DRM Partition....?

Search This thread

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
To anyone reading this it's probably old news, but this is my first Sony device ever, and I didn't do my homework. Knowing that unlocking the bootloader erases the entire phone it's usually the first thing I do when I get a new phone. Having said that I obviously lost my DRM when I didn't back up my TA Partition. Everything I find by searching has to do with either avoiding loss in the first place or it's an older post regarding the Z. Does anyone know exactly what I've lost. My understanding from old posts is this:

-you lose over the air updates
-you lose use of Sony digital services that require DRM
-you lose x-reality display functionality

Do these still hold true with the Z2 and KitKat?

Thanks

KyleSforza

Mar 9, 2013
Delhi
www.facebook.com
Well, you're the one to tell! Since you're among the first few to get this device.

I think Z1 had camera issues after unlocking the boot loader, do you have those? Is camera taking pictures as good as before?

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
Well, you're the one to tell! Since you're among the first few to get this device.

I think Z1 had camera issues after unlocking the boot loader, do you have those? Is camera taking pictures as good as before?

I ran the camera through its paces. Very quick and very nice results. Also, I tested the video and 4K recording, all seems fine. I am able to toggle the X-reality mobile engine on and off but can't tell if it does anything. I'm not familiar with its purpose but generally opt out of visual software enhancements anyway so maybe I'll luck out.

I'm pissed at myself... I don't use Sony services really so renting movies and such should pose an issue. I was able to connect to my PS4 remotely and download a game so that doesn't seem effected.

What else can I check?

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
If you can or care you might wish to see if video output at HD is still possible, I know you can't try 4k yet till the cable becomes available.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
By whatever means, you have lost your dmca keys so the phone should refuse to output video at HD or above.

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
By whatever means, you have lost your dmca keys so the phone should refuse to output video at HD or above.

MHL adapter is the only physical output I'm aware of.....I don't have one of those. I can use HD chromecast no problem but that's 3rd party content, not Z2 created video. I'm trying to come up with another way to test it and drawing a blank.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
As I said that connector is not available yet but I wasn't sure if you could output HD video via another means as my phone is on backorder like most folks. I'm thinking you wont be able to because that's situation normal but you would be the first person I've read of that could confirm it.

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
I understand what you are saying. MHL 3.0 cable isn't available. You said the phone should not be able to output HD, which I took to mean 1080. That test would be possible using MHL 1.0 or 2.0, and that's what I was referring to when I said I don't have one. I'd buy one for the purpose of testing this out unless there is some other way I can accomplish this testing. I don't know of any other way and it seems like you don't either.....am I understanding all this correctly. I should buy an MHL 2.0 and see if I can output some 1080 video?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I understand what you are saying. MHL 3.0 cable isn't available. You said the phone should not be able to output HD, which I took to mean 1080. That test would be possible using MHL 1.0 or 2.0, and that's what I was referring to when I said I don't have one. I'd buy one for the purpose of testing this out unless there is some other way I can accomplish this testing. I don't know of any other way and it seems like you don't either.....am I understanding all this correctly. I should buy an MHL 2.0 and see if I can output some 1080 video?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yeah I did mean 1080P, it should not be possible after the loss of the keys and it's the only HD or higher resolution you can output without the mhl3 connector. I myself would just wait for the phone to release globally and soon enough I'd get my answer rather than buying. But if ya gots to know...