Has Anyone Jumped from Sprint to Verizon for the SGIII?

Search This thread

Yardie_Style

Jun 20, 2009
The bOOgie Down
Sprint to Verizon 4G LTE

I had Spint from as far back as the flip phone era to nextel i930 to ending @ the Evo Shift 4g.
Just couldn't deal with the drop calls & some data issues after a while & paying da $10 for 4g, &
not fully having it... Researched a bit @ first & went to Best Buy & made the switch... Funny story is
while I was there another Sprint customer was there & was like why switch your gonna loose all that
free Data by goin to Verizon. I told him I can handle 1gb a month... He replied he can't because in his line
of work he use 20,000gb a month (smh), on Sprint for 4 phones, 2 tablets, hotspots & hi-speed internet. He does
import/export on leather goods. So he has to be one step up on da compitition at all times. And if he was on
Verizon plan it would be $$$$$$$$

dohturdima

Jan 6, 2011
Going from SERO Epic 4G (og) to VZW unlimited (taking over wifey's phone, she hardly uses data she has). Looking forward!

Cool Cake

Mar 9, 2011
Left Sprint...yay!

I totally left sprint and didn't even cry.
Maybe with the buy out they can get their act together. i wish them luck but I'm not going to be the guinea pig anymore.
Verizon is so much more stable, reliable and speedy.
And the Galaxy S3...well, what can I say. Just amazing and loving the develpment community here too.

SFG

Dec 23, 2010
Made the leap yesterday. I was running the Epic Touch on the worst network known to man. Yesterday's bestbuy sale was too tempting to pass up. I'm loving vzw right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

jlee08517

Aug 30, 2012
I have always had THE best service with verizon compared to any of my friends phones with a different carrier.

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I jumped ship Sunday also. I'd been planning to switch to Verizon anyway, but the sale made it happen even sooner.

I loved my EVO 4G LTE, but man was the network horrible. This phone is also amazing though, and the network is incredible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

SFG

Dec 23, 2010
I jumped ship Sunday also. I'd been planning to switch to Verizon anyway, but the sale made it happen even sooner.

I loved my EVO 4G LTE, but man was the network horrible. This phone is also amazing though, and the network is incredible.

I have no complaints yet. A little worried about not having unlimited data. I opted for the 1GB plan. Will watch and see where I end up at. The penalty for overage is only an additional $5 over plan rate.

Green Ranger

Oct 4, 2012
Came from Sprint and couldnt be happier. I have 4G LTE everywhere I go to the tune of 12mb to upwards of 30mb down.

Sprint is lucky to hit 1.5mb down at 5am, and normally runs at 200-600k down during the day. Sometimes 70k!

I went from Sprint to ATT and now finally to Verizon.

Coverage absolutely sucked balls for both Spring and ATT. Could'nt be happoier with Verizon and I'm not looking back.

Biker1

Oct 28, 2008
I ported over from sprint to Verizon a couple of weeks ago, from the S3 to the S3.
I was a sprint customer for almost 14 years, and the issues experienced were tolerated.
But 2 months prior to porting to Verizon, the Majority of my phone call had significant Fading issues, and it sometimes took 3 phone calls to complete what normally takes 1 call. This was very frustrating for Friends Family, Business customers and myself. What also was a concern was what if I needed to make an Emergency phone call and couldn't get through due to the calling issues I was experiencing? And in NYC, Emergency Situations pop up quite Frequently regarding Crime and other fun unexpected occurrences,

