Search This thread

jdpdata

Dec 22, 2011
Los Angeles
Here's another OtterBox saved my phone testimony.

I was taking a walk today with my phone in Defender Case in my Holster.
I guess I didn't properly snapped it into the holster. My arm hit the phone, and flew down to the concrete hard.
Bounce three or four times. I quickly pickup my phone thinking major damage.
To my amazement, not a single scratch on the phone.
The case took most of the shock. Wiped off some dirt and I'm back in business.
Thanks Otter!!!

Reactions: otterboxfan4l

stedj

Nov 14, 2011
Birmingham
Ok so apparently they are sending me the plastic part to replace the one with the broken clips.......:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9305

stedj

Nov 14, 2011
Birmingham
Well I didn't get to pick a different colour I am getting the black lid and base so I guess in a few months I'll be claiming for another when the rubber gets saggy?

Sent from my GT-I9305

Excessiveidling

Jul 14, 2010
I'm curious as to how many times you can get a replacement? I'm currently on my third replacement due to the corners of the rubber coming off. Even tried changing colors in case maybe a certain color was causing issues to no avail. I have to admit their customer support kicks major booty but their product sucks. What's the next step or level down in protecting and such from the otterbox defender that isn't made by otterbox?

Sent from a phone better than yours!

mikey258

Feb 23, 2013
San Francisco
shrinking otterbox cover

i had this issue too...my bottom edge wouldn't stay on at all the usb area was bubbled up like your's but worse and all the corners were coming loose like yours. The only thing i didn't have is i still have the usb port cover i've had mine since about 2wks after the s3 came out.

I ran across a video on youtube about a kid with an otterbox iphone case and he put the case into a pan of boiling water for 5min (minimum) then pulled it and let it cool and it had returned to its natural size.

I was skeptical,but figured it couldn't hurt to try it. I took it one step further. After i boiled the outer rubber case, i took it and put it directly into the freezer and left it in there for about 20min (till good and hard/froze). Took it back out, ran it under warm tap water till it was flexible again and put it back on. It's as tight now as it was the day i got it.

I don't think the boiling/(and or freezing) thing actually shrinks the rubber, i more think it realigns all the molecules and lets them return to their natural (unstretched) state. (that coming from what little i remember of college physics and chemistry)

either way can't hurt to try and at the least you get a very clean cover to put back on. :cool:

I guess i can't post links yet (too noobish...whatever) search youtube for "shrink otterbox silicone case" it should be the first result.

I appoligize in advance for the guys lack of taste in music and his commentary sounding like he is 12. :cool:

Boiling the otterbox silicone case does actually work. But leaving it for too long shrinks the entire rubber. Boil the rubber 1-2 minutes (not 5 minutes) and remove. Then wash under cold water. Dry the rubber and place back on the phone. Should be a perfect fit again.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how many times you can get a replacement? I'm currently on my third replacement due to the corners of the rubber coming off. Even tried changing colors in case maybe a certain color was causing issues to no avail. I have to admit their customer support kicks major booty but their product sucks. What's the next step or level down in protecting and such from the otterbox defender that isn't made by otterbox?

Sent from a phone better than yours!

Agreed. My holster was loose and felt flimsy. They sent 2! replacements. But the case itself is not very good. The screen protector was garbage - took that off after a day. The silicone corners are stretching, it's very hard to get into the holster correctly. Miss my Sedio...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did the same thing, best case I've used so far. If only the commuter's buttons weren't so stiff that would be my choice.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The commuter was such a disappointment :(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
    after less than two month of usage

usb cover torn off

rubberized casing is not conform to polycarbonate casing anymore:eek:

I had this issue too...my bottom edge wouldn't stay on at all the USB area was bubbled up like your's but worse and all the corners were coming loose like yours. The only thing I didn't have is I still have the USB port cover I've had mine since about 2wks after the S3 came out.

I ran across a video on youtube about a kid with an otterbox iphone case and he put the case into a pan of boiling water for 5min (minimum) then pulled it and let it cool and it had returned to its natural size.

i was skeptical,but figured it couldn't hurt to try it. I took it one step further. after i boiled the outer rubber case, i took it and put it directly into the freezer and left it in there for about 20min (till good and hard/froze). Took it back out, ran it under warm tap water till it was flexible again and put it back on. it's as tight now as it was the day I got it.

I don't think the boiling/(and or freezing) thing actually shrinks the rubber, I more think it realigns all the molecules and lets them return to their natural (unstretched) state. (that coming from what little I remember of college physics and Chemistry)

Either way can't hurt to try and at the least you get a very clean cover to put back on. :cool:

I guess I can't post links yet (too noobish...WHATEVER) search youtube for "Shrink Otterbox Silicone Case" it should be the first result.

I appoligize in advance for the guys lack of taste in music and his commentary sounding like he is 12. :cool:
    Awesome case, bad screen protector. Took mine off because it degraded screen quality. Besides the glass they use on an S3 is called gorilla glass 2 and if you Google it, it will show you how tough it really is and that a screen protector really isn't necessary.

Have noticed that the corners are starting to come away on case...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Just email customer service. They will ask for some basic information and pics. That's it.

I requested replacement for my case coming loose at corners. Some how they only sent me two outer holsters.

Just email them again to ask what's up rest of my order and a rep immediately responded. She's apologize and sending me out a new case and more holsters.

What the heck do i do now with 5 holsters? Lol ^_^

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

For the last replacement that I got for my GS3 I received a box with an empty plastic bag and an invoice paper...no case... But a call to costumer service solved the problem, they sent me another replacement overnight.

Sent from my SCH-I535

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Kool. Ill look into that soon. What if i purchased it from ebay, but its still Original otterbox? wont decline the warranty?
    They don't asked for a receipt you will be fine, I have never purchased directly from otterbox, its always been third party sellers and never had an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535
    im very tempted to do this. Did you have to remove any glue that was holding the clear plastic in? Or does it just pop off and thats it? I absolutely hate how terrible the screen looks with this screen protector.

You have to remove the glue, it almost peels off in one piece,

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app