apps reverting back to previous versions randomly.

Search This thread

coupey

Feb 4, 2014
most specifically my Facebook app. whenever I force quit it or reboot the phone, my Facebook app reverts back to an old version. it says its the most up to date version when I check the version # and there's no updates available. I am rooted and have turned auto update off on the app within play store. this is really obnoxious having to uninstall and then reinstall the app multiple times a day bc the old version is AWFUL. any help would be appreciated GREATLY!

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
most specifically my Facebook app. whenever I force quit it or reboot the phone, my Facebook app reverts back to an old version. it says its the most up to date version when I check the version # and there's no updates available. I am rooted and have turned auto update off on the app within play store. this is really obnoxious having to uninstall and then reinstall the app multiple times a day bc the old version is AWFUL. any help would be appreciated GREATLY!

What ROM are you running and what version of Google play store do you have? Haven't noticed this issue.

coupey

Feb 4, 2014
What ROM are you running and what version of Google play store do you have? Haven't noticed this issue.

stock ROM and 4.5.10. its actually not just or force quits and reboots but that generates the problem 100% of the time. I noticed sometimes when I go to my Facebook app it'll just be an old version. although it has the same and most up to date version when I check the version #. when I uninstall and then install again its back to the newest version. reverts randomly a few hours later.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
stock ROM and 4.5.10. its actually not just or force quits and reboots but that generates the problem 100% of the time. I noticed sometimes when I go to my Facebook app it'll just be an old version. although it has the same and most up to date version when I check the version #. when I uninstall and then install again its back to the newest version. reverts randomly a few hours later.

Is it only the Facebook app doing this? I'd try wiping data/cache for app, going to recovery, backup, wipe data/cache, reboot and try to see if problem persists. If it does, something between the Facebook app and google play is not working correct.

coupey

Feb 4, 2014
heres screenshot of app before and after a soft reboot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-56-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-56-10.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-56-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-04-21-56-54.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 63

coupey

Feb 4, 2014
Is it only the Facebook app doing this? I'd try wiping data/cache for app, going to recovery, backup, wipe data/cache, reboot and try to see if problem persists. If it does, something between the Facebook app and google play is not working correct.

it is the only app doing it that ive noticed but since im fairly new to android, its hard for me to tell older versions from new ones, this one is just SO obvious and frankly that old version is just awful.

i wiped data/cache from the app, went into recovery and wiped cache partition but didnt wipe the data, i assume that completely wipes the phone? sorry like i said i have only had this phone for 2 weeks from long time iphone user minus a short stint with a moto droid in 2009.

RevelationOmega

Jan 30, 2014
Florida
it is the only app doing it that ive noticed but since im fairly new to android, its hard for me to tell older versions from new ones, this one is just SO obvious and frankly that old version is just awful.

i wiped data/cache from the app, went into recovery and wiped cache partition but didnt wipe the data, i assume that completely wipes the phone? sorry like i said i have only had this phone for 2 weeks from long time iphone user minus a short stint with a moto droid in 2009.

It's perfectly fine. Yes, don't wipe the data since that will wipe everything. But, since this did not clear up the issue, it sounds like a Facebook problem. I've heard many people complain about layaway build. Best thing I could say to do is try uninstall, reboot phone, and try reinstall. If that doesn't work, I'd try to find last version Facebook apk file (or current Facebook version apk file) NOT from play store, install,and wait for Facebook to fix the app from this problem. Still seeing possible other way to fix. By installing apk not from play store would allow phone to hopefully not reset to old version since play store doesn't realize you have Facebook anymore (since not from play store). A quick work around until fixed.

mortenmhp

Jul 23, 2008
Hedensted
If this is facebook only, it might very well be a Facebook problem. Especially when you say that it changes even though the version of the apk stays the same.

Facebook has been testing the new layout by having both the new and the old one in the same apk, then they enable or disable it server side by accounts in order to try different versions of the new layout for different people and see the different responses in usage and so on. This sounds like a bug with that mechanism inside the Facebook app, and is not fixable as such. I for one have yet to see the new layout on my device.

You could try clearing the data for the facebook app to see if that helps.

coupey

Feb 4, 2014
It's perfectly fine. Yes, don't wipe the data since that will wipe everything. But, since this did not clear up the issue, it sounds like a Facebook problem. I've heard many people complain about layaway build. Best thing I could say to do is try uninstall, reboot phone, and try reinstall. If that doesn't work, I'd try to find last version Facebook apk file (or current Facebook version apk file) NOT from play store, install,and wait for Facebook to fix the app from this problem. Still seeing possible other way to fix. By installing apk not from play store would allow phone to hopefully not reset to old version since play store doesn't realize you have Facebook anymore (since not from play store). A quick work around until fixed.

ill give it a shot! is that 2nd picture i posted an old version or is that possibly a new version yet to be released?

coupey

Feb 4, 2014
bump. it started doing it again :| downloading apk no longer works. this is beyond frustrating!