Aftermarket Chargers Causing Damage?

Search This thread

mail_e60

Nov 16, 2010
I am wondering if anyone has heard of aftermarket (non OEM) chargers causing damage to the Galaxy Tab. I bought a cheap car charger from China (via ebay), and it works but the charger heats up A LOT when it is plugged in.

My concern is the charger causing damage. Any thoughts?

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
I am wondering if anyone has heard of aftermarket (non OEM) chargers causing damage to the Galaxy Tab. I bought a cheap car charger from China (via ebay), and it works but the charger heats up A LOT when it is plugged in.

Ofcourse it can/will.

Do not buy anything cheap/electrical from ebay that comes from China. Even the SD cards are fake, ie branding aswell as size.

pw12f338c

May 7, 2011
Australia
Samsung Galaxy A53

As I know car charger about 12v output, our tab charging with 5v = normal usb can offer.
I think the device being heat up and for a period of time could cause damage, pls justify if I am wrong.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

Declan79

Mar 21, 2011
Padang
yes, some product (aftermarket) had a different power supply rather than oem one, it may potentially supply a different electric input to the device

Twister997

Jul 7, 2011
New York
You want to make sure that it has the same volt/amp output, but even if it does i'd be wary of it heating up too much

noguru

Nov 5, 2010
I don't think there's much risk to the Tab. The output of the various USB chargers (car, wall wart, etc.) is regulated at 5V, and they're usually rated at half an amp.

HOWEVER! The Samsung USB charger is rated to deliver 5V at TWO AMPS (mine is). Obviously, the Tab draws more than the half amp of a normal USB circuit. So, if you plug the Tab into a typical USB circuit, which was designed to deliver half an amp, something bad will happen - like an internal meltdown.

An inadequate charger might be damaged by heat due to excess current flow, but not the tablet.

But what do I know...?

hypa7ia

Aug 16, 2011
HOWEVER! The Samsung USB charger is rated to deliver 5V at TWO AMPS (mine is). Obviously, the Tab draws more than the half amp of a normal USB circuit. So, if you plug the Tab into a typical USB circuit, which was designed to deliver half an amp, something bad will happen - like an internal meltdown.

An inadequate charger might be damaged by heat due to excess current flow, but not the tablet.

But what do I know...?

The Samsung charger seems to refuse to power other devices, which is mildly annoying. There are plenty of USB devices which can handle more than 500mA, Blackberries for example, and generally speaking chargers won't offer more amperage than the device asks for.

And a lower-amp charger won't be damaged, as it simply won't be able to give more than the rated amperage. It'll just charge your Tab much more slowly :)

Declan79

Mar 21, 2011
Padang
Perhaps it could be considered
b4f1b483-cb4d-ea55.jpg

Has a same voltage(it said), using 4pcs AA battery, save us while far away from charging

sent from my 2.3.3|dxkg3 DJGalaxy S2

waltibaba

Oct 26, 2008
HTC Leo
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
I don't think there's much risk to the Tab. The output of the various USB chargers (car, wall wart, etc.) is regulated at 5V, and they're usually rated at half an amp.

But what do I know...?

A standard PC USB gives 5V at 500mA or 0.5A. Why would a car charger giving the same cause internal meltdown? If you plug the SGT into a PC with the data cable it doesn't suffer internal meltdown either... The SGT definitely has an internal charge controller and overcharge protector so there is really no danger. Unless its a cheap chinese product that either has power surges (unlikely) or incorrect voltage (or extreme current like 5A or so...). To be sure, check the outputs with a multimeter.

Perhaps it could be considered
b4f1b483-cb4d-ea55.jpg

Has a same voltage(it said), using 4pcs AA battery, save us while far away from charging

That is a TERRIBLE idea! I suggest you stop immediately! If you're unlucky you could really screw up electronic components in your tab. Unless I am missing something like voltage/current regulation in the battery adapter. Is there a pcb in the battery case or is it just wired directly to the usb? And have you ever actually done the math on the voltage? 1.5V x 4 = 6V or with rechargeables, 1.2 x 4 = 4.8V, not 5V!! Although a cell/battery alone usually won't mind that difference, you are sending electricity through complex electronics, not directly charging the battery. The Tab is expecting 5V exactly and stepping up/down the voltage accordingly (to 3.7 or 7.4V for the internal Li battery).

Tl;dr
@ noguru: check your outputs with a multimeter,
@ Declan79: I suggest you stop using that contraption at once! (for your own good)

neurocutie

Apr 3, 2007
Even it only using 4pcs aa battery?

If the output is not a stiff 5v, then I would not use it.
I am using a cheap ebay charger, but it does output a good 5v at 2amps. That is the only thing that really matters. It doesnt get too hot. If a charger gets too hot you can bet that it will not have a long life and you hope that when it dies it doesnt take your Gtab with it.