[Q] broken screen, absolutely broken.. s-off to s-on

Search This thread

mfungah

Mar 26, 2011
My friend has give me his vzw m8 with a cracked and non working screen (lcd is too, broken, no display whatsoever) to stock up to return.

However, he needs to have s-on. I have just flashed the 0P6BIMG ruu via fastboot. I'm having difficulty understanding how to finish up the phone. From what I can tell from reading, it's still S-OFF after flashing this ruu. What else should i know for returning the phone?

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
My friend has give me his vzw m8 with a cracked and non working screen (lcd is too, broken, no display whatsoever) to stock up to return.

However, he needs to have s-on. I have just flashed the 0P6BIMG ruu via fastboot. I'm having difficulty understanding how to finish up the phone. From what I can tell from reading, it's still S-OFF after flashing this ruu. What else should i know for returning the phone?

as suggested in the above post, in the thread it explains, that after you flash the RUU,
You must first RE lock the bootloader
this is done by this method:
adb devices
adb shell
su (if needed to get a # prompt)
echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796
(i would very strongly recommend you copy/paste this)

exit
(exit a second time if you need to to get back to a normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

verify you are now locked (if you can still see on the screen?)

Then you may do "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" to put S-ON

mfungah

Mar 26, 2011
as suggested in the above post, in the thread it explains, that after you flash the RUU,
adb devices
adb shell

So at the moment I need to figure out how to obtain su, at least shell then. Seeing as I just flashed the ruu and the LCD is completely black/blank, do you have any suggestions?
And thank you very much for the detailed reply step by step.

mfungah

Mar 26, 2011
Also, it's probably helpful to mention that I am still in fastboot mode from flashing the RUU.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Also, it's probably helpful to mention that I am still in fastboot mode from flashing the RUU.

if the RUU took as successful then you should reboot it to the new RUU ROM (should take about 5 mins, since you can't see.. plug cable into computer and once you can access SD-Card you are booted, you should be able to then get an su in a cmd prompt. from what I've read the RUU has supersu icon so it should have root? not positive but doing this will absolutely not hurt, you would only not be able to get SU privs to turn the flag back to S-ON. if you get su, great you should then be good to go. :)

I don't know but you may even be able to do fastboot devices then echo, BUT do NOT try that yet anyway as I don't know what will happen, if you do it, it's at own risk.. since going back for refurb, i don't really think a brick would matter though.

Reactions: mfungah

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
if the RUU took as successful then you should reboot it to the new RUU ROM (should take about 5 mins, since you can't see.. plug cable into computer and once you can access SD-Card you are booted, you should be able to then get an su in a cmd prompt. from what I've read the RUU has supersu icon so it should have root? not positive but doing this will absolutely not hurt, you would only not be able to get SU privs to turn the flag back to S-ON. if you get su, great you should then be good to go. :)

I don't know but you may even be able to do fastboot devices then echo, BUT do NOT try that yet anyway as I don't know what will happen, if you do it, it's at own risk.. since going back for refurb, i don't really think a brick would matter though.

That's correct andy....The ruu I made does have su. I'm not sure how he would be able to answer the su prompts for adb access though. Maybe hdmi out?

For what it's worth this device is pretty hard to truly brick. I tried once to help brick one and even with bootloader wiped it still went straight to ruu mode.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

mfungah

Mar 26, 2011
I suppose that adb debugging isn't enabled by default, I'm booted up but that's about it. Any specific information that could be helpful or as I'm assuming, theres nothing much i can do except fastboot to S-ON. I mean it is getting sent in, I just really hope it gets accepted.

mfungah

Mar 26, 2011
He got a new device for him all sorted out. I really appreciate your time and help, I did find your step by step very easy to understand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb devices
    adb shell

exit
    (exit a second time if you need to to get back to a normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

verify you are now locked (if you can still see on the screen?)

Then you may do "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" to put S-ON

That's correct andy....The ruu I made does have su. I'm not sure how he would be able to answer the su prompts for adb access though. Maybe hdmi out?

For what it's worth this device is pretty hard to truly brick. I tried once to help brick one and even with bootloader wiped it still went straight to ruu mode.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk