Warning to users with active sync accounts that require pin lockscreen

Search This thread

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Many users have active sync accounts with pin code lock screen requirements. Vzw added a "feature" where you type if wrong 10 times and the phone will factory reset. With the lock screen gestures enabled it is much much easier to accidentally wipe your data due to this.

Until we get an insecure kernel that disables write protection to /system and can disable this "feature" be warned!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2012
Many users have active sync accounts with pin code lock screen requirements. Vzw added a "feature" where you type if wrong 10 times and the phone will factory reset. With the lock screen gestures enabled it is much much easier to accidentally wipe your data due to this.

Until we get an insecure kernel that disables write protection to /system and can disable this "feature" be warned!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

A sync account meaning a google account? This "feature" is pretty damn annoying.

May 3, 2012
To be fair, this is SOP for any business that allows users to connect their phones to their corp e-mail...

I didn't watch the video, but I assume he didn't connect his phone to his work and download the policy?

Reactions: travisryans

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
To be fair, this is SOP for any business that allows users to connect their phones to their corp e-mail...

I didn't watch the video, but I assume he didn't connect his phone to his work and download the policy?

Even BlackBerry makes you type in a confirmation. The wake gestures on this phone make it very easy to do in your pocket or bag.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

l7777

May 2, 2007
I don't think this is related to exchange, I think it's any lock screen. I use a pattern lock screen and it is the same. I've also turned off the gesture wake options.

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
This annoyed the crap out of me. I travel constantly with my phone and if it gets wiped during travel (and losing pictures and documents), that would equal me being fired from my job. My companies exchange server enforces security, which is a good thing, but then I have this device wipe thing hanging on my mind. On other devices, I can simply turn off this absolutely retarded option.

I had the same problem on the HTC M7. Luckily it can be disabled with root.

Anyway, once we get a proper root, you can set the failed attempts = 0 in an system xml file and then you will be good to go.

Edit this file:

/system/customize/ACC/default.xml
change this:
Code:
  <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">10</item>
to this
Code:
  <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">0</item>

Reboot and its disabled.

Reactions: bosshog187

muffnman

Feb 22, 2007
New York
Google Pixel XL
Moto Z3 Play
Exchange servers are known to push security policies which sometimes can hamper user experience and in some cases overstep the boundaries of BYOD setups in workplaces.

Using NitroDesk TouchDown for a few years now, allows an activesync connection to my work exchange server, but doesn't pull group policy to overtake my phone. I highly recommend it.. (man, that sounded like an ad)

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
Be aware the wipe on 10 attempts isn't an exchange policy. Some exchange policies can force a PIN or a password, but thats it.

HTC, as of recently on their devices, has mandated the wipe on 10 policy once any type of security is set (whether that is a PIN or a pattern or a password) regardless of exchange policy.

Whether its because of exchange or your own setting, any security lock enabled on the phone will trigger the wipe on 10 policy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This annoyed the crap out of me. I travel constantly with my phone and if it gets wiped during travel (and losing pictures and documents), that would equal me being fired from my job. My companies exchange server enforces security, which is a good thing, but then I have this device wipe thing hanging on my mind. On other devices, I can simply turn off this absolutely retarded option.

I had the same problem on the HTC M7. Luckily it can be disabled with root.

Anyway, once we get a proper root, you can set the failed attempts = 0 in an system xml file and then you will be good to go.

Edit this file:

/system/customize/ACC/default.xml
    change this:
    Code:
      <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">10</item>
    to this
    Code:
      <item type="integer" name="devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe">0</item>

Reboot and its disabled.