Multiple calls to Sprint, multiple trips to the Sprint store, Many Hours wasted , and three S3s later, the issues still existed.
The sprint customer service run around was at its worst, and the lack of support from account services was abysmal.
I finally ported to Verizon, and so far the Service has been excellent. Imagine not being able to complete an issue less phone call for 2 months?
It is a relief to do so now.
I never thought I'd port to Verizon because of pricing. But after checking their pricing while undergoing the Unresolveable issues at sprint, I found Verizon pricing was not as bad as it used to be. I hadn't looked at their pricing structure for years.
Verizon is costing me approximately $14-16 more per month than sprint did.
I don't get Unlimited data, but many customers with Sprint get slow as molasses 3G right now anyway.
I believe that when and IF LTE becomes available to the Majority of Sprint's Customers, their Unlimited data will go Bye Bye, as most of the other advantages sprint had over the other carriers has done already.
I realized after porting that I had put up with the bs sprint had to offer regarding their non competitive data speeds, and why I ever had to be part of their Network build out while other carriers have already been there, done that, regarding LTE or its equivalent years ago.
I'm glad to be rid of Sprint, and it took Calling issues to finally port. Sprint showed their true colors in the deplorable way it treated a long term customer when said customer was not receiving services paid for regarding the Non Ability to make calls.

Think seriously about porting from sprint as I'm sure you work hard for your money, as I do, and expect to receive Services paid for.
I suggest not to hold your breath for Sprint's LTE build out, as their track record speaks for itself, and besides, why put up with non competitive data speeds when other Carriers have pretty fast speeds already, and have for a while.
Another plus is that with Verizon I Only pay $6.99/mo. for TEC (Total Equipment Coverage, Asurion)
with a $99 deductible for a lost, stolen or water damaged S3, compared to $11/mo. and a $200 deductible with Sprint.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Right. It's $10 per GB on plan.

It's $15 per GB overage.
On plan, it's $10 for every 2 additional GeeBee's :)
I'm on the Everything plan with 2GB's for $100.

Last edited:

53fireman

Oct 19, 2010
Pottstown, PA
I pulled the trigger today and made the switch (with a temp # and my sprint SERO plan still in tact, just in case...). The only thing I don't like so far is the Voicemail and how it dials in compared to Sprint that downloads them for you to listen to right on the phone. I'm assuming that's what Visual Voicemail is that they charge you for, but is there any other way to do that besides Google voice?

cell128

Oct 4, 2008
Lomita,CA
I pulled the trigger today and made the switch (with a temp # and my sprint SERO plan still in tact, just in case...). The only thing I don't like so far is the Voicemail and how it dials in compared to Sprint that downloads them for you to listen to right on the phone. I'm assuming that's what Visual Voicemail is that they charge you for, but is there any other way to do that besides Google voice?

I don't know why they give the visual voicemail free to iPhone owners but they charge for any other phone it makes me angry

Biker1

Oct 28, 2008
In have used Youmail for almost a year, and it works really nicely.
I have the paid version.

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
I my self made the jump last November. The good thing is that I found someone with the unlimited data, and took over the contract with an upgrade eligible. I guess I was lucky! But, now I don't know what I'm going to do when the two years are up. I don't know whether to pay full price for a phone or let go of my unlimited data;witch will sick, just because I use over 12gb a month.

diljosh

Jun 19, 2010
I jumped from Sprint to Verizon, a little expensive, but the joy of having reliable service is a worth it. The voice and data just work everywhere, and I travel a lot.

Biker1

Oct 28, 2008
@ evolishesh

If you see a device you like at the end of your contract, wait a month, as the Full price of the device will drop, and purchase it new on ebay or similar. This way you'll keep your unlimited data, and avoid paying $10/2GB which would be approximately $60/mo + taxes & surcharges.
The new device will cost approx $450-500 off contract, compared to $200 with a contract, which would save you only about 250-300 but you'd lose your unlimited data.
The above is assuming:
- you don't have to purchase the new device without contract from Verizon directly and can purchase another device somewhere else and just activate it on Verizon.
- data pricing remains the same @ $10/2GB
(I forgot what the pricing is for over 10GB per month)
- there are no changes in the Plan structure available from Verizon.

Last edited:
Reactions: evolishesh

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
@ evolishesh

If you see a device you like at the end of your contract, wait a month, as the Full price of the device will drop, and purchase it new on ebay or similar. This way you'll keep your unlimited data, and avoid paying $10/2GB which would be approximately $60/mo + taxes & surcharges.
The new device will cost approx $450-500 off contract, compared to $200 with a contract, which would save you only about 250-300 but you'd lose your unlimited data.
The above is assuming:
- you don't have to purchase the new device without contract from Verizon directly and can purchase another device somewhere else and just activate it on Verizon.
- data pricing remains the same @ $10/2GB
(I forgot what the pricing is for over 10GB per month)
- there are no changes in the Plan structure available from Verizon.

