Strange issue on 4.4 cm11

Search This thread

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
For some reason I can't access Google.com unless using Google chrome. I've tried multiple browsers as well as the built in browser and many different data sources (3g+4g+WiFi) and still I get web page is unavailable. I can get through if I hit refresh repeatedly. My desktops have no issue accessing google . this is the first time I've had an issue like this and I can't figure it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
For some reason I can't access Google.com unless using Google chrome. I've tried multiple browsers as well as the built in browser and many different data sources (3g+4g+WiFi) and still I get web page is unavailable. I can get through if I hit refresh repeatedly. My desktops have no issue accessing google . this is the first time I've had an issue like this and I can't figure it out.

Did you dirty flash or clean? Clear the cache and galvik and try it again. Also, check if you can access it with a IP instead of domain... this could mean a DNS issue. http://74.125.21.101/

Ultimately, I'd post this in the CM11 thread to see if anyone else had the issue, though I don't recall seeing it in that thread.

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
Clean flash and the IP seems to work much better but if I click images it says unavailable.
I've also tried a DNS changer and tried Google DNS as well as other well know DNS services and nothing resolves the issue.
I didn't post in cm thread because I'm not sure if its a common system file that could be corrupt or what's going on and I also didn't see anyone with this issue.

Thank you for the help.

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
Clean flash and the IP seems to work much better but if I click images it says unavailable.
I've also tried a DNS changer and tried Google DNS as well as other well know DNS services and nothing resolves the issue.
I didn't post in cm thread because I'm not sure if its a common system file that could be corrupt or what's going on and I also didn't see anyone with this issue.

Thank you for the help.

The images probably don't work because they will direct you to google.com/images/blahblah instead of 74.125.21.101/images/blahblah, what GApps did you flash? It sounds like maybe the Chrome is bad. Does it happen on any other site at all?

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
Yeah i know as soon as I click the links it uses the domain instead of IP. I flashed the gapps from cm.

Google chrome is the only browser I don't have this issue on. The default android browser and any other browsers cannot connect to google I've tried uninstalling them and uninstalling chrome and it makes no difference.

I would just use chrome but its fairly slow on my RAZR-M compared to some other browsers available.

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
Webpage not available

The webpage athttps://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-home*could not be loaded because:

net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This is the error from built in android browser.

xKroniK13x

May 15, 2014
Atlanta, GA
www.coreymccown.com
Webpage not available

The webpage athttps://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-home*could not be loaded because:

net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This is the error from built in android browser.

Empty response almost always means DNS issues in my experiences... see if the browser you are using has DNS settings built in to the settings area. Change the primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4. Also make sure that no sort of apps would be blocking those browsers from having the permissions they need.

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
Every other website works like yahoo so idk if it would be a permission issue. And I looked and didn't see any settings in browser. I used a root DNS changer to change the DNS to googles like you said but still same response. This is very weird I've never had this issue before and it doesn't matter if I'm WiFi or 3g-4g.

carb0nrain

Aug 11, 2013
Dolphin

I just tried it with Dolphin Browser and it seems to work normally for me. I had the same issue with the stock browser.

azatheadfi

Oct 8, 2013
same issue

I experience same issue. The problem isn't with stock browser. Gmail app has issues with showing mail content if there are images. Usually images won't load or part of them will be loaded.

I have tried everything else to solve it. I can say for sure that the problem isn't with browser.apk. Also there is no problem with SSL as other sites work fine. I think that the problem is with webviewchromium frameworks or libs. Chrome browser uses its own libs, so no problems with Chrome. But any app using webviewchromium will fail to load content from google sites.

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
Is there any way to maybe copy the lib from previous build? I know 0 about dev. but I've updated to a new snapshot and still get same exact issue its frustrating not being able to use Google or see images.

azatheadfi

Oct 8, 2013
Is there any way to maybe copy the lib from previous build? I know 0 about dev. but I've updated to a new snapshot and still get same exact issue its frustrating not being able to use Google or see images.

I have already tried to copy libs and frameworks from M7 to latest builds, but no success. :(

aliasmk

Aug 19, 2014
I'm also having this issue and was wondering if anyone had found a solution to this problem yet.

HTC One X (evita) CM11

Edit: I am able to use the Google Search app. In addition, StartPage.com (which uses google results) also works. If you really need Google and don't want to install dolphin that should work.
That said it doesnt totally fix the problem, as any google domain sites don't work.

Last edited: