[N2E] Nook 2nd Edition Touch - Development

Search This thread

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
Until we get a dedicated forum, at that time this thread can be moved, we can talk about development and progress aside from rooting. I'll start off with remapping the buttons on the front of the device.

In DOS you can pull the keyboard map file below
Code:
adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl

Once pulled you can edit it in a program like Notepad++ and edit the following lines
Code:
key 407 RIGHT_NEXTPAGE
key 412 LEFT_NEXTPAGE
key 139 LEFT_PREVPAGE
key 158 RIGHT_PREVPAGE
You can change LEFT_NEXTPAGE to MENU and LEFT_PREVPAGE to BACK and now you have hard mapped Menu and Back buttons. I have ordered my own nook I've just been messing with a co-workers so I haven't found the Power button or "n" button mappings if they are in fact in the file.

Finally you can push the file back to the nook
Code:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb push TWL4030_Keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl

I've locked it up before when trying to boot nookie. Called tech support and they told me that holding down power button more than 20 secs, does a hardware reboot. Works.

Last edited:

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
I installed the Android app store, but I am receiving the following error message:

"For security your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market"

How do I turn that off?

Thanks.

This will allow non-market installs [unzip sqlite3.zip]

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';"
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
del settings.db

Also if you want to install SQLite3 to the N2E you can just push it to the device. [unzip sqlite3 (push to n2e).zip]

Code:
adb push sqlite3 /system/bin

Attachments

• sqlite3.zip
    703 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

xmas_spirit

Dec 26, 2010
hey, i dont own nook touch, but this should work, just as on Nook color (from video I seen):

to go BACK, you dont need to remap key, just swipe with finger from right-to-left in clock area (on nook color it was at bottom, but on nook touch it should be at top position).

post results..

Reactions: xboxexpert

FletchF

Aug 15, 2010
hey, i dont own nook touch, but this should work, just as on Nook color (from video I seen):

to go BACK, you dont need to remap key, just swipe with finger from right-to-left in clock area (on nook color it was at bottom, but on nook touch it should be at top position).

post results..

Yes, I've been doing this.

jttraverse

Jul 12, 2010
Nook 2nd Ed. Touch --from an SD card?

(First, sorry if this isn't the perfect place to post this...so feel free to move it if there's a better place.)

Ahem...uh, well...this question comes up because I happen to work at a business that is currently selling Nooks, and we've just received the new Touch version. However, for some brilliant (<<sarcasm) reason the demo units we've received are not really demo's, they only play a little presentation that shows how what the features are, and it loops over and over. So, we're very surprised that with this new touch sensitive Nook the user really doesn't have any chance to see how it actually works. No ability to test it, read, use the touch screen..nada! Wtf??

I'm curious whether someone might be able to make a bootable copy of the Touch software that will run off a SD card? If we could at least boot off the SD card so customers could at least see how the thing really functions, then it sure would make selling them easier...and no harm done afterward :)
-JTT

AidenM

Mar 10, 2011
(First, sorry if this isn't the perfect place to post this...so feel free to move it if there's a better place.)

Ahem...uh, well...this question comes up because I happen to work at a business that is currently selling Nooks, and we've just received the new Touch version. However, for some brilliant (<<sarcasm) reason the demo units we've received are not really demo's, they only play a little presentation that shows how what the features are, and it loops over and over. So, we're very surprised that with this new touch sensitive Nook the user really doesn't have any chance to see how it actually works. No ability to test it, read, use the touch screen..nada! Wtf??

I'm curious whether someone might be able to make a bootable copy of the Touch software that will run off a SD card? If we could at least boot off the SD card so customers could at least see how the thing really functions, then it sure would make selling them easier...and no harm done afterward :)
-JTT

Of course this might be possible, but considering the limitations of this device (black and white, not meant to be a tablet) this would be very hard to achieve. The first step would be finding out if the thing can boot sd cards with a custom boot image.

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
Of course this might be possible, but considering the limitations of this device (black and white, not meant to be a tablet) this would be very hard to achieve. The first step would be finding out if the thing can boot sd cards with a custom boot image.

I do not see why it couldn't boot from SD since it boots from the SD to actually root it. I see ALOT of the original Nook color mod's and scripts working on this little device since it does not deviate from the Nook color design much.

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
What does the partition shceme look like on the Nook Touch? Is it anyway similar to Nook Color? Don't have one yet, but plan on picking one up soon.

Thanks,
Racks

jaysckap

Sep 21, 2010
10 char

Sent from my BAMF Thunderbolt powered by Sense 3.0

pcm2a

May 22, 2007
I was hoping that mapping HOME to one of the left buttons would bring up my launcher (ADW) but instead it it brings up the same menu as the N button. Any ideas how to map a button to a launcher?

I have found that Button Savior dies a lot, which means I can't get back to the launcher.

aruangra

Dec 11, 2010
I remap the left keys as follows:

key 412 VOLUME_DOWN
key 139 VOLUME_UP

In Kindle, I set Kindle to use volume buttons for page turning. Then I can use the hard buttons for page turning in Kindle ! This also works in other reading programs for example Aldiko, NewsRob.

Does anyone know the key code of the Nook button and the action to launch the launcher ?

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
In trying to install the gapps on my NT, I've had to restore to factory twice. I started using the instructions for the NC here:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:Manua...gapps_google_applications_onto_your_NookColor

Code:
adb push nc_gapps.zip /media
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system 
cd /media
miniunz -x nc_gapps.zip -d /system/ 
echo "ro.config.nocheckin=no" >> /system/build.prop
exit

After installing the signed_youtube.apk I reboot.

Can someone who's done this post some details?

Last edited:

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
In trying to install the gapps on my NT, I've had to restore to factory twice. I started using the instructions for the NC here:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:Manua...gapps_google_applications_onto_your_NookColor

Code:
adb push nc_gapps.zip /media
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system 
cd /media
miniunz -x nc_gapps.zip -d /system/ 
echo "ro.config.nocheckin=no" >> /system/build.prop
exit

After installing the signed_youtube.apk I reboot.

Can someone who's done this post some details?

I know framework.jar does not like Nook Touch. BTW how did you factory reset?

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
To do a factory reset reboot x 8. Interrupt each boot with a powercycle prior to the "Nook..." screen.

It's really getting tough to find things, I'm following multiple nt threads, and I could swear someone wrote about installing gapps.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
remount

Below is a handy script for mounting /system I keep in my /system/xbin directory. Originally from sdx for my epic, modified for the nook touch.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

case $1 in
rw)
  echo "Remounting /system in read/write mode"
  mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system ;;
ro)
    echo "Remounting /system in read-only mode"
   mount -o ro,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system ;;
*)
    echo "usage: remount rw   -or-   remount ro";;
esac

/system/xbin does not exist, it needs creation. I keep personal scripts there, and binaries such as busybox, bash, su, etc.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Extracting the root filesystem

These instructions assume using a linux console.

The root filesystem lives in a u-boot/PPCboot ramdisk. These instructions tell you how to extract it.

Boot your nt with the "rooted forever" sdcard while connected with usb.

Make a copy of the boot partition. After this you may reboot your nt normally.

$ tar -cf boot.tar boot/

$ tar xvf boot.tar

$ cd boot

Extract the uRamdisk file. first 64 bytes is the u-boot header, we need to skip it.

$ dd if=URamdisk bs=64 skip=1 of=ramdisk.gz

ramdisk.gz now contains the root file system.

Copy ramdisk.gz to a empty directory, then extract it:

gunzip -v ramdisk.gz
cpio -iv < ramdisk

Now the root file system has populated your work dir. Delete the file ramdisk. You can now make changes to the root file system, and using mkimage (in theory) reconstruct the uRamdisk.

That part I haven't done yet.

Last edited:

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
What does the partition shceme look like on the Nook Touch? Is it anyway similar to Nook Color? Don't have one yet, but plan on picking one up soon.

Thanks,
Racks

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                   113.8M         0    113.8M   0% /dev
tmpfs                     4.0M         0      4.0M   0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2     15.7M    118.5K     15.6M   1% /rom
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5    278.9M    187.2M     88.8M  68% /system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p8    789.3M     80.2M    701.1M  10% /data
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7    232.4M      6.1M    223.9M   3% /cache
/dev/block//vold/179:6
                        236.3M    682.0K    235.6M   0% /media
/dev/block//vold/179:17
                          7.4G      3.1G      4.3G  42% /sdcard

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
dropbear & rsync

Dropbear and rsync are installed and working well on the nt. This setup allows me sync the libraries on most of my reading devices (exceptions PlayBook & iPad - walled gardens).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Which version of Gapps did you use from the Cyanogen page? I thought since we are running a 2.1 rom we would need a CM5 version, no? Which download of vending.apk and Gapps did you use?

Use this vending it works for searching.
    Until we get a dedicated forum, at that time this thread can be moved, we can talk about development and progress aside from rooting. I'll start off with remapping the buttons on the front of the device.

In DOS you can pull the keyboard map file below
    Code:
    adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl

Once pulled you can edit it in a program like Notepad++ and edit the following lines
    Code:
    key 407 RIGHT_NEXTPAGE
    key 412 LEFT_NEXTPAGE
    key 139 LEFT_PREVPAGE
    key 158 RIGHT_PREVPAGE
    You can change LEFT_NEXTPAGE to MENU and LEFT_PREVPAGE to BACK and now you have hard mapped Menu and Back buttons. I have ordered my own nook I've just been messing with a co-workers so I haven't found the Power button or "n" button mappings if they are in fact in the file.

Finally you can push the file back to the nook
    Code:
    adb push TWL4030_Keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl

I've locked it up before when trying to boot nookie. Called tech support and they told me that holding down power button more than 20 secs, does a hardware reboot. Works.
    Got Market and Talk working by using the Gapps available in 2.12.25.
    Calendar also works sort of. There's this huge SD logo over it for some reason like when you insert and sdcard but it's syncing and stuff.

Followed these steps:
    http://nookdevs.com/index.php?title=Enable_the_Android_Market&oldid=3917

Logged in via YouTube, Market didn't work.

I used the ID from my phone but the emulator ID should still work.

Market still didn't work.

Then I took Gapps from 2.12.25 and copied them onto the Touch taking care not to use the framework.jar included.

Rebooted

Market works. So do Calendar and Talk.
    Recovery.

Turn off.
    Push power button and hold, then press and hold bottom left and right page buttons for 5 seconds.

Source:
    http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/Nook/source-code/nook2_1-0.tgz

post results..