[Q] Kindle Fire 8.9 Stuck on static boot screen.

Search This thread
Feb 11, 2014
Hello,
I have recently attempted to install the 2nd bootloader, TWRP, and CM-10.2 mods on my Kindle FIre HD 8.9 and ended up with a bootlooping brick. Being as inexperienced as I am, I took the risky road and did not back up my device before attempting this... Lesson learned (Spent days on this problem when a back up takes minutes...) Currently, I can access fastboot and flash files but nomatter what I end up with a similar result of a static boot screen (Orange). I have tried KFHD System.img Restore Tool (Here) many times on different machines. I have tried KFFirstAide and it refuses to let me download from the server and thus aborts re-flashing the kindle. I have tried manually flashing 8.1.4 system, boot, and recovery images again with no results (As well as cleared the cache and userdata each time). I have downgraded the bootloader to 8.1.4 using the file given in Hashcode's Guide to install TWRP (Here). I have flashed these files from a Windows, a Mac, and now a Linux PC. Currently the Kindle is staring at me with a Kindle Fire Orange static boot logo. It is recognized by a computer for about 1-2 seconds after I first hit the power switch(I can catch it in fastboot here). Then it disappears and sits idly at the boot logo. Sometimes it reboots and then repeats the process, sometimes it just stays this way until I turn it off via hard reset.

I check the MD5 sums on each of the files and none of them have been corrupted while downloading. So now after looking through every forum I can bear, I come here. Am I missing something simple? Or is my device a devil spawn that refuses to return to stock images?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hmm, off flashing from fastboot should typically work, since you were attempting to flash cm 10.2 I have to ask something because I am slightly uncertain of this myself, but did you ever get twrp running at one point before all this happened, and second if so did you ever wipe any of the partitions or try to flash the ROM?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Feb 11, 2014
Unfortunately no. I was never able to get into TWRP as the blue logo has never appeared. Directly after my first attempt at this I rebooted and got the red screen or wall of fire. I "fixed" that by reflashing stock boot, bootloader, recovery, and system image partitions to 8.1.4. Yet instead of a working device I now have either a boot loop or a fixed orange logo. I have gotten the device into stock recovery once (haven't been able to reproduce this result) but it shutdown while the process was underway(About half way??). I have also gotten the device to boot into a animated logo that then proceeded to a data corruption screen, but before I could even read the entire message the device shut off and began another set of boot loops. It looked like a amazon stock os prompt screen. Before this even began I had a normal Kindle fire that I had rooted. I forget what software version it was on before all of this unfortunately.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Sounds like the system image is slightly corrupted or something if the os had that kind of error about data corruption but you said the md5's march so that is weird. You try reflashing the boot partition again since reflashing system didn't work? This is frustrating, mainly because with out adb access from a decent recovery I have no Linux commands to work with, if worst comes to worst I think there's a way to reform at the system partition from fastboot but I wouldn't go for that just yet, I don't know the command offhand but if you did the wrong one I think there's a way it would clear all data on all partitions which would be very very bad. I'll ask hashcode what he thinks cause this is weird.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Reactions: Thinkwithportals
Feb 11, 2014
I have tried flashing all partitions before. Will try again soon. Also, I have another piece of information as well even if it isn't relevant. I originally bricked my Kindle at first, flashed the wrong bootloader. So I bought a for-parts Kindle (Same model) that had a busted screen and took out its motherboard and placed it into my device. Then I rooted the stock os on the new MB and the rest of the story is already in this thread. It still charges and fastboots but nothing other than a static orange boot screen so far. Thank you for helping me out on this; really hope that this can be fixed.

jasero12

Mar 18, 2013
Hello,
I have recently attempted to install the 2nd bootloader, TWRP, and CM-10.2 mods on my Kindle FIre HD 8.9 and ended up with a bootlooping brick. Being as inexperienced as I am, I took the risky road and did not back up my device before attempting this... Lesson learned (Spent days on this problem when a back up takes minutes...) Currently, I can access fastboot and flash files but nomatter what I end up with a similar result of a static boot screen (Orange). I have tried KFHD System.img Restore Tool (Here) many times on different machines. I have tried KFFirstAide and it refuses to let me download from the server and thus aborts re-flashing the kindle. I have tried manually flashing 8.1.4 system, boot, and recovery images again with no results (As well as cleared the cache and userdata each time). I have downgraded the bootloader to 8.1.4 using the file given in Hashcode's Guide to install TWRP (Here). I have flashed these files from a Windows, a Mac, and now a Linux PC. Currently the Kindle is staring at me with a Kindle Fire Orange static boot logo. It is recognized by a computer for about 1-2 seconds after I first hit the power switch(I can catch it in fastboot here). Then it disappears and sits idly at the boot logo. Sometimes it reboots and then repeats the process, sometimes it just stays this way until I turn it off via hard reset.

I check the MD5 sums on each of the files and none of them have been corrupted while downloading. So now after looking through every forum I can bear, I come here. Am I missing something simple? Or is my device a devil spawn that refuses to return to stock images?

"I have recently attempted to install the 2nd bootloader, TWRP, and CM-10.2 mods on my Kindle FIre HD 8.9 and ended up with a bootlooping brick."

I have the same problem but when I try fastboot mode the computer wont even find the device

Feb 11, 2014
Alrighty, well. I woke up this morning and decided to re download all of the system, boot, and recovery image files. I flashed them to the device and it again boot-looped for about an hour. I set it up next to me and started reading through the forums for repair via soldering eMMC to SD card reader. I look down and what is starting back at me? A fully working Kindle waiting in initial setup for input... Yet within about a minute it is back into the old boot looping game again. Hardware problem? A short maybe???

Feb 11, 2014
Hm, well I think I might just give up on this MB then. I am considering looking into my hard-bricked motherboard and using Kurohyou's pin-out. Even if my soldering skills are a bit rusty.

Thank you anyway for your help. I will report my progress in the other thread from here on out.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Careful not to melt the contact pads, I just ruined one of my Xbox 360 controllers today unsoldering a trigger, cheap parts.... Long story short controller falls in dogs water bowl, circuit board goes in rice, rice gets stuck under a trigger, I ruin controller unsoldering trigger... Least I have 4 more. But anyways yea careful, I suggest at least an st7 tip and not to let it get to hot, read someone else managed to melt a contact on a kf2 I think it was.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sounds like the system image is slightly corrupted or something if the os had that kind of error about data corruption but you said the md5's march so that is weird. You try reflashing the boot partition again since reflashing system didn't work? This is frustrating, mainly because with out adb access from a decent recovery I have no Linux commands to work with, if worst comes to worst I think there's a way to reform at the system partition from fastboot but I wouldn't go for that just yet, I don't know the command offhand but if you did the wrong one I think there's a way it would clear all data on all partitions which would be very very bad. I'll ask hashcode what he thinks cause this is weird.

possibly or maybe it has a bad emmc chip.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda app-developers app