[NIGHTLY] UNOFFICIAL CM9/ICS For Droid 4 For MotoICS Leak

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Just installed the 3/18 daily and things are running great so far wifi connected smoothly and 4g started on its own. have not tried anything blue tooth yet but i will post when i get in my car later. Awsome work

Keep me updated if you can as to how the data is working. It probably won't come up all of the time automatically and you will need to toggle to GSM-ONLY and back to LTE to get it to work... but it should come up more often. And fight less when it doesn't come up. (It'll just stop retrying after 1-2 attempts instead of continuously cycle between GSM/LTE looking for service).

Reactions: liquidoc

dsmdan131

Feb 11, 2010
Keep me updated if you can as to how the data is working. It probably won't come up all of the time automatically and you will need to toggle to GSM-ONLY and back to LTE to get it to work... but it should come up more often. And fight less when it doesn't come up. (It'll just stop retrying after 1-2 attempts instead of continuously cycle between GSM/LTE looking for service).

so far i have rebooted 3-4 times and had no issues with 4g connecting on its own. Last night i did run into an issue where 4g said it was connected but email and all other network required apps were not connecting to the data service, Cycling the gsm/cdma lte did not resolve the issue and a reboot was required to resolve the issue. I am having the blue tooth issue which isn't that big of deal doesn't need to be on sucking up battery life when I am not using it anyway. I don't often use WiFi so any issues it may have i have not encountered.

liquidoc

Sep 1, 2008
I installed the 3/21 nightly today, after wiping completely.

Now I cannot connect to anything 3g or 4g...wifi connects, but it will NOT connect to any cell service.

I have tried switching between cdma/lte and gsm only, gsm only to cdma to cdma/lte, airplane mode (which resets it back to gsm only for some reason) then back to cdma/lte, rebooting, power off, power off with top button and volume down (simulates battery pull) numerous times, I was just overwriting the nightlies but after having an issue with the 3/19 build today not connecting at all after messing with it for over an hour, I decided to wipe clean and try it out.

When I first flashed the 3/21 build, it connected straight to 4g without me having to do any switching to gsm, now it just keeps cycling between a bar graph, and a bar graph with an R on it, no matter what I do the best I can get is for it to display the "3g" icon for a few seconds, but it never locks.

I love this rom, it makes this phone SCREAM, but I'll be darned if I can get anything but a flaky connection :(

I really don't want to go back to stock...it just felt SLOW compared to this, this is what this phone was meant to be, and everything works great besides this stinkin' issue with cell reception.

If it matters, I have 3-4 bars of 4g at my house from day 1 with this phone (that's where I'm testing) and I only started getting the issues with the 3/19 build once I went to an area with poor service, then it would never connect again besides when I went back to stock to call my wife and when I first flashed the 3/21 nightly.

***EDIT***

Finally got 4g to connect, but now it drops it out after a few minutes to 30 seconds of connecting, then keeps switching to the 'R' icon and back to 4g...connects, then loses it again.

***EDIT AGAIN***

4g connected like 2 hours ago after continuously playing with it, now it's locked and I'm afraid to touch anything in fear that it will lose it again and I'll throw my awesome phone into the wall in frustration.

I understand it's not the rom developer's fault, I wish motorola would release the source and unlock these stupid phones so we could get awesome rom support quicker, and less buggy, but dang this is annoying.

THANKS FOR THE ROM!!

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
You nailed the current issues that I'm researching in our data connection:
Anything less than perfect reception can be difficult to work with at the moment.

Sorry for the frustration -- its a work in progress.

Reactions: dsmdan131

liquidoc

Sep 1, 2008
I know you're working on it hash, I'm not frustrated with you, or those helping you, I'm frustrated that Motorola locked the phone and made it hard for you.

For now I went back to the stock rom, I need decently unflaky reception (seems even the stock rom has problems getting a data lock). I'll give the rom a shot every weekend or so until y'all say the data issues have been fixed.

The phone was slick **** on your rom, performed like how it SHOULD perform! Only issues were the ones you told me to expect, so no worries, I understand you're coding blind.

Thanks for the opportunity to check it out, otherwise I would've returned the phone by now, I am confident that you will get it licked and then ill have the perfect phone, it'll just take some time.

CreepyE

Oct 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
You nailed the current issues that I'm researching in our data connection:
Anything less than perfect reception can be difficult to work with at the moment.

