Media server app eating battery

Search This thread

michaelopolis

Jul 9, 2012
Battery life is good on my phone but I've noticed that something called "media server" app is eating much more battery than the screen.
Is this normal ?

tkelly0727

Dec 22, 2011
I had the same problem. you can restart your phone to see if it stops the drain. also check for corrupted media files. for me it was snapchat that was causing the problem. every time would open it up. media server would start again. hopefully that was the only cause for me.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

michaelopolis

Jul 9, 2012
I had the same problem. you can restart your phone to see if it stops the drain. also check for corrupted media files. for me it was snapchat that was causing the problem. every time would open it up. media server would start again. hopefully that was the only cause for me.

Thanks, how did you fix your problem with snapchat?

akeres1

Dec 15, 2013
Snapchat MediaServer Issue

I am having the same problem, snapchat causes media server to consume battery, any fix available? (other than uninstallin

The problem in detail
Once a snapchat is received media server starts to "keep awake". This is stopped by deleting the snapchat cache and restarting the phone (until a new snap is recieved ). The snap chat cache folder is in the android directory and therefore subject to a .nomedia file, furthermore even adding a nomedia file to the cache folder does not correct the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

michaelopolis

Jul 9, 2012
I don't have snapchat installed but I've tried uninstalling viber and doggcatcher ,,, Will give the phone a few hours use to try and rule out these apps . Is it possible it could be Google search app?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

makamarus

Oct 11, 2012
I have the same problem..i didn't install any other new app on my moto g. No battery drain but i can't explain why is happening to consume more than the display does. It started from yesterday morning, i restart the phone but nothing changed. Sorry for my english

Inviato dal mio XT1032 con Tapatalk 2

michaelopolis

Jul 9, 2012
Can you try to uninstall the latest updates to "Google search" , there's a new function there that's constantly listening for speech command.
It's either that or viber in my case.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Psychoferno

Mar 25, 2013
Porto Alegre
I just lost patience and did a reset on my Moto G. Now I will install the applications gradually and take care of the problem if the media server does not return.

thekrstn

Dec 17, 2013
qcamera2factory might be the culprit

Hi guys,

as mentioned in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545970

a program called qcamera2factory might be causing this. It shows up as media server in the battery settings (maybe because it calls the media server all the time). This would also explain why snapchat is causing the battery drain, as it is a camera app.

Using Better Battery Stats, it shows that qcamera2factory is clearly keeping my phone from going to deep sleep.

Ideas, anyone?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ToySJ0v.png

Last edited:
Reactions: vijay87

thekrstn

Dec 17, 2013
I just tried uninstalling different camera/video apps, and Skype was the one causing it. Fixed after a reboot, phone is going to deep sleep again!

shaftenberg

Jul 31, 2010
Cologne
I had the same problem from time to time. I freezed Moto Cam and Gallery, used Snap Camera instead, until now no more wakelocks. But I don't know if this is really the cause, will see.

cuddagh

Dec 21, 2010
Have this problem also. So annoying and frustrating. How are ordinary users supposed to deal with this is? Or even diagnosis it as it seems to be caused by any app vaguely related to the camera. Come on Motorola! How do we report this to them?

akeres1

Dec 15, 2013
Inform Motorola

I have told motorola via their live chat about the problem and I was told the customer service representative will be informing the engineers. But to speed up the process it would help if more people reported the problem to Motorola.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I uninstalled it

I have the same problem. I have just cleaned the data of Media Storage app, hope it works.
    qcamera2factory might be the culprit

Hi guys,

as mentioned in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2545970

a program called qcamera2factory might be causing this. It shows up as media server in the battery settings (maybe because it calls the media server all the time). This would also explain why snapchat is causing the battery drain, as it is a camera app.

Using Better Battery Stats, it shows that qcamera2factory is clearly keeping my phone from going to deep sleep.

Ideas, anyone?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ToySJ0v.png
    this issue is not directly related to Skype, but to any app using the camera

As mentioned here, I removed my latest version Skype and installed the older version. Now the media server has stopped eating my battery.

I observed a strange thing. Even when I keep my WiFi turned off, when I check the battery usage history details, it shows as if I had my WiFi turned ON all the time. Is anyone else facing this issue? or am I doing something wrong?