How to clone Microsd card ?

Search This thread

ranasrule

Feb 25, 2007
Lahore
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I just got a new 16gb Microsd card and want to shift everything from my old 8gb one....thing is i used the old one for AP2SD and Davlick to SD.....is there any way to "clone" the card so that i dont lose any apps and settings ?

crendot

Aug 2, 2010
put the old card out of the phone

insert it into a cardreader

start a linux of your choice(maybe Gparted-livecd) and mount your hdd and the sd-fat32 and sd-ext

now copy everything from the 2partitions on you harddisk

unmount the sd

put the new one in

if you use already use gparted its easy, make at the first part (left side) the fat 32 partition

than partition the rest as ext (would suggest ext-3 best suported) ~1gb

after this move the fat part on the fat partition and the ext on the ext partition

you should be done

good luck ;)

hairykewell

May 19, 2011
Sydney
Sounds easy!

Just had a question relating to this, would buying a class 6 SD card make much difference to the speed of the phone for a CM7 rom compared to a class 4 card?

InnerShark

May 25, 2011

start a linux of your choice(maybe Gparted-livecd) and mount your hdd and the sd-fat32 and sd-ext

unmount the sd

put the new one in

if you use already use gparted its easy, make at the first part (left side) the fat 32 partition

after this move the fat part on the fat partition and the ext on the ext partition

you should be done

good luck ;)

I just got a new 16gb Microsd card and want to shift everything from my old 8gb one....thing is i used the old one for AP2SD and Davlick to SD.....is there any way to "clone" the card so that i dont lose any apps and settings ?

Well, it sounds easy, but I'm afraid it is not. (it seemed to me like my ROM held some kind of partition table with it, in which was defined how big the partitions were and which filetype they were in).
So after partitioning my new SD-card, different size and lay-out, my Phone did not want to mount the SD-card...
I tried this before and it didn't work.

I ended up doing a disc to disc copy (image cloning) from my 8gb to 16gb sd and only then it worked.
I used Acronis true image to get the job done.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Burn this iso on disc, insert both SD-cards in pc and boot from the hirens boot disc. Then select imaging tools in the menu, select acronis
In acronis you select disk to disk copy or disk cloning and then select source (old SD), then proportional cloning, then select destination (new SD).

Should take about an hour.
If you need help, shout plz.

I will try to make a tutorial when I get home from work, or maybe later.

Grtz!

Shark

Last edited:

InnerShark

May 25, 2011
Sounds easy!

Just had a question relating to this, would buying a class 6 SD card make much difference to the speed of the phone for a CM7 rom compared to a class 4 card?

Hi,

Well not that much.
The class stands for max Mbps write or read spead, can't recall which of them two... so it makes a difference, but not that much.
From 4 to 10 makes much more difference :D

Grtz!

hairykewell

May 19, 2011
Sydney
Well, it sounds easy, but I'm afraid it is not. (it seemed to me like my ROM held some kind of partition table with it, in which was defined how big the partitions were and which filetype they were in).
So after partitioning my new SD-card, different size and lay-out, my Phone did not want to mount the SD-card...

I ended up doing a disc to disc copy (image cloning) from my 8gb to 16gb sd and only then it worked.

Burn this iso on disc, insert both SD-cards in pc and boot from the hirens boot disc. Then select imaging tools in the menu, select acronis
In acronis you select disk to disk copy or disk cloning and then select source (old SD), then proportional cloning, then select destination (new SD).

Grtz!

Shark

Thanks for that, I'll try it when I buy a new card

x6121

Nov 18, 2010

unmount the sd

put the new one in

you should be done

good luck ;)

Thanks~IT's useful to me~

pyroguy7

Jan 4, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for this one! I have a class 2 microsd in my t-mobile g2/htc desire z, and I just bought a class 10. Can't wait to give this a go :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

unmount the sd

put the new one in

you should be done

good luck ;)

Grtz!

Shark

unmount the sd

put the new one in

you should be done

good luck ;)