Sorry for the frustration -- its a work in progress.

Hey I bet our frustration isn't sh*t compared to yours. You just keep doing the kick ass job your doing and well worry about pulling our hair out over data ourselves. Don't worry about us lol

Sent from my DROID4 on ICS

Reactions: dsmdan131

dsmdan131

Feb 11, 2010
agreed.....

Hey I bet our frustration isn't sh*t compared to yours. You just keep doing the kick ass job your doing and well worry about pulling our hair out over data ourselves. Don't worry about us lol

Sent from my DROID4 on ICS

as always thanks Hash... just wanted to give you a bit of an update..

So I flashed the 3/23 nightly over the 3/18 and started out ok normal connectivity flip to gsm then back and i was off and running. i did notice that after 24 or so hours i was having to restart my phone almost like it was just forgetting it was connected. I tried several times to just change back to GSM then to cdma/lte but this did not restore connectivity... not a game changer but was odd... normal bluetooth issue and that was it works great

decided since i had been having to reboot because my phone was forgetting it was connected to flash again today and installed the 3/25 update again over top without wiping.

upon boot 4g connected flawlessly, phone has been very steady today granted its only been 7-8hrs since i updated.

also on a side note, not sure if it was a fluke but from lunch i forgot to turn the BT back off when getting out of my car and did not lose audio when my wife called me. i will test this more and keep you posted.

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
So, I'm running... I've lost track... 3/23 I think, and I'm having the reported issues of course, wifi, 3/4g.... its very usable though! I have been running this rom solid (not feeling the need to switch back to stock) since 3/18 or so.

I'm also having this really odd media audio issue.

In the car, I stream music through the headphone out on my phone. I also generally have the phone powered by a cig. Lighter power adapter. The adapter is sort of cheap, so sometimes it loses its power, and I need to wiggle it around in the cig. Lighter socket.

The problem is, on cm9, this loss of power breaks audio... ill be streaming, power will cut out, and the phone switches to its internal speaker! Fix the power, and it mutes... or switches to some channel I'm not able to listen to maybe...

To fix it, reboot the phone, or unplug the power adapter from the phones micro usb port.

Weird, right? Has anyone else seen this?

Sent from my XT894 using XDA

problematic

Jan 11, 2011
I have been on 3-25 for about a week now and I haven't seen the phone do the perma-lock into roaming that I've seen with other builds. I have had to restart the phone and switch toggles and network types still though. Will you be able to use anything from the coming Razr ICS release to fix any of the current bugs?

CreepyE

Oct 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I have been on 3-25 for about a week now and I haven't seen the phone do the perma-lock into roaming that I've seen with other builds. I have had to restart the phone and switch toggles and network types still though. Will you be able to use anything from the coming Razr ICS release to fix any of the current bugs?

Also wondering this. Any chance the updates radio will help fix our data issues?

Sent from my ICS flavored DROID4

Coriolis3ffect

Aug 12, 2010
I couldn't bare to wait anymore so I caved in and flashed... runs almost perfectly and the hiccups aren't much of an issue. Nice job...

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

topxshelfxtre

Oct 30, 2010
Christiansburg,Va
Rom is running smooth from what I can see. Data issues are the only thing I can tell affect me but not a ton cause I'm near wifi a lot. Does anyone know a way to get smart actions on here or is it not ICS compatible yet?

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Didn't see this change log in the OP so for those who care here ya go.

http://rombot.droidhive.com/ROMs/ChangeLog-CM9.html

My wishlist,
flash
chrome browser,
video recording,
data issues fixed.
Make the fm radio work
Anyone got a different wishlist?

Love the work guys not whining at all. :)
Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

Hello,

Glad you'ree enjoying the ROM!

- The TOP 3 would be addressed once Moto leaks an ICS update for the D4 (like they did for the RAZR).
- Data issues are being looked at (I know .. they're annoying)
- FM Radio is tricky, I'll probably have to backport the Moto FM app. They didn't use the stock TI radio setup.

Other requests which are being looked at:
- HDMI support
- Ubuntu top (would need HDMI support)

Reactions: kwyrt

topxshelfxtre

Oct 30, 2010
Christiansburg,Va
Well my data has gotten better through the day actually it was weird this morning but it held data all day. I just need to do some looking at the battery I'm only getting 8 hours. I'm going to try juice defender tomorrow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FLASHING ROMS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND COULD POTENTIALLY DAMAGE YOUR PHONE -- WHILE I MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT NOT TO LET THIS HAPPEN, IT'S STILL A RISK THAT YOU'RE TAKING. IF SOMETHING BAD SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOUR PHONE, PLEASE DON'T BLAME ME -- HENCE THIS WARNING.

