What people like about cyanogenmod?

Search This thread

dackle

May 25, 2011
hello,
i am just a system administrator at the xUSSR and have experience with building linux/*nix machines/environments/fixing software/sources/debugging it and etc.
i'v got my exynos note3 last weekend and was thinking about custom firmware. there is no real alternative for users except modification of samsung firmwares right now. easy alternative.
we actually can get (partially port/adapt) everything we want from cyanogenmod and make it feel like real cyanogenmod while sitting on firmware that based on samsung one. why noone done/tryed to do that before?
what exactly you want from cyanogenmod on note3?
i liked cyanogenmod for keeping it clean and giving user vanilla experience, ota updates and keeping awesome features that android drop like app permission manager that was dropped in 4.4 in favor of google-play policy.

CROrION

Nov 10, 2010
Only reason i'm not using cm is becouse of no TW camera :/

Everything else is better on cm: simple, stock apps, themes, no bloat, etc..

sobhan06

May 31, 2011
Chennai
Everyone is waiting for vanilla version or CM 11 for exynos device. nobody has succeeded yet. But something is happening now. We like all the features in CM. So we are waiting for one.

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

dhruva7

Apr 11, 2012
CM can never be alternative of stock galaxy note 3 rom. I need pen function to work with but CM does not support. Also camera application of cm is not user friendly,

HanZie82

I love Cyanogenmod, have used it for 2 years on my previous phone.
But like @dhruva7 said. I want a perfectly working camare and pen thingy.
Everything just has to work. I don't think anyone bought this phone just for it's browser.

So if theres S-pen functionality and a descent camera application that does 13mp photo's and still can film in 4k and slomo, I'm in! :victory:

DonPhelippe

Nov 8, 2011
Athens
from the OP: "i liked cyanogenmod for keeping it clean and giving user vanilla experience, ota updates and keeping awesome features that android drop"

Also: fast as hell, less memory clutter, the phone is snappier, everything feels better plus you get all the Google uniform interface design instead of T/W's crap where every program looks like it was designed from a different class of kindergarden children.

sirobelec

Feb 20, 2014
The folks above said it all.

Pros of CM:
- with the monster of a processor with 4 cores running @ 2.3 gHz (in your Exynos case, 4 @ 1,9 gHz and 4 @ 1,3 gHz), s**tload of RAM and so on, the CM is "fast as hell", which is an understatement. On any TouchWiz based ROM the usable limit is 2740 MB, and on boot around 1-1,2 GB are already busy with Samsung's bloat. On CM the max is 2840, and on boot the already busy memory is not a lot, I've managed to cut it down to around 600 MB, which leaves... 2.2 GB free.
- with CM, you're always with the latest possible base of Android.
- with CM, you get circa 26 GB of free storage, TW ROMs give you 22 max.
Long story short, if you intend to use the Note for some awfully heavy duty processing and you want to eke out every shred of resources it has, CM (or for that matter, any AOSP based ROM) is the way to go.

Cons of CM:
- it takes many nightly updates before you get a good really stable version, you have no idea what bugs might be within a nightly.
- the Note is named that way for a reason. xD That thing has a Wacom digitizer which allows the use of that nifty S-Pen and it's abilities, also, I shamefully must admit, it's fun as hell to use. :D However, Samsung are being businessmen in this regard, some might go as far as calling them d**ks, because the SDK for that pen is not open source, therefore, devs are not able to put software for it into any AOSP ROM.
- yes, the Camera. Samsung's camera app also is not open source, and you take noticeably better photos with it than with the AOSP camera.

Summary: being a sysadmin, you're able to control your server with an Android device, I'm not sure if that is loading the phone a lot or not, but if it does, and you use that Note for processing more than casual use (photos, doodling and drawing, etc.), CM is what you probably need.
Otherwise, TW based ROM would be better.

P.S. The best phone for heavy duty processing right now would be the OnePlus One, it has the Note's 3 gigs of ram, 4 cores running at 2,5 gHz, and CM is it's STOCK firmware. :D