Would Like to Hack a Premium Case for possible S-View and Wireless Charging

Search This thread

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
I have looked on here at a lot of threads talking about wireless charging and S-View. It seem the general consensus is that the top two pins above the battery are for the NFC and the three next to the battery are for wireless charging and s-view. The problem is that most everyone claims that the top two pins in the row of three next to the battery are for charging and the S-view has the lone third pin. After watching several reviews on the flip cover and the s-view cover without wireless charging it appears that both covers use the top two pins. Is it possible that people are wrong about this? Could pin 1 (top) be for the s-view and pin 2 (middle) be a common for both pins 1 and 3. Then pin 3 be for wireless charging positive lead?

Would also like to know what makes the phone go into S-view mode. Is it a connection being made between the pins? I figure this can't be too complicated. But I do not want to short between two pins and ruin the phone.

Any real help on this would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQtee6GJ4M

above link to non charging s-view review

Thanks again

DevilDogAK

Oct 4, 2009
Juneau, AK
S View w/o qi

I have looked on here at a lot of threads talking about wireless charging and S-View. It seem the general consensus is that the top two pins above the battery are for the NFC and the three next to the battery are for wireless charging and s-view. The problem is that most everyone claims that the top two pins in the row of three next to the battery are for charging and the S-view has the lone third pin. After watching several reviews on the flip cover and the s-view cover without wireless charging it appears that both covers use the top two pins. Is it possible that people are wrong about this? Could pin 1 (top) be for the s-view and pin 2 (middle) be a common for both pins 1 and 3. Then pin 3 be for wireless charging positive lead?

Would also like to know what makes the phone go into S-view mode. Is it a connection being made between the pins? I figure this can't be too complicated. But I do not want to short between two pins and ruin the phone.

Any real help on this would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQtee6GJ4M

above link to non charging s-view review

Thanks again

I have the S View cover w/o qi. I took off the cover and lined it up with the phone and it appears that the S View cover uses the bottom 2 pins. I hope this helps.

moto211

Mar 21, 2007
I don't have a case to test but judging by the information in the wireless charging thread, the top pin is the positive terminal and the middle one is ground. If the s-view uses the middle and bottom pins, is it possible that we just need to ground the bottom pin to the middle pin to activate s-view?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

side808

May 30, 2010
2 pins covered, S View doesn't work
Top pin covered, S View doesn't work
Bottom pin covered, S View doesn't work

All pins must be uncovered for S View to work.

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

moto211

Mar 21, 2007
Do those pins make contact with the top and middle pins next to the battery?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

snowwhite007

Jan 17, 2011
Scotland
I have installed the galaxy S3 and Note 2 wireless cards on my N3 and my brothers used top two pins works great. Covered middle pin doesn't work
Covered top pin doesn't work

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
2 pins covered, S View doesn't work
Top pin covered, S View doesn't work
Bottom pin covered, S View doesn't work

All pins must be uncovered for S View to work.

View attachment 2328140

View attachment 2328141

View attachment 2328142

View attachment 2328143

I can verify that simply making the connection between the the bottom two pins to the left of the battery does not initiate s-view function. So can any one with an Sview case take measurements with a multimeter to see if there is a change between the two pins with the case open or closed?
S-view case owners could you run a magnet around the window side of the case to see if a magnet is embedded in the case? I am thinking it could be a combination of things that trigger the s-view.

Also if any one has a non-sview case that wakes up the phone when opened I am interested in measurements between your pins when the case is open or closed and if there is a magnet embedded in your case
I think it is safe to say that the middle pin is the common between pins 1 and 3 and pin one for qi charging and pin 3 for cases,

Thanks for the responses and checking

frank26080115

Feb 2, 2012
I am waiting for my own official S-View + Qi cover, once I get it, I will get you some detailed resistance measurements between the pins.

Reactions: Mohwak

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
Snagged this from another thread about Sview covers.

It does not say if the case is open or closed. I assume it is open though.

Sview people: where the pins are on the cover are there leads going down into the cover or the do the pins just snap on the cover and there is a chip or something mounted right there with the pins?

On other threads I see people mentioning a chip but I have not seen one.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380914510905.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380914510905.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,876
Last edited:

frank26080115

Feb 2, 2012
Hmm... I tried to edit my original post but it didn't work. I was going to add: they might have put in resistors to identify the size of the S-View window

They probably have different resistances to indicate that it is
  • a cover with no window
  • a cover with a narrow window
  • a cover with a wide window

this is so that the S-View software can determine what to show on the screen

there are 5 pins, 2 are labelled NFC already so we know those are used for NFC. one of them is ground, the other one is the charging input (I know this because if I attach a 5V source to that pin, the phone tells me that "wireless charger is in range"), so this leaves only one pin.

the only logical way of identifying these windows sizes using one pin is to change the resistance.

edit:

The note 3 can detect the colour of the case you are attaching and automatically customise the background colour of the s-view screen to compliment the colour of your case.

Maybe it's not the size, maybe it's the colour that gets detected by resistors

Last edited:

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
magnet on s view case

Guy with an s-view case just sent this to me... So pins and magnet..

"There is a magnetic sensor in the phone about 15 mm up and 5 mm in from the bottom left of the phone. There is also a magnet on the case"

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
Last edited:

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
More information...

Here is some information I got from the guys at Mobile Fun

"There is a validation chip in the back of the case that tells the Note 3 to activate the S-View window when the front is covering the screen, the case also uses a small magnet to activate this function similarly to the S-View cases for the S4."

frank26080115

Feb 2, 2012
Here is some information I got from the guys at Mobile Fun

"There is a validation chip in the back of the case that tells the Note 3 to activate the S-View window when the front is covering the screen, the case also uses a small magnet to activate this function similarly to the S-View cases for the S4."

sweet, I love a challenge, o'scope and logic analyzer ready to go here

if it's just a ground pin and a data pin, it's probably 1-wire protocol, right now that pin is normally 1.8V with a periodic 50 microsecond 0V pulse. This pulse is probably there to ask the chip for a reply. It seems to check for the chip once every second.

edit:

Just checked, this meets the minimum T-RSTL time for Maxim's 1-wire protocol.

In the best case scenario, all you have to do is implement a off-the-shelf Maxim brand EEPROM chip, loaded with the ID that it expects. Or just rip it out of an existing S-View case.

In the worst case scenario, you might need an entire microcontroller to handle some challenge-response type requests. I HIGHLY doubt this.

edit:

WARNING, stop attempting to short that pin to ground, although I doubt it's doing any harm because Samsung probably added some form of over current or short circuit protection, it's still safer to assume that they did not.

Last edited:

Mohwak

Jan 13, 2010
Decatur
no more shorting, promise.

I don't think that will buy a 60.00 dollar case then rip the guts out of it..I will at least wait until I can catch on sale if it turns out to be the only way.

Thanks again

Dimlow_uk

Apr 15, 2007
I pulled out the chip from my s view case for you guys. It's marked like this.

237A1

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Oh . I'm that guy that measured the contacts and gave that info to mohawk.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my 3rd party s view case and 3rd party qi charging coil to work together.
    Had to cut out a piece on charging coil cover for the bottom contact on smart chip to make contact. Also scrape some of the cover on charging coil cover to expose other side the ground pin so it could make contact with the top smart chip contact.

Some pics...
    Hi Guys

Bad news, it is literally impossible to replicate a S-View flip cover using any hardware. You are better off trying to come up with a software solution.

This is because the pins in the back is an ID chip that Samsung custom ordered from Maxim Integrated, it has a customized family code and 64-bit ID. Samsung and Maxim probably have a contract prohibiting Maxim from selling the same chips with the same ID to anybody else.

Read all about it here: http://eleccelerator.com/reverse-engineering-and-cloning-a-s-view-flip-cover/

it can be bought here: :laugh:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/12...ng_GALAXY_Note_3_Case_Chip_Auto_Sleep_IC.html
    you don't have to double post the same thing in two different thread.

I'm not sure what you mean. I just looked at my profile and the only other post I made was about the Nook HD+ back in October. If you have the answer to my question though I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    The Gear is definitely disappointing, I personally own a Pebble, which I feel does a great job at not "trying too hard", and has great battery life.

$80 for a wireless charging back and S-View isn't tooooooo unreasonable, Samsung's quality is certainly going to be better than the cheap knockoffs.

My order on the official cover got delayed again because of stock troubles, pushed to 24th of Oct...
    As described

Read the threads above, and thanks for the info. Did the test with my $60 S-View flip cover case and 3rd party wireless charging receiver. Aligned and used the middle pin as common ground, and there it is - I ended up a S View flip cover with wireless charging function. The S-view wake/sleep function works as usual.

Still need to see if there is any side effect longer term, but cross my fingers.