This isn't so much a ROM announcement as it is a direction to find the unofficial nightly builds of CM9 for the Droid 4 (based on Motorola ICS leaks)

Download Here from ROMbot

Download GApps Here (04/29 Goo-Inside GApps Link).
    FLASH THE GAPPS.ZIP FILE AFTER YOU FLASH THE ICS.ZIP

WHAT do I need to run this ROM?
    - Rooted
    - Running a Motorola ICS leak (.206, .208, .211, etc)
    - I recommend that you run Safestrap v2.00 to install this. Here's how to use Safestrap
    And you can download Safestrap for the Droid 4 (v2.x for ICS-leak users) here:
    Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes

WHAT can I expect to work right now?
    - 4G and basic phone function
    - All sensors
    - Camera, Panorama and Face-unlock
    - Video Recording
    - HD YouTube
    - Netflix

Current Known Issues?
    - Data connection is a work in progress. It's MUCH better than it used to be in the old ICS builds, however there is always room for improvement. Due to the "global" data connection style of stock Motorola ICS, this problem will probably continue to be worked on. Feedback is always appreciated, but if you see it posted already then there's a good chance I know about specific issues.
    - Currently, there is a bug in the rotation display of the phone. What I mean is, that when you take the phone and rotate it, the display will squeeze in on itself and then pop back out. This is a *known* issue and I'm working very hard to fix it.
    - The CM9 built-in Wifi Tether won't work. You need to use the "Wifi Tether" app that's bundled into the ROM. Once you open it, hit [menu] and "Settings". Select "Change Device-Profile" to "Generic ICS".
    - I'm sure there's more, I'll update this list here in a bit.

WHO works on this?
    Myself and @DHacker29 work as a team to build AOSP-based ROMs (and device setups) for several Motorola phones. Typically, I do the coding work in C, C++ or Java while DHacker maintains the blobs, runs merges with CM/AOKP sources, and solves device issues which require less coding.

WHAT is a "nightly"?
    It's an automated build ran from a script. It basically: deletes the current set of output files, sync's with github, and then attempts to do a brand new build. It can break at times, in which case we'll fix it (usually this happens when there are framework changes which didn't get merged).

WHY would I want this?
    - Since we work on several devices, this is how we decided to start keeping builds up-to-date. Rather than spend several hours a week on builds and uploading. This happens automatically every night around 2am PST.
    - It's up to you the community to identify good "stable" builds.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter as I do sometimes make announcements there before I do forum postings:
    Hashcode (@Hashcode0f) on Twitter

We maintain all of our code at github:
    https://github.com/o...ns/STS-Dev-Team

Screenshots:
    [ COMING SOON ]
    Reserved for future use
    Well I can assist in your issue.

I too was skeptical at first about safestrap but its pretty self explanatory.
    You have the concept down that it backs up your original system 1 and creates a system 2 to then be altered and flashed without touching system 1.

I had the Droid X and that had a locked bootloader as well.
    From my research a locked bootloader just denies the "lowest" level of access to the phone which includes flashing radios and kernels.

Other than that, Yes you can install D4 Safestrap which acts just as CWM Recovery in order to flash this Rom and or others.

Remember when flashing to ENABLE safestrap before you flash and always backup, wipe data, cache, and dalvik

Hope that helps explain some of it to you.

I have ICS this beta running on my D4 like a champ
    Just tried installing using safestrap and bootlooped. Had to hard reboot to get back to safestrap recovery and back in to stock ROM. Anyone else tried this yet? Might try again tonight when I get home and let the battery charge up a bit.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA
    I was able to get it installed and working just fine under safestrap. Did you wipe data, cache, and dalvick?
    I was able to get it installed and working just fine under safestrap. Did you wipe data, cache, and dalvick?

That was it. First time I've used safestrap. I figured since I did not have a previous ROM installed in Safemode that I did not need to wipe. Went back in, wiped data and cache and now I am in business. Looking good Hash!

One question though, I tried to wipe dalvik and it said it could not find sd-ext. Any idea what that is about?

Edit: Feels so good to be flashing ROMs again!!!