Get ready for official Samsung KitKat 4.4.2!!

Search This thread

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
This indeed good news for Note 8.0 owners!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/18/samsung-provides-list-of-which-us-galaxy-smartphones-and-tablets-will-see-kitkat-in-the-coming-months/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/18/samsung-kitkat-us/

Offical Samsung PR release note:

http://www.samsungmobileuspress.com/2014/02/18/Samsung-Confirms-KitKat-for-U.S.-Smartphones-and-Tablets

EDIT 5/12/2014:

Update Official 4.4.2 Firmware Releases:

================================================== ===========
Model: GT-N5100
Model name: GALAXY Note 8.0
Version: Android 4.4.2
Changelist: N/A
Build date: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 +0000
Product Code: XEO
PDA: N5100XXDND8
CSC: N5100OXADND8
MODEM: N5100XXDND8
Download: http://samsung-updates.com/details/27854/Galaxy_Note_8.0_3G/WIFI/GT-N5100/XEO/N5100XXDND8.html

EDIT 5/19/2014:

Model: GT-N5110
Model name: GALAXY Note 8.0 Wi-Fi
Product Code: BTU
PDA: N5110XXDNE1
CSC: N5110OXADNE1
MODEM: N5110XXDNE1
Download: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=29611

Last edited:

salmonpar

Sep 16, 2012
Cannot wait for uk version,not worried about rooting atm, well chuffed.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda premium

ProFresh4

Mar 20, 2013
Tampa/Lutz FL
My guess is we won't see it till about the end of March or so. And if its carrier branded the even later but if its At&t the I doubt the note 8 will see it at all since they block alot of Samsung stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA
My guess is we won't see it till about the end of March or so. And if its carrier branded the even later but if its At&t the I doubt the note 8 will see it at all since they block alot of Samsung stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

carrier branded tablets probably see it much later than wi-fi international version.

hertsjoatmon

Dec 10, 2012
Hertfordshire (Herts)
one of my devices is on 4.4.2, did NOT have any issue with SD limitation or anything....

Thats good news then, I only noticed these reports today and started to worry. I was thinking that I would not be able to use a file manager for example, to copy photos from my internal storage to external as back up etc... Having seen similar articles crop up on multiple sources at the same time lead me to beleive that this was real concern.

Out of interest, what device have you got running 4.4.2? If its the Nexus 7, that doesnt have an SD card slot. Do you use USB storage with it then in order to assertain that this isn't an issue?

intelliriffer

Sep 7, 2012
New Delhi
one of my devices is on 4.4.2, did NOT have any issue with SD limitation or anything....

as far as i am aware this is a real problem, especially for power users.
There are perhaps some ways to circumvent this if you are rooted, but for stock users it'a PITA.
as third party apps do not have the normal write permissions on external sd card, thus they cannot write to any arbitrary folder except their native (Android\data\com.app.name.package...) so a lot of apps (mostly utility) that make use of external sd card (such as backup to custom location etc) will stop functioning.
Again it's just a Matter of time when kit-kat hits Note 8 and then we will know for sure how bad it is in real.
Have heard note 3 users complain about this.

Does your 4.4.2 device have an external micro sd card and is it stock?

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Thats good news then, I only noticed these reports today and started to worry. I was thinking that I would not be able to use a file manager for example, to copy photos from my internal storage to external as back up etc... Having seen similar articles crop up on multiple sources at the same time lead me to beleive that this was real concern.

Out of interest, what device have you got running 4.4.2? If its the Nexus 7, that doesnt have an SD card slot. Do you use USB storage with it then in order to assertain that this isn't an issue?

I have similar worry as you, however, I have heard that ES file explorer works or has workaround.

Reactions: hertsjoatmon

hertsjoatmon

Dec 10, 2012
Hertfordshire (Herts)

There are perhaps some ways to circumvent this if you are rooted, but for stock users it'a PITA.

as third party apps do not have the normal write permissions on external sd card, thus they cannot write to any arbitrary folder except their native (Android\data\com.app.name.package...) so a lot of apps (mostly utility) that make use of external sd card (such as backup to custom location etc) will stop functioning.

Again it's just a Matter of time when kit-kat hits Note 8 and then we will know for sure how bad it is in real.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

I have similar worry as you, however, I have heard that ES file explorer works or has workaround.

