[ROM] [03/18/2012] GB.XXKPF.WT-0.4.0 for Galaxy Player 5.0 Intl & US

Search This thread

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Glad that it finally works. I will post it as a mod for other to use. Actually, you will get lagfix as a byproduct. I am planning to cook up another one for people who want to revert to rfs.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
I have just posted 2 flashable zips for formatting /system, /data, /datadata and /cache to either ext4 or rfs.

For your information, the installation script of the base ROM is using a recursive delete to clean /system. It won't even touch /data, /datadata and /cache. The reason behind is trying to minimize the damage to your device should a flash fail. But this approach also leaves room for unexpected behavior should some bad data are left behind in some of these partitions.

I suspect some of the bootloop after flashing a ROM is due to some left over files in the file system, these 2 zip will help really clean them up, but use them with care.

Another situation that you may want to use these 2 zip is when you want to go from an ext4 system back to an Odin stock ROMs. Some stock ROMS, will only overwrite your /system partition but not the /data and /datadata partition. So you will likely end up with a hybrid system with /system mounted as rfs but other partition as ext4. To fix that you need to reformat everything to rfs, if you really want a real stock system.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Chinese Locales

Added a mod to enable 3 Chinese locales (HK, China & Taiwan), link in the 1st post. Since the mod will overwrite framework-res.apk, twframework-res.apk and Settings.apk, if you have done any mod on these files, you need to reapply your changes after flashing this mod.

Once you enable one of these locales, you will see Chinese interface for "supported" apps. Still need some time to inject Chinese resources to a number of system apps though.

A couple screenshots are shown below.

Chinese_Locales.png
Simplified_Chinese.png
Traditional_Chinese.png

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
The version is upped to GB.XXKPF.WT-0.3.0. Here are some screenshots of the lidroid's power buttons.

This is how the buttons look like in horizontal mode.
QuickPanel.png

This is how you pick the buttons in the QuickPanel Settings app.
WidgetButtons.png

This is how you reorder the buttons
ButtonOrdering.png

njguyc

Jan 2, 2012
How much free space in system for this rom pls?

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
How much free space in system for this rom pls?

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

It is less than 10M bytes. This is just a rough number because I have been messing around with the system directory recently.

Just to clarify, I haven't deleted any apps carried over from the stock rom. Most of the space gain is due to deodexing the rom. Right now there is still some space left after all the extra modding I added.

Since you bring that up, one of the thing that I am planning to do is to convert some of the system apps to user apps. So people can delete them if they want and it will free up even more space for further modding.

Edit: The 10Mbytes free space I mentioned above is computed after applying lagfix.

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Finally get another version out. In this round, the ROM will not flash the kernel anymore. That means flashing this on a device other than 5.0 international will not cause serious damage. Actually it may work. The worst can happen will likely be just a bootloop ;).

Reactions: Rapydax

Rapydax

Do you have a custom kernel (rj's kernel)? If yes, you can just follow the instructions to flash it under CWM Recovery.

Just to be sure, what is your current software and hardware config?

Nvm I just rooted and I watched a vid on how to flash with cwm.
I have stock rom 2.3.5 atm and international 5.0 player with physical home button. If that's what you meant.

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Nvm I just rooted and I watched a vid on how to flash with cwm.
I have stock rom 2.3.5 atm and international 5.0 player with physical home button. If that's what you meant.

I see. Then you need to go to the kernel thread here and flash the kernel first using Odin. After flashing the kernel, you will actually get the CWM recovery as a by-product.

After that, do a nanadroid backup in CWM. Then you are ready to flash new ROMs.

Rapydax

I see. Then you need to go to the kernel thread here and flash the kernel first using Odin. After flashing the kernel, you will actually get the CWM recovery as a by-product.

After that, do a nanadroid backup in CWM. Then you are ready to flash new ROMs.

Hmm when I try to flash the kernel with odin it fails and then i get a PHONE--(!)--COMPUTER icon. Soft brick. I can get out of the soft-brick but I can't flash anything using Odin, which is weird.

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> zImage
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

what's wrong?

Odin used to work perfectly fine before, but now nothing will work. I tried erytgits rom and several othersbut they all fail :(

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Hmm when I try to flash the kernel with odin it fails and then i get a soft-brick.

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> zImage
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

what's wrong?

Odin used to work perfectly fine before, but now nothing will work. I tried erytgits rom and several othersbut they all fail :(

That's odd. I also see your posts in another thread. Did you recover from a soft-brick recently. May be there is still some left over problems.

BTW, my Odin is v1.85. When I flash kernel, I only flash with the PDA option (without PIT).

dunca123

Apr 13, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
I have a 5.0 US and you said there is no kernel included. I am willing to test. Let me know if anyone else has tried before I do. Thanks.

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA

Rapydax

Allrighty. Good news for me :D

It turned out it was my computer that let Odin fail. I did close all Kies processes and services but still it failed.
Then I moved to another computer (32 bit) and the rj13 kernel flashed :D
I just did the cwm flashing...so far...uhm

crap bootloop now what :( darned I had too much hope

Last edited:

kfirbep

Feb 9, 2012
can you put pictures of the rom to see how it looks like?
and does whatsapp tap tap 4 work with this rom?

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
Allrighty. Good news for me :D

It turned out it was my computer that let Odin fail. I did close all Kies processes and services but still it failed.
Then I moved to another computer (32 bit) and the rj13 kernel flashed :D
I just did the cwm flashing...so far...uhm

crap bootloop now what :( darned I had too much hope

There is a zip package in 1st post called "Format-ext4". Try flashing it before flashing the ROM. It will clean up all the partitions required by the ROM to ensure there are no leftover files from previous ROM.

btriminio

Nov 12, 2007
device vibration

i'm not sure, maybe only is my case, but my the vibrator on my device seems to not work

i try to make a test, send me a mail in vibration mode and the vibrator not start and i install a custom keyboard and turn on the funcion of vibrate on key press and the same the vibrator not start

dunca123

Apr 13, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
I can confirm your theory for US 5.0 it is working just fine. So it IS compatible with the US 5.0 I am using entroph's Kernel.

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA

Reactions: WT Ho

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom ROM GB.XXKPF.WT-0.4.0

Quite a few things are added this round. See the features section below for more information.

Latest News & Status

[03/19/2012] Tested to work on Galaxy Player 5.0 US (thanks to dunca123)
    [03/18/2012] Upped the version to GB.XXKPF.WT-0.4.0
    [02/11/2012] Upped the version to GB.XXKPF.WT-0.3.0
    [02/05/2012] Revised the link to rj 13 kernel and added a mod for Chinese locales
    [02/01/2012] Added the mods for formatting partitions to ext4 or rfs
    [01/31/2012] Revised the link to rj kernel
    [01/29/2012] Upped the version to GB.XXKPF.WT-0.2.0
    [01/28/2012] Added a Nexus ICS boot animation mod
    [01/26/2012] Upped the version to GB.XXKPF.WT-0.1.1
    [01/26/2012] GPS is not working because of incorrect file permissions. Working on a fix now. Should have a fix in a day or so. (Fixed in 0.1.1)

Latest Version
    GB.XXKPF.WT-0.4.0(International or US)

Features:
    • (new) Enabled ad hoc network (thanks to bruceleedragon1's wpa_supplicant)
    • (new) Disabled scroll cache
    • (new) Moved many system apps to /data (you can now delete them easily)
    • (new) Added Go Launcher and Titanium Backup (you can delete them, if you don't like them)
    • (new) Kernel is not included anymore (experienced user may try this rom on US device and see if it works)
    • (new) Enabled overscroll glow (thanks to dhiru1602's guide). The color is set to white. If you don't like the color, you can cook another color into the framework using UOT kitchen.
    • Added Chinese locales: HK, CN & TW
    • Added lidroid's power button, see the original thread here. The widget buttons can be setup using the included "QuickPanel Setting" app.
    • Tweaked gps.conf
    • Small tweak to Dalvik options in build.prop
    • Advanced power menu is included by default (no uninstall though)
    • Added an option for enabling the classic Android lock screen. You can enable that by creating the empty file "/data/local/setting-enable.tap.lock". Deleting the file will revert to the default glass lock. No reboot is needed.
    • Changed to use Nexus ICS boot screen
    • Changed default wallpaper
    • Updated Google Maps & Superuser app
    • CRT-off animation. You need to turn on animation in Settings->Display->Animation in order to get this.
    • Added new icons from UOT kitchen

Additional Mods & Tools
    • Format-ext4 (i.e. lagfix) This will format /system, /data, /datadata (dbdata) and /cache to ext4. You can use this to wipe your device before installing the base ROM.
    • Format-rfs This will format /system, /data, /datadata (dbdata) and /cache to rfs. You can use this to wipe your device before installing the base ROM.
    • Boot Animation - Nexus ICS Required r11 or above kernel! (This is repackaged from what I found in JaeKar99's thread, this package should work with ROMs using CWM in rj's kernel. You can create your own by replacing the bootanimation.zip in the package.)

Older Versions
    Base ROMs:
    GB.XXKPF.WT-0.3.0 (International only)
    GB.XXKPF.WT-0.2.0 (International only)
    GB.XXKPF.WT-0.1.1 (International only)
    GB.XXKPF.WT-0.1.0 (International only)
    Mods for WT-0.2.x:
    Chinese Locales
    Mods for WT-0.1.x:
    Advanced Power Menu Installer (added Reboot, Recovery & Download)
    Advanced Power Menu Uninstaller

Version History:
    Code:
    Change Log:
    V0.4.0
    - Replaced wpa_supplicant (for ad hoc network)
    - Disabled scroll cache
    - Updated apps
    - Moved many apps to /data
    - Added Go Launcher
    - Added Titanium Backup (free ver.)
    - Kerneless
    - Overscroll glow enabled
    v0.3.0
    - Updated to r13 kernel
    - Added lidroid's power buttons
    - Added Chinese locales: HK, CN, TW
    V0.2.0
    - Tweaked /etc/gps.conf
    - Added Dalvik options to build.prop
    - Advanced power menu
    - Added the option for enabling tap lock
    - Updated to r11 kernel
    - Added Nexus boot animation
    - Updated Google Maps
    - Updated Superuser app
    - Added CRT-off animation
    - Added new icons from UOT kitchen

V0.1.1
    - Fixed gps related permission bug

GB.XXKPF.WT-0.1.0
    - Base on stock ROM YPG70XXKPF
    - Rooted
    - rj8 kernel by rumirand
    - Deodexed 
    - Zip aligned
    - Google applications updated (including new Market)
    - Compatible with both ext4 (lagfix) and rfs. It will not change your existing partition type

Prerequisites
    • You have a Galaxy Player 5.0 International or US (YP-G70).
    • For US device, you need to have Entropy's kernel. You can get the kernel in this thread.
    • For international device, you need to have rumirand's kernel. You can get the kernel in this thread.
    • Your internal SD card has more than 200M bytes free.

Installation Instructions
    1. Copy the zip package you downloaded from the link above to your internal sd card.
    2. Turn off your device.
    3. Boot your device into recovery mode by pressing Vol Up+Home+Power. You can release your buttons once you see the Samsung logo.
    4. In main menu, use "wipe data/factory reset" clean up your data directory.
    5. In advanced menu and do a "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    6. In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard".
    7. Then select "choose zip from internal sdcard".
    8. Pick the zip file you put on the internal sdcard.
    9. Select "Yes" to start the flashing.
    10. Fingers crossed & pray.
    11. DO NOT WIPE data after the installation! Otherwise you will wipe out apps installed in the data partition!
    12. If it is a success, go back to main menu and select "reboot system now".

Installation Instructions for Mods
    1. Install the base ROM first using the instructions as shown above.
    2. Install the additional mod using "install zip from sdcard" in CWM.
    3. No need to do data wipe after the installation.
    4. If you want to revert to the base ROM, flash the uninstaller (if available).

Upcoming Features
    • Tweaking build.prop
    • Tweaking gps.conf
    • Choices of launchers. e.g. TW4.0, TW4.5
    • Choices of lockscreens. Actually I have restored the original Android lockscreen already, I need to see how to package it with other features as they are all inside the framework. Another very interesting lockscreen is the face unlock in a leaked Galaxy rom but it may be difficult to port.

Acknowledgement
    • rumirand - For his big contribution in rj's kernel, make sure you visit his kernel thread for latest kernel goodies!
    • Entropy512 - For his big contribution in CWM and kernel deveplopment and helpful comments in the forum. If you have a Galaxy Player 5.0 US, you may find something useful in his kernel thread.
    • dsixda - For his marvelous ROM Kitchen. If you are a newbie like me, make sure you check out his ROM Kitchen thread.
    • Daneshm90 - For his wonderful Auto_Deodexer script. Particularly useful if you want to understand the command behind the scene. See his thread here.
    • untermensch - For his guide on advanced power menu.
    • And countless people who posted on XDA.
    Thanks for the ROM! Can you add TouchWiz 4.5 with the original battery and wifi icons on the next update?

TouchWiz 4.5 shouldn't be difficult. For the icons, I need to think about that though because I don't really like the original icons that much and they are usually the 1st thing that I get rid of when I install a stock rom ;).
    if you hadn't done so already, adding the line below to one of 'em *prop files (from here) greatly helped on my rom adventures w/ HTC legend. perhaps it could help on this rom too since it's deodexed?
    Code:
    dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode = false
    dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v
    do you interest to add touchwiz 4 to our device ?

take a look at this link
    http://www.tutebox.com/3776/mobile/install-touchwiz-4-0-on-any-samsung-phone/

I haven't try yet. maybe you interest it :D

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

oops I just see in Meticulus's post
    & he add TouchWiz 4.5 in his rom

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1458325

so maybe it's can use as well
    thanks! kinda disappointed to see this is based on 2.3.5. used to have 2.3.6 before flashing :(

I am planning to re-base the ROM to XXKPH (2.3.6) but it will take some time as I need to redo all the MODs again...