[Q] How well do you think the Find 7a will be supported by the community?

Search This thread

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
The VOOC charging has nothing to do with software.

I'd really love to flash OMNI or CM into my Find 7a but i really like the features that Color OS has, such as the off screen gestures and the double tap the home button to wake the phone. I'd really love to see the dev teams port those features to the ROMs, maybe Entropy can enlighten me on this.

Screen-off gestures and dt2w are almost entirely in the touchscreen firmware and kernel. There are only minor changes needed to the system OS to support them. I don't remember the details, but keep in mind - Omni already supports these features on the Oppo N1.

VOOC does have a software role, but it's entirely in the kernel and we rebased all of Oppo's changes onto a newer CAF baseline and they seem to be working.

Maxxaudio is just a system EQ, as are basically any software-driven sound changes. I personally will be putting zero effort into maxxaudio because I think it's a cheesy gimmick - 95% hype and 5% actual functionality.

There's a possibility the UHD 50mp camera stuff is entirely done in the camera HAL so it may not be too hard to support it.

Reactions: Pick_A_Name

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Sounds extremely promising so far. Do you happen to know about Dirac though and whether it will be possible to incorporate that into omni?

Dirac is just a workaround for cheap headphones. It's entirely unnecessary (and based on reviews, can actually hurt sound quality) when used with decent headphones/earbuds. ("decent" even includes those $7 Monoprice buds, especially when combined with $20 Comply foam tips)

Reactions: Pick_A_Name

betold

Mar 12, 2014
Munich
This thread made my day. I was already thinking about selling my F7a. Only because of its software. With Omni on it I would be happy!

Would love to contribute my time in testing. CM11s on a F7a would also be an awesome thing.

Big thanks to all devs whom making this happen.

MrColdbird

Nov 25, 2011
www.black-seraph.com
I'm still rooting for Omni (Entropy) here. It has most of the "useful" features that I want and that with a cleaner codebase / revisioning system than ColorOS where the version number means absolutely nothing.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Good chance of an Omni test build with the basics working (none of the "special" niche features like screen-off gestures and dt2w yet, VOOC does work since that's 100% in-kernel and it would've been impossible to get working charging without working VOOC when I rebased the kernel during bringup) in the next few days. I've had a lot of help from Jake Whatley who does Omni maintenance on other devices along with Hieu Nguyen and Andre Saddler from Paranoid Android.

It's working on my device, and is at daily driver stage for me. (actually I've been daily driving it since last weekend because I can live w/o functioning camera). While normally the rule is "no ETAs", I currently have working builds on my personal phone so for a test build it's just a matter of me getting the time to actually clean up and merge things and actually upload something.

Known issues:
Very rare spontaneous reboots due to the wifi firmware (WCNSS) crashing. As in I noticed one this week. The frequent random reboots of last week have been resolved.
HDR does not appear to do anything in camera. I have a couple of ideas why, I just need time which I don't have. (Going to be out all evening tonight, probably out tomorrow night)
Microphone in speaker calls doesn't work. Earpiece calls and BT calls work.
Recording video is totally untested. In fact it's almost guaranteed that the same issues which cause mic to not work in speaker calls will also cause audio to fail during video recording.

Working well:
Wifi
Mobile data (small issue that LTE doesn't work until you manually enable it in Settings)
GPS/network location (Tested with Ingress, Foursquare, and Google Maps Navigation)
Bluetooth for calls and anything Google Glass relies on, along with Bluetooth OBD interfaces used by Torque Pro. Other BT stuff should work but I just haven't tested it it at all
Hardware accelerated video playback (tested in MX Player, but not tested with anything else)

In short:
Anything related to my current routine personal use cases is working spectacularly well now.

My DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ ( http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus ) arrived last Thursday so any time the weather is good I'm out flying it and I may have a visitor this weekend which are the main things impacting my work over the next few days.

Last edited:

seanpr123

Oct 5, 2011
South Florida
Ok first off, that Phantom looks insane.
Would love to see some test video you shoot after up and running.

Secondly, that's awesome news about the build. Sounds like you guys put in a lot of work and it's paying off, thanks much.
When you get a thread up for it be sure to include a donate link, I'll send a few bucks your way now if you have an email to use.

MrColdbird

Nov 25, 2011
www.black-seraph.com
Impressive on all ends. Can't wait to get a first taste of omni.

It seems like you got most of it nailed already, I bet it won't take you long to figure the rest out.

BTW. Did you check into the svn oppo find 7 conversation group yet entropy?

The oppo engineers built a way more power conserving radio proprietary that could probably end up being useful in omni as well (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Reactions: betold

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Impressive on all ends. Can't wait to get a first taste of omni.

It seems like you got most of it nailed already, I bet it won't take you long to figure the rest out.

BTW. Did you check into the svn oppo find 7 conversation group yet entropy?

The oppo engineers built a way more power conserving radio proprietary that could probably end up being useful in omni as well (correct me if I'm wrong).

Huh? The only thing I've found so far is discussion of people fixing some battery life issues by disabling Oppo's lockscreen.

Battery life overnight for me is spectacular. I lose 4% overnight typically on omni. Battery life "out and about" last Saturday was poor, but mpdecision wasn't running (all cores always active) and as much as I have disliked the interactive cpufreq governor in the past, with a 2.3 GHz, ondemand's tendency to jump to max freq is a little too much - since fixing mpdecision and changing governor to interactive battery life has seemed good in all cases.

MrColdbird

Nov 25, 2011
www.black-seraph.com
Huh? The only thing I've found so far is discussion of people fixing some battery life issues by disabling Oppo's lockscreen.

Battery life overnight for me is spectacular. I lose 4% overnight typically on omni. Battery life "out and about" last Saturday was poor, but mpdecision wasn't running (all cores always active) and as much as I have disliked the interactive cpufreq governor in the past, with a 2.3 GHz, ondemand's tendency to jump to max freq is a little too much - since fixing mpdecision and changing governor to interactive battery life has seemed good in all cases.
I would hand it to you myself but we were told not to make them public just yet due to its beta-nature.
But if you want to take a look to evaluate its worth for the Omni project, get in touch with Zeus or Adam on the Oppoforums and ask to get invited into the conversation group.

From what I saw though it reduces the radio and wifi consumption by a good deal (at least on ColorOS).

markic22

Oct 29, 2012
Novo mesto
I can confirm what MrColdbird said. Drainage is solved. Just need to wait probably couple of days to become public. The results are great;)

betold

Mar 12, 2014
Munich
Good chance of an Omni test build with the basics working (none of the "special" niche features like screen-off gestures and dt2w yet, VOOC does work since that's 100% in-kernel and it would've been impossible to get working charging without working VOOC when I rebased the kernel during bringup) in the next few days. I've had a lot of help from Jake Whatley who does Omni maintenance on other devices along with Hieu Nguyen and Andre Saddler from Paranoid Android.

It's working on my device, and is at daily driver stage for me. (actually I've been daily driving it since last weekend because I can live w/o functioning camera). While normally the rule is "no ETAs", I currently have working builds on my personal phone so for a test build it's just a matter of me getting the time to actually clean up and merge things and actually upload something.

Known issues:
Very rare spontaneous reboots due to the wifi firmware (WCNSS) crashing. As in I noticed one this week. The frequent random reboots of last week have been resolved.
HDR does not appear to do anything in camera. I have a couple of ideas why, I just need time which I don't have. (Going to be out all evening tonight, probably out tomorrow night)
Recording video is totally untested. In fact it's almost guaranteed that the same issues which cause mic to not work in speaker calls will also cause audio to fail during video recording.

Working well:
Wifi
Mobile data (small issue that LTE doesn't work until you manually enable it in Settings)
GPS/network location (Tested with Ingress, Foursquare, and Google Maps Navigation)
Bluetooth for calls and anything Google Glass relies on, along with Bluetooth OBD interfaces used by Torque Pro. Other BT stuff should work but I just haven't tested it it at all
Hardware accelerated video playback (tested in MX Player, but not tested with anything else)

In short:
Anything related to my current routine personal use cases is working spectacularly well now.

My DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ ( http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus ) arrived last Thursday so any time the weather is good I'm out flying it and I may have a visitor this weekend which are the main things impacting my work over the next few days.

Thank you so much for doing this!

I would love to offer my time in testing, bug hunting or what ever is needed.

Jup, I also have much better results now running this special ColorOS version. But do you think this would be helpful for 4.4.2?

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
A bit of an update:
Sound is not working as well as I thought. Google Play Music works, but it turns out notification sounds don't. (My phone is almost always on vibrate...)
Every once in a while, some process goes bat**** insane and starts eating battery. It's random and I didn't have the right tools with me to debug it and identify exactly which process last time around. Happened last night while out, and also overnight. Instead of losing 4% battery overnight I lost 75-80% last night!

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
OK, things are a bit farther away than I thought. Serves me right for providing an ETA.

There's a bunch of qcom-specific stuff in frameworks/av that does NOT play nice with newer Qcom devices. I think that's why I don't get notification sounds. (I didn't notice this until a day or two ago as my device is usually on vibrate.)

Merging these fixes also requires us to update our main audio-caf repo, which is something we've been putting off for months, this just gives us yet another reason to do it. (while f7a doesn't use audio-caf, some config items need to be consistent between audio-caf and audio-caf-bfam)

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I suggest do things right, even if it takes longer, unless there is a good reason not to or no gain in doing so.

I and many others will wait for your omni build patiently.

Gesendet von meinem One mit Tapatalk

Well, lets not get carried away, I'm shooting for not being a total pain in the ass in the meantime. Patiently might be a bit of a stretch. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Omni guys and the PA guys have been coordinating on bringup.

We had stalled with almost no progress for a few days but I think I figured out what was wrong and hopefully progress will resume in a day or two.
    Pretty much current state of Omni:

Camera is 100% broken - my top priority now
    Mic in speaker calls is broken. non-speaker calls work OK, so does Bluetooth in calls. Basic audio works, but haven't tested it too much.
    Internal SD is a bit flaky, I think I know what I need to do in order to make it solid but I just need more time.
    I'm having a lot of spontaneous reboots in deep sleep. It's some sort of suspend/resume bug, as there's nothing in last_kmsg other than it going into suspend and never coming out (except via a crash reboot). This may be due to some changes the PA guys sent to attempt to improve power management.

Known issues:

Working well:
    Wifi

In short:

I suggest do things right, even if it takes longer, unless there is a good reason not to or no gain in doing so.

I and many others will wait for your omni build patiently.

Gesendet von meinem One mit Tapatalk
    A bit of an update:
    Sound is not working as well as I thought. Google Play Music works, but it turns out notification sounds don't. (My phone is almost always on vibrate...)
    Every once in a while, some process goes bat**** insane and starts eating battery. It's random and I didn't have the right tools with me to debug it and identify exactly which process last time around. Happened last night while out, and also overnight. Instead of losing 4% battery overnight I lost 75-80% last night!