I've never met an Android problem I couldn't fix until today. Help?

Search This thread

Thracks

May 9, 2010
Austin
Good evening, XDA. I have a Nexus 4, the bootloader is unlocked but it's otherwise running the 4.4.2 factory image as of this post (act of desperation).

I have a working data connection on cellular: syncing, downloads and all such matters work just fine. But the connection indicator in the notification shade toggles will not turn orange. If I put the device into airplane mode, then exit airplane mode, it's orange for approximately 5 seconds and reverts to the white state.

If I enable WiFi, the same issue occurs: orange for a few seconds, then reverts to white.

I am no beginner. I've modded hundreds of devices. I know the OS like the back of my hand. I've rescued dozens of devices by jtag. I cannot state strongly enough how many troubleshooting steps I've taken. If it was on Google or XDA, I've tried it: verified APN settings, cleared services framework, go back to stock, try a new ROM, try a new modem, try a new kernel, airplane mode and back, swap SIMs, etc. etc. etc.

I am here because I am hoping the collective wisdom, as a last resort, can solve this problem. How does the same issue persist on both cellular and wifi data?!

And while we're at it, does anyone know why my Nexus 4 doesn't exceed 0.6Mbps on 5GHZ 802.11n?

dpasut

Sep 22, 2013
Toronto
Good evening, XDA. I have a Nexus 4, the bootloader is unlocked but it's otherwise running the 4.4.2 factory image as of this post (act of desperation).

I have a working data connection on cellular: syncing, downloads and all such matters work just fine. But the connection indicator in the notification shade toggles will not turn orange. If I put the device into airplane mode, then exit airplane mode, it's orange for approximately 5 seconds and reverts to the white state.

It turns orange when you do not have a data connection. Thats all this indicates. Other than that I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. After your phone has made a connection to either wifi or mobile data, it takes a few seconds to properly set up the connection, then turns white again.

White=connected to the internet
Orange=connection problem

I'm by no means a pro, if I'm wrong I'd be happy if someone corrected me :)

Thracks

May 9, 2010
Austin
It turns orange when you do not have a data connection. Thats all this indicates. Other than that I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. After your phone has made a connection to either wifi or mobile data, it takes a few seconds to properly set up the connection, then turns white again.

White=connected to the internet
Orange=connection problem

I'm by no means a pro, if I'm wrong I'd be happy if someone corrected me :)

I thought orange was the new blue in terms of indicating connectivity! So to confirm: not only did they move connection color-coding to the drawer, they swapped the states? e.g. color = no connection, whereas it used to mean that you DID have one?

dpasut

Sep 22, 2013
Toronto