[Q] How to do a stock MJ5 upgrade to NC2 ?

Search This thread

AtlzBest26

Oct 6, 2007
Guys

I have a SM-900A on MJ5, not rooted, on ultra mobile (t-mobile)

1. software update says there is no update available.

2. i tried 240258.zip (or something - renamed to update.zip) in sd card...Install from external storage...gives me some error about keys not matching, wipes /data and reboots

The guide to go up to 4.4.2 over here uses a UrDroid rooted 4.4.2 after safestrap. But that was back in Apr 2014 when towelroot was not available.
Where can i just download the correct update.zip and do a stock upgrade to 4.4.2? i do want to root after it but i am assuming towelroot should work without a hiccup. Am i missing something here?

Thanks

monkor

Mar 22, 2012
DC
I JUST did this same dance. Don't follow any other instructions except for the "Ready to update to KK from JB" guide laid out here. You'll be incredibly pleased ha. So easy and hiccup free. Use Geohot's root toolbar to get you started! Good luck! PM me if you have problems

EDIT: Guide is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2710972

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

AtlzBest26

Oct 6, 2007
I JUST did this same dance. Don't follow any other instructions except for the "Ready to update to KK from JB" guide laid out here. You'll be incredibly pleased ha. So easy and hiccup free. Use Geohot's root toolbar to get you started! Good luck! PM me if you have problems

EDIT: Guide is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2710972

Thanks monkor..will gave that a shot

edit: monkor..that was I asking about when I said do you really need to safestrap? Can't I just Odin that urdroid rom or the stock update? (Where is the stock update of 4.4.2?)

Last edited:

monkor

Mar 22, 2012
DC
From what I've read, everyone who deviates from that guide has problems. You might Hey lucky and not, but I'd just go roti the easy method. Took me all of five minutes

AtlzBest26

Oct 6, 2007
From what I've read, everyone who deviates from that guide has problems. You might Hey lucky and not, but I'd just go roti the easy method. Took me all of five minutes

ok here's where i am at

1. rooted on mj5 using kingo
2. safestrap 3.71 done
3. when i try to do a wipe data in ss, i am getting a error on /data and /data media (something about encryption, i hadn't touched any settings in mj5..i was pure stock)...any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

AtlzBest26

Oct 6, 2007
ok here's where i am at

1. rooted on mj5 using kingo
2. safestrap 3.71 done
3. when i try to do a wipe data in ss, i am getting a error on /data and /data media (something about encryption, i hadn't touched any settings in mj5..i was pure stock)...any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

i just went to bestbuy and got 4.4.2. Btw all they did was Odin the stock 4.4.2 in and im sure he only did that.