Lock screen Not Changing from Swipe

Search This thread

skola28

Oct 10, 2007
Rowlett, TX
In order to sync with my work account, I need to have my Lock Screen enabled with either a pin or a password (NOT swipe).

Whenever I select PIN, it asks me to input the pin and confirm, which I do - but when the screen exits it still has Swipe as the selected Screen Lock setting. Same happens when I try to set a Password.

I tried to boot into Safe Mode (hold vol dn while booting) and that had the same results. I tried rebooting a couple times, no dice.

Has anyone else had issues setting a Screen Lock!?

Additional Info:
I recently upgraded to NC5 with Root via Surge1223's method with a MK2 bootloader from the link below.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726868

skola28

Oct 10, 2007
Rowlett, TX
Additionally, I tried removing my work Google account completely, and uninstalling the Google Apps Device Policy application. When I go back to Settings>Lock Screen>Screen Lock: The only selectable options are PIN and PASSWORD - which is what I would expect if my device policies were still activated. The other options like Face Unlock and Pattern are all greyed out with the phrase "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage.

Ugg. This sucks! My next option I guess, unless someone knows of a work-around, would be to completely reflash the phone again. Just annoying.

skola28

Oct 10, 2007
Rowlett, TX
Ugg. This sucks! My next option I guess, unless someone knows of a work-around, would be to completely reflash the phone again. Just annoying.

So I went ahead and Factory Reset and Flashed the NC5/SU/Update-through-odin again.

And the options are still greyed out!

I'm thinking something is left over from the first time I encrypted my phone before I originally flashed the referenced updates the first time.

Can someone help me completely reformat all of my partitions? How can I completely get rid of any residual encryption?

skola28

Oct 10, 2007
Rowlett, TX
Found some details saying that the wipe within Safestrap/TWRP doesn't always work correctly.

*Booted into Samsung Recovery (stock version)
*Wiped Factory Reset
*Wiped Data
*Wiped Cache
*Attempted to install the NC5 update through Stock Recovery - got errors saying the footer was wrong plus some extra stuff, but the phone reset.
*Quickly held the buttons to get into Download mode (was worried about losing root)
*Attempted to boot into Safestrap recovery but went into normal boot (didn't get the option)
*Phone boots but Pin/Password are still the only options (and won't engage either; Swipe always stays engaged)
*SuperSU still installed (???) If I did a full wipe, and never reinstalled, how is that possible?

skola28

Oct 10, 2007
Rowlett, TX
A helpful XDA user pointed me towards this:

=====================================
Change the following in build.prop found in system folder using a root explorer app. Es file doesnt seem to work so try another.
security.mdpp=none

To

#security.mdpp=none
================================

This fixed my inability to get the pin/password to be selectable (and allowed selection of all other options as well)
However, whenever I select device encryption again, I simply get a big green Android encryption screen, and the phone goes black, then resets.