[Q] HD2 Phantom touches crisis

Search This thread

Phantoml337

Feb 7, 2010
Hi, I've been suffering from randomly occurring phantom touches, seemingly without a trigger. Sometimes, immediately after I turn my screen on, digitizer starts going nuts and registers hundreds of touches everywhere, often to the point of crashing the system. I have tried to ensure better grounding by applying graphite to the battery cover contacts, but the issue got fixed only temporarily. Wiping the whole screen, bottom to top, with my skin stops the issue. I'm currently running a 4.1.2 Pacman 1.2a Android on an European HD2. Thanks for any kind of help or advice.

chrigel27

Nov 25, 2010
Hi, I've been suffering from randomly occurring phantom touches, seemingly without a trigger. Sometimes, immediately after I turn my screen on, digitizer starts going nuts and registers hundreds of touches everywhere, often to the point of crashing the system. I have tried to ensure better grounding by applying graphite to the battery cover contacts, but the issue got fixed only temporarily. Wiping the whole screen, bottom to top, with my skin stops the issue. I'm currently running a 4.1.2 Pacman 1.2a Android on an European HD2. Thanks for any kind of help or advice.
I have seen this issue on a phone with a very dirty screen but I think this is not your problem. Did you ever try another ROM/OS? Maybe it's a driver problem.

bib*oops

Oct 15, 2009
If you have some sort of protective case, try to remove it and see what happens.
Otherwise, i suspect a defective touchscreen/digitizer.

robertical

Feb 6, 2012

I had the same problem in may Galaxy S i9000. I went back to stock rom and that fixed the problem. Most likely it is due to a problem in the driver.

shanman-2

Nov 18, 2011
Cork
I have read that the power button can possibly cause such issues. The digitizer cable runs very close to it and can get damaged after prolonged use.
Try quickly flicking the power button the next time it happens!

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium

Phantoml337

Feb 7, 2010
Well, I've installed several systems and it still persists. At least now I know it's hardware related.

Unscrewed

Aug 6, 2012
Well, I've installed several systems and it still persists. At least now I know it's hardware related.

Is your screen or finger wet? Try cleaning your screen by rubbing it dry on your clothes and rub you fingers dry on your clothes too (the friction will make your fingers dry).

My HD2 freaks out and registers touches everywhere even if there is a little drip of sweat on it. ;p

Phantoml337

Feb 7, 2010
About a week ago I've found out that the issue completely disappears after I remove the battery cover. I've tried replicating the results in long-term scale with 100% success! It's definitely a touchscreen grounding issue.

Last edited:

Phantoml337

Feb 7, 2010
I have completely (so far at least..) fixed the issue by putting a square piece of duct-tape over the right (with the phone flipped over) grounding pin next to the battery. :victory:

Last edited: