broken volume button after display replacement

Search This thread

fredbred

Jan 22, 2008
I have successfully replaced the screen on the HTC HD2 Leo, but after assembling the phone the volume button is not working. I am not sure if there can be something missing as I cannot feel the 'click' when it's pushed. (not sure if it was there before though)

As far as I remember the volume button consist of two parts: the printed circuit and the plastic button. Or is there maybe something that needs to be connected that I have missed?

Thanks for any hints

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I have successfully replaced the screen on the HTC HD2 Leo, but after assembling the phone the volume button is not working. I am not sure if there can be something missing as I cannot feel the 'click' when it's pushed. (not sure if it was there before though)

As far as I remember the volume button consist of two parts: the printed circuit and the plastic button. Or is there maybe something that needs to be connected that I have missed?

Thanks for any hints

dismantle it again, it can be the plastic button its self, it acts like a spring under its own tension, when I re built mine the first time the lower button had stopped worked well, and it was simple because I hadn't put it back right, it was, and it looked right, but it wasn't quite right

htccraze

Oct 20, 2010
Hiding from under the bed
I would a agree with dazza9075. Sometimes when putting the phone back together it may look right but sometimes its not. If i remember correctly there is a little spot it fits right into but you need to make sure it goes in in just the right way,
both on the top and the bottom. There is a complete how to guide to replace the lcd screen on the HD2. If i find it I will post the link. It may clear up just how you need to place the vol button back in place. Worse case you can always find a
cheap volume button for only a few dollars on ebay to see if maybe you broke this one when trying to replace the screen.

fredbred

Jan 22, 2008
Hi, I did not manage to fix the button, but managed to get by without it.Till now. I was looking in google for a solution and found my own tread from ages ago...

Now, I would need to put the button together again. I looked into it and I guess I am missing a piece that the plastic button is supposed to be pushing. Before I order something, can anyone please confirm and possibly post a picture of what the button it should look like under the plastic part. Also if you know what the part I need is called, please let know. Please see below how my button "circuit" looks like.

Many thanks for any help

Attachments

• P1120006.jpg
    P1120006.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 262
  • P1120005.jpg
    P1120005.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 266

Vesavoj

Feb 16, 2013
This is what you should have bellow the button;)

Attachments

• For-Volume-Button-Contact-Chip-for-HTC-Desire-HD2.jpg
    For-Volume-Button-Contact-Chip-for-HTC-Desire-HD2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 156

fredbred

Jan 22, 2008
This is what you should have bellow the button;)

Thanks for your response. I could not find the buttons separately and have therefore ordered the button ribbon for the 5 hw keys for under $3, which hopefully will be possible to dissemble and transfer. I would rather not buy the whole flex cable, where's the button is attached to, as this is quite expensive $20+.

I let you know if I was lucky. If you know where I can buy only the small pieces I am missing, please let me know.

A pic of what I ordered is attached fyi

Attachments

• ribbon_hd2.jpg
    ribbon_hd2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 84

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
You can actually do lcd & digi removal & refit without need to remove flex ribbon completely thus keep the volume button & cables running to mainboard all in place and those small button caps are safe still wrapped in original tape & it all goes back together factory style ...