Thanks. That makes sense, just paying over $600 for a phone is crazy and sickly

Biker1

Oct 28, 2008
Thanks. That makes sense, just paying over $600 for a phone is crazy and sickly

This is what I did previously, when I was with Sprint:
- the S2 (SE4GT) was available. But I didn't want to renew my contract. I purchased the device New on ebay for $420, and compared to $220 from sprint with a 2 year renewal. I used the S2 for 9 months, until the S3 was available on sprint.
I was going to purchase the S3 32GB on ebay, without contract but the S3 was going for approx. $650, compared to $275 from sprint with a contract renewal.
I didn't want to spend almost an additional $400 for the S3, so I renewed my sprint contract, after being out of contract for almost a year, figuring that things were ok with Sprint, and I would stay with them.
WRONG!
Service went South, and after 2 months, I ended up Selling my in Like New condition S3 on ebay for $385.
The S3 New on ebay could be had for about $450.
I should have waited, and then I would have purchased the S3 without contract, as I did with the S2.

I then purchased my S3 i535 32GB from BBM for $199.
Goes to show you that waiting just a month or so, can save you about $200 if you purchase the device off contract.
In my case, purchasing off contract was so not to sign a renewal, which would have the $350 ETF if I chose to port.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    12 year Sprint customer. I live in Des Moines, Iowa. There isn't Sprint 4G for 3 hours' drive in any direction. The 3G service where I live (the most hustlingest bustlingest area in this throbbling metropolis ;-P ) is --****ing-- embarassing. You may as well plan on not having data here unless you can find an open wifi network.

I was pissed when I read a press release talking about Sprint rolling out LTE to 100 cities! Since my city wasn't listed I knew it would be a good couple more months before I could even begin to hope again.

Then the family and I drove down to Disney World. Thank the teeny tiny baby jeesus laying in a manger I was gonna GUZZLE from the 4G hose! With shaking hands I enabled 4G on my sbrissen JB ROM. So I drive and I wait. I drive some more and I wait some more. Then I do it again. And again. And again.

Around about Saint Louis I got a nibble. Like the face of a newborn baby, I see the 4G icon in the notification bar for the first time. "Hello" I say. It disappears, but comes back in a couple of seconds. Then goes away again. I fire up SpeedTest and wait for that sucker to rear its head again. It never did.

Around about Atlanta I see that wascally wabbit again! Don't know where he'd been hiding, but here he sure enough was. So I whip out BeyondPod and tell it to update my subscriptions. After the icon goes away and comes back a couple times I sadly have to tell BeyondPod to Stop Update and Download because, well, it just ain't gonna happen.

That **** broke my heart, yo. I get back to town and tell the guy at work that gets us our cell phones that I have to switch carriers. I tell him I don't need much, the 16GB version of the S3 will do me fine.

So a week later or so I get the phone. As luck would have it, I had my first golf round of the year scheduled for that very afternoon (Yes, in late August--I don't get out much) so I couldn't root and install the ROM I had downloaded while waiting for the phone. I'm in Polk City, Iowa, standing in the middle of a golf course without a building in sight, much less a cell tower, looking at 3 freaking bars of 4G signal!

It's everywhere I go. I'm starting to get paranoid that maybe the CNA ROM is mis-reporting its connectivity, but DAYUM, this data is fast, yo!

I love you, S3. I love you, Verizon LTE. **** you, Sprint!!!!!!1!
    20-50

Are you torrenting over your phone or something? No wonder Verizon got rid of unlimited.
    I converted from Sprint the week xda gave me the heads up VZW was doing away with their unlimited plan.

was with sprint for 8yrs. all this time i was ignoring att and verizon because of the price and data cap.
    also thought att or verizon data speed is just a lil better than sprint.
    aww man was i so wrong. its hellava alot better
    I have a question.. how many gb do you guys use a month?

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda app-developers app

20-50

A little excessive. Do not base data usage on this guy. lol