[Q] 4G or LTE with Straight Talk AT&T?

Search This thread

lisah420

Jan 10, 2014
After weeks of playing around with build.props, APNs, and patches, on custom ROMs and stock, I am still attempting to get faster and more consistent data.
4G and LTE are supposed to be possible, but I can't figure it out.
I can get around 5 Mbps down using WCDMA only, but the very next moment in the same spot could be something entirely different.
My mobile data goes out quite often where it is just the outline of a triangle. I have never seen any other letters besides an E and a H.

I am currently on stable CM 10.2.1 installed on a newly created and wiped SS Slot 1, and have been for about a week and a half.
I used default network = 0 in build.prop this time around.

I finally managed to get my phone to recognize my SIM card while using the following configuration:
default network in Phone Testing = LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) and
preferred network mode in Mobile Network Settings = Global (CDMA/EVDO/LTE/GSM/WCDMA).
It acted really strange at first but the settings stayed even after a handful of reboots.
I am using Straight Talk's current APN settings (tfdata).

My dBm is constantly going from about -90 something to -108 and my asu ranges from around 3 to 14.
Before I just now rebooted, and every so often, it shows 2147483647 dBm and 255 asu; I have only just noticed this in the past few days, however. It is now back to -101 dBm and 6 asu after restarting.
I have attached screenshots of it doing that and a shot of "normalcy", as well as my last few speed tests.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
Should I try default network = 10 again in build.prop?
Or could anyone provide a copy of a build.prop working on all possible network modes (with the ability to edit APNs)?

Thanks in advance. I will take any and all advice or opinions.
I am so over trying to figure this out! When I really need my mobile data, it doesn't work!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-14-00-00-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-14-00-00-58.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_2014-02-14-14-30-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-14-14-30-50.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_2014-02-14-14-29-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-14-14-29-43.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

lisah420

Jan 10, 2014
I have attached a couple of graphs of my signal highs/lows etc. These results are from the Real Signal app.

I don't really know what they mean, but I am hoping they might shed some light on my issue and I'll get an answer from someone.

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392675882512.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392675882512.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 77
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392675953850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392675953850.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 78

twfs

Oct 3, 2013
Google Pixel 6
How are you getting it to get edge data? On mine I either have HSPA or nothing. Is there a way to make it default automatically to edge when the HSPA signal gets weak. I tried using liquid smooth 4.2.2 and changed it to 2g only and never could get signal. Change it to auto and get HSPA again

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

lisah420

Jan 10, 2014
should i take the bionic out office space style?

How are you getting it to get edge data? On mine I either have HSPA or nothing. Is there a way to make it default automatically to edge when the HSPA signal gets weak. I tried using liquid smooth 4.2.2 and changed it to 2g only and never could get signal. Change it to auto and get HSPA again

Not really sure how, and when it is on Edge, data hardly works anyway, so I probably can't help you there.
But I do have default network = 10. Only other thing I changed was telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0 to get the APN menu under mobile networks.

However, at the moment (and the majority of moments), with Wi-fi off, I have no data, -109 dBm, 5 asu, GPRS service is disconnected, and my phone number is "unknown", so I am definitely not in the position for giving suggestions.

Am going to try CM 11 again today, but I was hoping for some answers before doing anything other than installing..

I will ask more specific questions in the hopes that someone, anyone, can provide some sort of idea for at least 1 of them..
  • Is it even possible for the Bionic to have consistent, non-frustrating access to 2G, 3G, 4G, and LTE when unlocked for the AT&T or T-Mobile networks using Straight Talk?
  • Is there a way to enable the APN menu without changing the build.prop?
  • Does anyone have a targa build.prop (entire thing or line changes) of phone that has reliable data, etc. working on 2G, 3G, 4G, and LTE?
  • Could it be an issue with the SIM card itself?
  • Am I even approaching this from the right angle?
  • Should I just give up and get a new phone?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

netzerite

Patch Idea

I am a novice at best and that may be a stretch.

BUT. Both of my Bionics are running on Straight Talk AT&T 4G sim cards.
One is a hardware REV-B the other is hardware REV-C.
The REV-C is rooted and running on the Jelly Bean stock rom.
The REV-B is rooted and running on a MoKee MK4.4 KitKat Release that I downloaded
from their site and opened in "Safestrap".

I do not think that I have achieved 4G yet however,
I do have fairly stable signal and data since
I installed a CDMA to GSM patch that I found searching these forums.
It includes Straight Talk and AT&T APN!

I am not aloud to post links yet. But if you search for these things here you will probably find them fairly quickly.

I would love to know if you can achieve 4G!

Good Luck!

Netzerite