Should Google leave cyanogen alone?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

garok89

Jun 24, 2009
East Kilbride
i am sure you have all read the news.... google sending cyanogen a cease and desist order

http://androidandme.com/2009/09/hacks/cyanogenmod-in-trouble/

please cast ur vote in this thread as a petition

for anyone who doesnt quite get it, google is threatening the future of custom ROM development...not just cyanogens ROMs
you wanna keep using ur favorite custom ROM? let google know they cant push these guys around

although they cant stop us making roms, they want us to stop including google propriatory apps

Last edited:

bluecluenj

Jul 31, 2009
Trenton
Wow thats great. Cyanogen and devs like him are what are keeping android relevant. Shut down the devs and I for one will go back to winmo.

blueheeler

Nov 7, 2008
Corpus Christi
Won't this affect all devs?
Won't this affect all roms?
If this scenario plays out, we will have a mess on our hands.
Why did the even bother to issue and distribute developer phones?
Maybe I just don't understand.

rasturn

Apr 8, 2008
My Google Experience

Sucked!!!!! Not long ago Google and Tmobile sold me a piece of S#!T, that was slow only hold about 20 good apps. I was ready to throw it out the window under a moving bus!!!!! Cyanogen is the only person that made to keep this phone, but if no more usable ROMS, that Nokia N900 is looking real nice about now,or even the palm pre, i guess its time to start saving $ again

hiroots

Apr 12, 2009
Country,Hawai'i
www.twitter.com
wow wtf man. cyan and every other dev really did make android way better then what thery have right now. having root on your android makes using it so much easier. and! all the devs made htc and googles dev's work way better. i think there just jelous becuase they didnt push it earlier. also why didnt they stop haykuro when he was working on 1.5, damn man. lol cyan should make another sn and release it under there and says with help from cyanogen.

open source my a$$.

bbuchacher

Jun 3, 2009
cyanogen made me rethink the possibilities on my G1, if google follows through with this... dare i say it... ugh I WILL GO TO AN I PHONE.. barrrfffffffff

but i will cause seriously Cyanogen is a genius, they need to hire him to train their own dev's cause their **** aint got nuthin on cyanogen's roms

T

The Reverend Gridlock

Didn't google promise us open source well this goes against it in every way
If it is such a big issues than offer those closed source apps on the market and cyan can pull them out of his roms. Problem solved

If google proceeds in this direction, then i forsee android tanking

Every one here is either using something from cyan or has at some point

bob50963

Jun 30, 2009
Las vegas
Wow what a douche move google. The only thing that will end here is probably the busy android dev section. There will always be developing going on forums that allow illegal activity.

We will always have hacked roms :). We will just have to move to a new forum unless xda changes there ways.

Anyways looks like some one is jealous of cyans killer skills :)

Last edited:

cloverdale

Feb 9, 2009
Eugene, OR
www.jbthemes.com
They have absolutely no right to do this. Every bit (no pun intended) of the computing world should be open source. Anyone whom feels otherwise is part of the problem and an enemy to knowledge and free thought. An individual whom takes part in the suppression of knowledge is guilty of the highest crimes of humanity, and should be punished justly.

garok89

Jun 24, 2009
East Kilbride
im amazed we had a vote for "no"
any member of these forums must realize the bigger picture with this....
about 30,000 installs of the CM-Updater cant be lying.....people love and NEED these roms....

TheGreenJester

Apr 21, 2009
While they do have the "right" to do this, it will not benefit them...

If it is the closed source bits that are the issue, then they are essentially saying it's ok to release a rom with every google app removed (no gmail, no maps, no youtube, etc.)

Do they not want their customers to use their services? Do they want me to use a yahoo email account? Do they want me to use mapquest? I fail to see how that would be to their benefit.

If they don't like him releasing these roms then they should do better themselves so devs wouldn't have to release them! Step it up google. I dare you to outdo Cyanogen. I double dog dare you!

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Some Devs need to make open-source replacement apps for the one's Google's making a stink about... then Cyan won't have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.