[MOD] Fix Protected Apps not Showing on FroYo

Search This thread

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
This is just a simple build.prop mod to fix the fingerprint back to the working ERE27 one used in CM. Everything in Settings still shows FroYo, but the Market sees you as ERE27 & thus gives you your protected apps back :)

To install run this from the directory you unzip the file to:

ADB Method:

Code:
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/build.prop
adb push froyo.prop /system/build.prop
adb shell reboot

Then, once it reboots, go into the dialer, and type
Code:
*#*#CHECKIN#*#*
which is
Code:
*#*#2432546#*#*
for those of you who are too lazy to read the letters ;)

A message should pop up into the status bar after a few seconds depending on your connection speed saying checkin succeeded.

Now you're good to go, open Market and download away :cool:

EDIT: Since I know some of you will wonder what this does, it just changes the ro.build.fingerprint & ro.build.description settings back to ERE27. This alone would normally be enough, but you're depending on luck to when you next check in. Dialing that code in the Dialer will force a checkin.

EDIT 2: Thanks to Shafty023 here is a method for the shell:

LINUX SHELL METHOD

Copy froyo.zip to /sdcard, then open a Terminal shell on your phone

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system
mv build.prop new.build.prop
unzip /sdcard/froyo.zip
mv froyo.prop build.prop
rm /sdcard/froyo.zip
reboot

Upon booting back up, open Dialer and type in the following code

Code:
*#*#2432546#*#*

Once you see a notification in the notification bar that says checkin succeeded you can now open Market and are done.

Attachments

• froyo.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 7,181
Last edited:

Part Four

Feb 10, 2010
Grrr... adb has been broken for me for months. Any way to fix this without adb?

bluehaze

May 28, 2007
So what happens when apps start getting udated to take advantage of JIT? If you have ERE27 signature do you get the JIT'less version of the apps? I know Replica Island is coming with a JIT version. I'm afraid to mess with anything right now, rather be patient and give it a few days.

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
So what happens when apps start getting udated to take advantage of JIT? If you have ERE27 signature do you get the JIT'less version of the apps? I know Replica Island is coming with a JIT version. I'm afraid to mess with anything right now, rather be patient and give it a few days.

Apps don't have to be updated to take advantage of JIT at all. They can be optimized but they can be optimized without JIT too. There are no different versions. JIT just converts the Java/Dalvik code into native code at app launch, instead of running it through the slower virtual machine. Its like C++ vs Java on a desktop, the native code (C++) is much faster when executed.

The only thing this will lead to is when apps start showing up in the Market as 2.2+ only, but by that point Google will have updated the market to recognize the new footprint.

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
Can someone give an example of a "Protected" app? If its worth anything, im assuming its paid apps. If so, i can see them without a modded build.prop.

Mi|enko

Jul 15, 2006
Can someone give an example of a "Protected" app? If its worth anything, im assuming its paid apps. If so, i can see them without a modded build.prop.

I think Twidroid Pro is protected.

What I'm wondering is, if somebody swaps out the build prop but hasn't installed flash yet, would this block them from doing so?

mgorman

Aug 18, 2009
Ypsilanti

Pure calender widget (agenda) is a protected app taht doesnt show up in the 2.2 market

Edit: Works perfect! Thanks.

If you are having problems with the checkin, make sure your on 3g and not WiFi.

Last edited:

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
I think Twidroid Pro is protected.

What I'm wondering is, if somebody swaps out the build prop but hasn't installed flash yet, would this block them from doing so?

Nope, Flash still shows up in the Market top apps for me, but I already have it installed. Technically it probably should show up only on the 2.2 Market, but Google may not be able to filter that yet since they haven't enabled the 2.2 fingerprint yet. Just theories here, don't take anything I say too seriously

Also, a perfect example of protected apps is all the Gameloft apps. Search the Market for Gameloft. They won't show up on 2.2 without this, I tried multiple times

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
Nope, Flash still shows up in the Market top apps for me, but I already have it installed. Technically it probably should show up only on the 2.2 Market, but Google may not be able to filter that yet since they haven't enabled the 2.2 fingerprint yet. Just theories here, don't take anything I say too seriously

Also, a perfect example of protected apps is all the Gameloft apps. Search the Market for Gameloft. They won't show up on 2.2 without this, I tried multiple times
Yea, im not getting any of the GameLoft games.