual thing to try, if T-mo doesn't come back with a reasonable response I suppose that's the next step.

No it requires Nvflashing cwm. But that will ruin your "warranty" on a end of life phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Or a factory reset beofre rooting, although if you factory reset might as well root the phone lol.

kwes1020

Apr 19, 2011
Port Arthur, Texas
Or a factory reset beofre rooting, although if you factory reset might as well root the phone lol.

You can factory reset without root. That's what T-Mobile will tell you to do anyways. I've went through six g2x in the past two weeks...that's their answer to everything lol

Last edited:

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
I'm aware of that, just saying that's an option.

mikefarny

Feb 25, 2012
So a factory reset fixed it. I didn't have to wipe the phone and external SD, and so I'm just reinstalling apps and setting up a few of them. This was a good time for some spring cleaning anyway, I suppose.

It was probably some stupid permissions thing, but without root I can't even fix that.

g1user101

Apr 16, 2010
OC
So a factory reset fixed it. I didn't have to wipe the phone and external SD, and so I'm just reinstalling apps and setting up a few of them. This was a good time for some spring cleaning anyway, I suppose.

It was probably some stupid permissions thing, but without root I can't even fix that.

U got the ota? Nandroid it, and send it to kwes

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

mariuscm

May 1, 2011
Chicago
What is this update supposed to accomplish anyway? I'm rooted and trying ROMS pretty much every week (since no ICS rom works for me as a daily driver). Should I / can I do the update to 21y?

Last edited:

v793jt

May 3, 2012
V21y 2.3.4 Rooted Touch Key lights

so everything else works fine when it comes to rooted app root request, but for some reason when a touch key light app request permisson it can do the job of adjusting the touchkey brightness, however the screen becomes very unresponsive, to the point where you cant slide left and right... I have run out of ideas as to why this is? has anyone else experienced this? I like to be able to turn that brightness down

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm aware of that, just saying that's an option.

I root everything I get on day one. Nothing stock and limiting my user options appeals to me. You can always revert to stock or if you hard brick no one could tell anyways.