I'm a root user so I'm not too bothered. I'll only upgrade if it's shown that there are significant performance and stability improvements in a later version. I just wanted to make sure non root users were aware of this, especially given that the note 8 doesn't have a lot of internal storage space ( for ages only the 16gb version was available). I imagine many people rely on their micro sd cards

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: brecklundin

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
NYC-USA

I am actually talking about my S4 (actually my wife's international version). It is running leaked samsung 4.4.2 kitkat, it has moved to SD option, which works perfectly fine, she already got tons of stuff on her 64GB SD stuff...no issue.

don't take me wrong, I am not saying this won't be issue, just liked to passed this info...

hertsjoatmon

Dec 10, 2012
Hertfordshire (Herts)
I am actually talking about my S4 (actually my wife's international version). It is running leaked samsung 4.4.2 kitkat, it has moved to SD option, which works perfectly fine, she already got tons of stuff on her 64GB SD stuff...no issue.

don't take me wrong, I am not saying this won't be issue, just liked to passed this info...

Leaked version? Does that mean the phone is rooted in order to flash it?

Sent from my iPhone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    samsung are too busy releasing bunch of other different low end tablets with kitkat.... takes them forever to update their devices im sick of it, devs in forums have fully working 4.4.2 builds and samsung just cant do it on time whats the deal???

It's really very simple. All new Samsung models ship with the current OS. At least that's how it has been in recent history. All Samsung models that are slated to get updated to KK, will be updated to KK eventually. What a lot of people fail to understand is that Samsung devices are not Apple devices. You have different screen sizes, different chipsets, different resolutions, and even pen input on certain devices. The Note 8 is significantly different from the Galaxy S4, whereas the iPad Mini Retina is not all that different from the iPhone 5S. All of this means that every tablet needs to have a ROM written and optimized specifically for it.

As far as devs having their own ROMs, that argument is non sequitur. Samsung provides warranty for their product and their ROMs are tested to provide as perfect of an experience as possible. That is what is expected of them after all. Third party ROMs are provided with no guarantee or expectation of performance/reliability of any kind. Do you really want Samsung to throw together a ROM in the same way that our devs do, and leave the actual testing and bug reports to the end users? Are we paying money to be Samsung's beta testers?

And most importantly, due to the way Google is doing things, the actual version number matters less than in the past. Google updates all of their core apps and services irrespective of the actual ROM version that your device is running. Think about it, is there any difference between youtube, Gmail, play store, etc between ICS and KK? Unless you have an actual problem that you are hoping Samsung will fix with an update, I promise you that the official KK ROM will bring you absolutely nothing, just like with the Galaxy S4. It's really time for people to stop whining about the version number and just enjoy the tablet that I am 100% sure is not giving you any significant issues. And really, you all know how Android updates work, and I am sure you knew it going in. If not, you didn't do your homework. If having the latest version number is something that is paramount to you, you need a Nexus device or an Apple device. But good luck finding one with a digitizer, which I am assuming is the reason you bought the Note.
    This indeed good news for Note 8.0 owners!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/18/samsung-provides-list-of-which-us-galaxy-smartphones-and-tablets-will-see-kitkat-in-the-coming-months/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/18/samsung-kitkat-us/

Offical Samsung PR release note:

http://www.samsungmobileuspress.com/2014/02/18/Samsung-Confirms-KitKat-for-U.S.-Smartphones-and-Tablets

EDIT 5/12/2014:

Model: GT-N5100
    Model name: GALAXY Note 8.0
    Product Code: XEO
    PDA: N5100XXDND8
    CSC: N5100OXADND8
    MODEM: N5100XXDND8
    Download: http://samsung-updates.com/details/27854/Galaxy_Note_8.0_3G/WIFI/GT-N5100/XEO/N5100XXDND8.html

EDIT 5/19/2014:

Model: GT-N5110
    Model name: GALAXY Note 8.0 Wi-Fi
    Product Code: BTU
    PDA: N5110XXDNE1
    CSC: N5110OXADNE1
    MODEM: N5110XXDNE1
    Download: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=29611
    I'm not interested in Kit Kat. It has limited the access to my SD card and I can't see what it has given in return.

I'm more interested in a New Note 8 but it doesn't look like it is coming.

You're basing your judgment of Kit Kat on leaks and AOSP builds for devices that the code was not written for. The difference between our open source developer community and a manufacturer, the development community will release a build before every bug has been squashed whereas Samsung will continue to work on the code until they feel it is worthy of being released to the consumer.

There will be no problem accessing your external memory on an official 4.4.2 Kit Kat release from Samsung. It is up to the application developers to fix the external memory issue within the code in the app they are publishing, Google should be pushing these developers to incorporate the fix or start removing their apps from the Play store.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    It was said MARCH, not necesssrily this YEAR:)
    I wonder how long it'll take for us Canadians to get it... lol