How to listen FM radio as a standalone app

Search This thread

martinml

Sep 10, 2010
If you, like me, hate the stock Motorola music player but don't want to lose its integrated FM radio function, you'll like this.

Just download the attached APK and install it the usual way. It's been working great so far for me, even RDS, loudspeaker and all! And I like the interface more than the Motorola music player.

The APK is from a Droid 2, the radio hardware seems to be the same.

Please note that I tried this only in a European Defy, with the Central European SBF (JRDNEM_U3_2.34.1).

UPDATE 5th june 2011
Thanks to maniac103 there is now a fixed version of the app that fixes the crashes and problems saving stations. I tried on my 2.1 Defy and it's now rock solid! It also fixed the ugly icon in the notification bar.

Find the new version attached to this post, it's called FMRadio_fixed.apk.

Attachments

• FMRadio.apk
    310.4 KB · Views: 14,903
  • FMRadio_fixed.apk
    252.7 KB · Views: 23,133
Last edited:

tensan

Dec 30, 2010
Burgos
I have already installed. its much better than the default application. you can save radios, listen from the speaker, and my default application didn't let me to put off the radio when I let it many time on.

thanks a lot!!

Rhyr

Nov 20, 2006
Vercelli
It work great on firmware U3 _2.21.0!
Thanks, this app it's more usefull and beautifull than the original one :)
Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

maprix

Jan 4, 2011
Heidelberg
I've problems after altering the radio station list. If I save a station manually inside the list the radio app exits but the radio is still playing and the icon inside the status bar is still available. Also killing and restarting the radio app does't work.

martinml

Sep 10, 2010
I've problems after altering the radio station list. If I save a station manually inside the list the radio app exits but the radio is still playing and the icon inside the status bar is still available. Also killing and restarting the radio app does't work.

Same happens to me, but reopening and then closing the app with Quick Exit worked fine.

Dec 7, 2010
Hey :) great work... Not being able to listen with loudspeaker was the worst thing about my moto... So this is perfect

heglen

Dec 24, 2010
Thanks a bunch, this just turned my phone close to perfect. Now I just want an official, european, rootable no-Blur Gingerbread :-D

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Dec 7, 2010
Hi! After a few days using this I have a couple of issues.... After getting it to work it's fine, but actually getting it to work is a pain!

Worked first time no problem:) however after that all I get is the initialising screen and nothing else... Have to force close to get the application to exit and manually end the fm service to try and start it again... If I want to listen to fm radio again I have to reboot or use crap stock player:(

Anyone else have experiences like this?

spamnco

Jan 2, 2011
Hi! After a few days using this I have a couple of issues.... After getting it to work it's fine, but actually getting it to work is a pain!

Worked first time no problem:) however after that all I get is the initialising screen and nothing else... Have to force close to get the application to exit and manually end the fm service to try and start it again... If I want to listen to fm radio again I have to reboot or use crap stock player:(

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Yep same here + using bookmarks makes the app quit to the Defy's home. This app really doesn't seem to work fine on this phone :(

Dec 7, 2010
Well it isn't really for this phone... So not wholly disappointed! Ok I'm gonna struggle on and go back to my original idea which is a loudspeaker toggle, now I have my nice new android phone I just need to work out how to use it;-)

buzybee

Jan 1, 2011
You're a star for putting this up for grabs.
Just what I wanted.
Played with it for a few a couple of days now and have had none of the issues others report.

If you use the stock earphones with switch that come with the Defy I discovered it found 6 six stations after scanning and reception certainly wasn't wow.
Did a rescan with a crappy set of £5 Phillips earphones, no mic no in line switches & it picked up 14 stations on scan. Reception is improved too.

And yes I did the scans in the same place and roughly the same time of day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you, like me, hate the stock Motorola music player but don't want to lose its integrated FM radio function, you'll like this.

Just download the attached APK and install it the usual way. It's been working great so far for me, even RDS, loudspeaker and all! And I like the interface more than the Motorola music player.

The APK is from a Droid 2, the radio hardware seems to be the same.

Please note that I tried this only in a European Defy, with the Central European SBF (JRDNEM_U3_2.34.1).

UPDATE 5th june 2011
    Thanks to maniac103 there is now a fixed version of the app that fixes the crashes and problems saving stations. I tried on my 2.1 Defy and it's now rock solid! It also fixed the ugly icon in the notification bar.

Find the new version attached to this post, it's called FMRadio_fixed.apk.
    Good app mate,now for those who have problems saving and reloading Stations,its a tricky thing but i got the hang of it XD.

Delete all the Stations you have saved -> Exit app -> Run app again and go on "Yes do a scan" ,Let it scan the 20 stations -> After that,just go over the Frequency of the Radio you want to save -> Now long press on a Radio saved in the list below that you dont want -> "Replace"

And now it will work ^^

Warning! : Dont change the name of the saved stations! Or they will stop working.
    Just let it as 88.0MHz (For exemple) And it will change the name automatically after it sync'ed perfectly.

Respect ^^