Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Update 9/14/2013

A better solution has been released, please update using it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45598648

Warning: Don't attempt to use this on a device that isn't Motorola.

Lets break this sub forum open with a good one.

See: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/12/exclusive-how-to-root-moto-x-ultra-mini-and-maxx/ for the story

Bounty payouts or donations can be paypaled to jcase@cunninglogic.com, or use the donate button to the left. If its for the bounty, please reply below with confirmation number or pm me.

These files are not to be mirrored elsewhere, no included in other packages. Its simple already, no need to repackage it.

Same APK should work for Maxx, Ultra and Mini. If it does not, I just need to rebuild it and need someone to test, it will work.

adb install -r <filename>

Run MotoRoot app
Press Setup

Install Supersu app

Phone will reboot, and you will be rooted as soon as device is fully booted.

Limitations:
Uninstalling the app will disable root until reinstalled
supersu is not able to update su yet, this will be fixed in an update shortly.
su is maintained in a ext4 img at /data/xbin.img and mounted over /system/xbin at BOOT_COMPLETE.
su is not available for the first few seconds of boot, im working on this.
/system is write protected, even with unlocked bootloaders you can not write to it while booted in Android.

Unroot:
Two choices, factory reset, or press the unroot menu option in the app.

Problems:
Run into a problem? try hittung unroot then re-rooting

Credits:

We use two vulns in this app, first being 9695860 to gain system user, then a symlink attack of mine to get root from system.

xIndirect (nick) for assisting me from start to finish
Whoever originally found bug 9695860
Saurik for his description of 9695860
Ryan Welton for his 9695860 tool
Dave Kover for yet another kick butt icon
and Anthony Fox/Droid-Hive for great help with getting the device to me today

Attachments

• SuperSU-v1.66-xbin.apk
    1.9 MB · Views: 50,194
  • MotoRoot1.1-Droid.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 159,146
Last edited:

TheWhiteChallenger

Mar 7, 2013
/system is write protected, even with unlocked bootloaders you can not write to it while booted in Android.

firist off thank you for all your hard work
i do have a question dose this mean we can not install apps on the system/app folder?

and dose this mean files cant be pushed with adb as a work around?

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
i do have a question dose this mean we can not install apps on the system/app folder?

No messing with system/app yet, just system/xbin. Will be addressing the rest of it soon, I just got my phone today. Been talking with HashCode and DBHacker about getting custom roms going, it is being looked at now.

adb works fine, su just doesnt get remounted until the BOOT_COMPLETE broadcast is sent, it means poorly written apps that does retry a root command with a delay, MIGHT fail to get root at boot. They should retry. I will be addressing this, soon.

Like I said, just got the phone about 7 hours ago.

Last edited:

redpipe

Aug 3, 2012
Lexington Park
got adfree working, but you have to do it QUICKLY. remount /system as rw, then immediately press the update button on the adfree app. the changes will remain until reboot, but I hardly ever reboot :)

busybox mount -o remount,rw /system;

benjamin1492

Dec 24, 2008
Thanks...didn't expect to have root so soon. Confirmation 7PD1555899342392B - pledged over on the Droid Ultra bounty page

darksizzle

Oct 18, 2009
Droid Mini Confirmed! Thank you!

Sent from my XT1030 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379042678560.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379042678560.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,065
Reactions: phaedrus43

TheWhiteChallenger

Mar 7, 2013
No messing with system/app yet, just system/xbin. Will be addressing the rest of it soon, I just got my phone today. Been talking with HashCode and DBHacker about getting custom roms going, it is being looked at now.

adb works fine, su just doesnt get remounted until the BOOT_COMPLETE broadcast is sent, it means poorly written apps that does retry a root command with a delay, MIGHT fail to get root at boot. They should retry. I will be addressing this, soon.

ok kool, i dont mean to sound ungrateful thats just mainly what i use root for is fiddling with stuff of the system folder, so i was just wondering if i was permanently screwed of if was something that is atleast being working on, thanks again ill be sending my donation as soon as i remember my paypal pw, lol

Cincybearcatfan

May 3, 2010
Confirmation number: 4JK07192689429602

Thanks!

So this has to be installed by adb? What if in my haste and excitement, I "accidentally" installed it without ADB? I noticed I can't uninstall it. However, when I do Root Checker, it shows I'm rooted but I can't install SU it says "Installation Failed!"

CrazyRussianXDA

Dec 29, 2010
Every time I start SuperSU the message "The SU binaries needs to be updated. Continue?" comes up, but when "Normal" button is pressed on the next screen (since we dont have custom recoveries) the update fails.

Should we not update SU?

alee

Jan 4, 2007
New York, NY
Every time I start SuperSU the message "The SU binaries needs to be updated. Continue?" comes up, but when "Normal" button is pressed on the next screen (since we dont have custom recoveries) the update fails.

Should we not update SU?
Just don't open SuperSU once it's installed. Reboot one more time and you'll get regular prompts from SuperSU to allow permissions as apps request root.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 9/14/2013

A better solution has been released, please update using it.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45598648

Warning: Don't attempt to use this on a device that isn't Motorola.

Lets break this sub forum open with a good one.

See: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/12/exclusive-how-to-root-moto-x-ultra-mini-and-maxx/ for the story

Bounty payouts or donations can be paypaled to jcase@cunninglogic.com, or use the donate button to the left. If its for the bounty, please reply below with confirmation number or pm me.

These files are not to be mirrored elsewhere, no included in other packages. Its simple already, no need to repackage it.

Same APK should work for Maxx, Ultra and Mini. If it does not, I just need to rebuild it and need someone to test, it will work.

adb install -r <filename>

Run MotoRoot app
    Press Setup

Install Supersu app

Phone will reboot, and you will be rooted as soon as device is fully booted.

Limitations:
    Uninstalling the app will disable root until reinstalled
    supersu is not able to update su yet, this will be fixed in an update shortly.
    su is maintained in a ext4 img at /data/xbin.img and mounted over /system/xbin at BOOT_COMPLETE.

Unroot:
    Two choices, factory reset, or press the unroot menu option in the app.

Problems:
    Run into a problem? try hittung unroot then re-rooting

Credits:

We use two vulns in this app, first being 9695860 to gain system user, then a symlink attack of mine to get root from system.

xIndirect (nick) for assisting me from start to finish
    Whoever originally found bug 9695860
    Saurik for his description of 9695860
    Ryan Welton for his 9695860 tool
    Dave Kover for yet another kick butt icon
    and Anthony Fox/Droid-Hive for great help with getting the device to me today

Should we not update SU?
    Just don't open SuperSU once it's installed. Reboot one more time and you'll get regular prompts from SuperSU to allow permissions as apps request root.
    This root method is no longer recommended nor supported, please see my new one:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2444954

Using Titanium Backup or using Root Uninstaller does not uninstall those awful bloatware apps. I've uninstalled them MULTIPLE times and they just won't die. Ideas?

freeze them instead