Is there a better way? Purchasing apps on Shield.

Search This thread
Jun 18, 2014
I'm an app hoarder in a dilemma. I purchase many games and apps on my Galaxy s3, using the 'bill my carrier' option. However of course the Shield has no SIM slot, so I cannot do that. Nor does tethering with my mobile work as I had hoped, the shield treats it as a typical Wifi network.

What I end up having to do is purchase the app/game on my phone in the PlayStore, then through logging into the same account on my Shield, it then shows 'purchased' and I can download.

Further, for app/games with IAP's, I need to actually download the app on my s3, launch it, purchase, and hope it eventually sync's to my Shield.

One example would be The Walking Dead. A free title (for the first episode of the first season). I wanted to purchase the season pass so in addition to downloading the 1.37gb game on my Shield, I also had to download it k my s3. Launch the game. Purchase the season pass. 10 mins later it shows up as purchased on my Shield. Uninstall from s3. Oy dios mio.

As you can imagine this poses a problem, as many Shield games are not available on the s3. Also not all apps I see on the Play store on my s3, are supported on the shield. Infact I think I have two completely different PlayStores [while some apps show 'device not supported', others are just completely missing from the PlayStore].

How can I solve this monumental inconvenience? Please do not suggest piracy, I'm known to purchase apps solely to support indies. Unless it's a Whacktivision game, then post the apk immediately, pl0x.

Last edited:

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
I'm an app hoarder in a dilemma. I purchase many games and apps on my Galaxy s3, using the 'bill my carrier' option. However of course the Shield has no SIM slot, so I cannot do that. Nor does tethering with my mobile work as I had hoped, the shield treats it as a typical Wifi network.

What I end up having to do is purchase the app/game on my phone in the PlayStore, then through logging into the same account on my Shield, it then shows 'purchased' and I can download.

Further, for app/games with IAP's, I need to actually download the app on my s3, launch it, purchase, and hope it eventually sync's to my Shield.

One example would be The Walking Dead. A free title (for the first episode of the first season). I wanted to purchase the season pass so in addition to downloading the 1.37gb game on my Shield, I also had to download it k my s3. Launch the game. Purchase the season pass. 10 mins later it shows up as purchased on my Shield. Uninstall from s3. Oy dios mio.

As you can imagine this poses a problem, as many Shield games are not available on the s3. Also not all apps I see on the Play store on my s3, are supported on the shield. Infact I think I have two completely different PlayStores [while some apps show 'device not supported', others are just completely missing from the PlayStore].

How can I solve this monumental inconvenience? Please do not suggest piracy, I'm known to purchase apps solely to support indies. Unless it's a Whacktivision game, then post the apk immediately, pl0x.

Can't you just buy game through the Playstore on the Shield using your Google wallet account? I buy a few apps on my phone this way and it get billed to my bank through my check card.

I also buy gems and other currency for some games this same way.

Jun 18, 2014
Hey yeah I have all available payment optioms except 'bill my carrier'. I do have a creditcard which I can attach to my google wallet but choose not to, nor do I want to go buy Play cards.

This is what I want a workaround for - to bill my carrier via my Shield.

aarondr

Nov 5, 2010
Monumental inconvenience... hmm... you don't want to purchase Google Play cards, you don't want to use a credit card... Why are you so intent on carrier billing? You want your carrier to get more money (they get a pretty decent slice of each transaction you make)?

Sounds like you have someone who pays your phone bill and doesn't pay very close attention to the 'extra charges' section :silly:

I don't believe there is any way to accomplish what you are trying to do, as it would need to be a 'device' on the carrier's network for that feature to work. I'm unsure if a USB modem would enable the bill to carrier - but that device alone will cost a lot more than a bunch of apps.

Jun 18, 2014
Heh nice analysis, that's not the case at all. I'm not worried about my carrier making a slice, it doesn't cost me any sort of premium and I'm pretty sure the developers make the same.

Don't want to buy play cards as not only is there tax on them here in Canada, but a $2 app is actually $2.16. The idea of dead currency doesn't appeal to me. I pay my own bills, I require carrier billing for the reasons listed above.

Hopefully the Shield 2 comes with a sim slot, seems like a pretty lazy decision not to include one on an OS designed for mobile use. :rolleyes: