[Dual-Boot SDCard | CM7.2 Source | Guides | Recovery | Stock 1.4.2 ]

Search This thread

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
OK forgive if this is has been answered or if I am misunderstanding. I thought the CM9 rom was currently internal only? Would that preclude you from dual booting. If it overwrites the internal files.

Thanks,
Jason

- Boot CM7/CM9 from sdcard with fattire's cyanoboot

Cyanoboot allow you to boot into as many rom as you want from sdcard, as long as you know how to modify and compiled it. I've modified cm9 boot.img/updater-script so that you can use it with existent cm9 rom and boot it from sdcard. Thus, you can have an sdcard that can dual boot cm7 and cm9 or even quintuple boot from sdcard. It's easier to test kernel/rom from a bootable sdcard.

Reactions: JKShack

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I have not been able to create a bootable dual-boot CM9/CM7 card, but succeeded in creating a bootable CM9-only card.

However I noticed that only /sdcard is showed in ES File Explorer. Is there a way to see/access the NT internal storage?

Thanks.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I had trouble getting succulents dual boot setup to boot at all. I finally got it to work by burning celticwebsolutions cm7 image to SD. It would boot to SD from the power button perfectly. Then I used minitool partition manager to delete all the partitions except the first. Then I expanded that first partition much larger to be the sdcard. Then I created the other 4 partitions per succulents instructions. I removed all but MLO and u-boot.bin from the first partition and put succulents other files there (flashing _boot, boot, altboot, recovery, etc.) It worked perfectly. Booted from the power button into cyanoboot so that I could boot into CWM to flash the modded roms and gapps. Now I have stock rooted 1.4.2 on emmc and cm7/cm9 on SD. And I use Cyanoboot to determine which boot to.

Also I found that it would not boot to SD unless the unit was completely powered off first. Someone on another thread suggested getting NookColor Power Button widget by Otis8 (99¢). It works perfectly on the Nook Tablet. Now it is very easy to quickly power off to boot to another ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: DemonicPhantasm

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I had trouble getting succulents dual boot setup to boot at all. I finally got it to work by burning celticwebsolutions cm7 image to SD. It would boot to SD from the power button perfectly. Then I used minitool partition manager to delete all the partitions except the first. Then I expanded that first partition much larger to be the sdcard. Then I created the other 4 partitions per succulents instructions. I removed all but MLO and u-boot.bin from the first partition and put succulents other files there (flashing _boot, boot, altboot, recovery, etc.) It worked perfectly. Booted from the power button into cyanoboot so that I could boot into CWM to flash the modded roms and gapps. Now I have stock rooted 1.4.2 on emmc and cm7/cm9 on SD. And I use Cyanoboot to determine which boot to.

Also I found that it would not boot to SD unless the unit was completely powered off first. Someone on another thread suggested getting NookColor Power Button widget by Otis8 (99¢). It works perfectly on the Nook Tablet. Now it is very easy to quickly power off to boot to another ROM.
I tried this method and still have not been able to create a bootable SD card. The CM7SD card would boot just fine, but it seems that making changes to the partitions on the card cause somehow rendered it unbootable.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoNelson

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I tried this method and still have not been able to create a bootable SD card. The CM7SD card would boot just fine, but it seems that making changes to the partitions on the card cause somehow rendered it unbootable.
Actually, I did it a little differently than I described. I put the cyanoboot (flashing_boot.img) on first to replace the one that came from team B. Then I booted to be sure that worked. It did, and I used cyanoboot to boot to cm7 since the partitions for Team B cm7 are the same. It worked. Then I did the partition 2, 3 and 4 deletions. Booted to cyanoboot to make sure I could still boot to that. It did. Then I expanded partition 1 (in my case to 11.7GB on my 16GB card). Booted again, it still worked. Then created partition 2 (450MB ext4), partition 3 (1100 MB ext4), partition 4 (Extended rest of sd), partition 5 (450 MB ext4 logical) and partition 6 (rest of extended ext4 logical). All the time making sure something I did did not prevent it from booting. And I always made sure the nook was powered off before attempting to boot.

I don't know if this procedure made a difference or not. I know how an SD is formatted makes a difference. That's why I was careful not to change the format of partition 1. I have read that each nook has it's own way of responding.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I just posted on the .04 cm9 thread about the rotation issue using succulent's older altboot.img with the .04 version of cm9. If it has not already been done, altboot.img needs to be updated with the latest kernel from .04. The rotations have changed in the kernel. See my post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26717092

Edit: I just saw it was you that posted that newboot file on the .04 thread. Good work.

Last edited:

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
I just posted on the .04 cm9 thread about the rotation issue using succulent's older altboot.img with the .04 version of cm9. If it has not already been done, altboot.img needs to be updated with the latest kernel from .04. The rotations have changed in the kernel. See my post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26717092

Edit: I just saw it was you that posted that newboot file on the .04 thread. Good work.

Chris updated the kernel in 0.04 to fix the booting to landscape. I've fixed it already on the blog on Monday. I've made changes to Cyanoboot menu. The file boot.img/altboot.img are gone, they're now just cm7.img/cm9.img.

s73v3r

Dec 1, 2009
Actually, I did it a little differently than I described. I put the cyanoboot (flashing_boot.img) on first to replace the one that came from team B. Then I booted to be sure that worked. It did, and I used cyanoboot to boot to cm7 since the partitions for Team B cm7 are the same. It worked. Then I did the partition 2, 3 and 4 deletions. Booted to cyanoboot to make sure I could still boot to that. It did. Then I expanded partition 1 (in my case to 11.7GB on my 16GB card). Booted again, it still worked. Then created partition 2 (450MB ext4), partition 3 (1100 MB ext4), partition 4 (Extended rest of sd), partition 5 (450 MB ext4 logical) and partition 6 (rest of extended ext4 logical). All the time making sure something I did did not prevent it from booting. And I always made sure the nook was powered off before attempting to boot.

I don't know if this procedure made a difference or not. I know how an SD is formatted makes a difference. That's why I was careful not to change the format of partition 1. I have read that each nook has it's own way of responding.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

When I attempt to use this technique, it falls flat when I try to expand the first partition. I am unable to boot when the SD card is in and the Nook Tablet is plugged in.

I have an 8gb Nook Tablet, and I'm using a 32gb class 10 card. Is there some limitation with the boot system that doesn't allow large cards to be used? I've tried resizing the first partition to ~21gb, and about the same 11.7gb you mentioned.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to get the 8gb Nook Tablet to boot from the SD card without plugging it in?
When I attempt to use this technique,

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
When I attempt to use this technique, it falls flat when I try to expand the first partition. I am unable to boot when the SD card is in and the Nook Tablet is plugged in.

I have an 8gb Nook Tablet, and I'm using a 32gb class 10 card. Is there some limitation with the boot system that doesn't allow large cards to be used? I've tried resizing the first partition to ~21gb, and about the same 11.7gb you mentioned.
I too an into problems in trying to create a bootable SD image but the SDcards I used are only 8GB in size, hence I doubt if the issue is with some limit on the card size per se.

From what I read here and here, TI OMAP processors (used by the Nooks) require a certain "special geometry" of the boot disk partitions, so I think this might be a reason why not all disk-partition configurations that folks like us have created using simple GUI-based disk-partition tools are bootable.

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So if I wanted to use another ROM such as one with the 3.0 kernel, I'd need to open up the boot.img (cm9/cm7.img) and replace the kernel then repack it?

bluetooth_decay

Jul 19, 2009
Texas, baby!
succulent, I ought to call you the Doctor of Love, or Cupid, or something. Because my g/f is going to be giddy when she sees what her Nook Tablet looks like now, and she's able to read her Amazon and her B&N stuff on it :D Many thanks. Thanks as well to fattire for Cyanoboot, and chrmhoffmann for his CM9 port.

I haven't yet read anywhere where people have been able to access their previously-downloaded B&N book content (on eMMC somewhere, I suppose) from CM[79]. That's not a big deal though, fixable in a few minutes with a wifi connection.

Last edited:

s73v3r

Dec 1, 2009
I too an into problems in trying to create a bootable SD image but the SDcards I used are only 8GB in size, hence I doubt if the issue is with some limit on the card size per se.

From what I read here and here, TI OMAP processors (used by the Nooks) require a certain "special geometry" of the boot disk partitions, so I think this might be a reason why not all disk-partition configurations that folks like us have created using simple GUI-based disk-partition tools are bootable.

I don't suppose you'd know how to get other partitions recognized by the Android system? Basically, I took the CM7 image offered elsewhere in this forum, and wrote it to an SD card. Then I copied succulent's recovery image to the initial, small partition, as well as the cm9 rom zip file. I'm able to boot to recovery, install the CM9 rom, and boot to it just fine. However, the only partition that it recognizes as data is the first one.

Does one of the source files control what partitions are available? Because the CM7 image recognizes both the boot section and the SD card section at the end.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I don't suppose you'd know how to get other partitions recognized by the Android system? Basically, I took the CM7 image offered elsewhere in this forum, and wrote it to an SD card. Then I copied succulent's recovery image to the initial, small partition, as well as the cm9 rom zip file. I'm able to boot to recovery, install the CM9 rom, and boot to it just fine. However, the only partition that it recognizes as data is the first one.
I am not sure what you meant by "recognized by the Android system". Do your partitions show up when browsing the root directory with ES File Explorer?

s73v3r

Dec 1, 2009
I am not sure what you meant by "recognized by the Android system". Do your partitions show up when browsing the root directory with ES File Explorer?

I haven't tried that; I will tonight.

What I meant is that when you go under "Settings"->"Storage", the partition isn't shown. Making me guess that one can't use that partition for storing apps.

I'm guessing if the partition doesn't show up under "Settings"->"Storage", it won't be mounted for ES File Explorer.

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
So if I wanted to use another ROM such as one with the 3.0 kernel, I'd need to open up the boot.img (cm9/cm7.img) and replace the kernel then repack it?

Extract the boot.img, modified the ramdisk init file so it point to the sdcard partition and repack. Modified the updater-script so it point installation to sdcard partition.

Go read the CM9 Alpha 0.04 thread, it’s discussed there on how to read the internal memory.

Reactions: Keithn

s73v3r

Dec 1, 2009
No information on how the system sees the external SD card, and how to alter which partitions on it get mounted and where?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

WARNING: Perform at your own risk. Do your research.

I am providing the source to compile CM7 for the Nook Tablet. I am not providing a CM7 build since Team B+ have done so. What I provide is the device and vendor contents, kernel, and kernel configuration file, ramdisk, and boot image. You will need to compile your own CM7. This will give you a more updated CM7 with latest update.

My source is primary based on Whistlestop source, but I’ve used bits and pieces from other sources like Nook Color and LG P925.

My goal was to build CM7 for the Nook Tablet as a learning experience. I have always used rom created by other people because I am not a developer. I did my research and learned to build my own CM7. I find that building your own rom is more satisfying and I think everyone should try it at least once. It will require a lot of time and some learning, but it will be special in the end.

More info are on my blog.

New Source for CM7, compile your own CM7.2 RC1
    https://github.com/succulent/android_device_bn_acclaim
    https://github.com/succulent/android_vendor_bn_acclaim

Recovery sdcard, Flashable Recovery, Unbrick files
    https://github.com/succulent/acclaim_recovery_sdcard

Mediefire Nook Tablet Folder
    http://www.mediafire.com/?eidcug5a7en8r

Dual boot (CM7/CM9)
    - Instruction here (My blog)
    - Includes files for single/dual-boot sdcard
    - Boot to CM7/CM9 from sdcard with fattire's cyanoboot
    - Roms not included
    - Please don't post iso/img/prebuilt sdcard of this
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6syVkhPQaM
    - Mockup pic
    cyanoboot.png

flash_recovery.zip (use recovery to flash it. no more sdcard recovery)
    - Hold Power & "n button" down until the device turns on and off again.
    - Then press Power to turn the device on normally and access the recovery.
    - You can also boot to recovery by issuing command "reboot recovery" in adb or terminal

flash_stock_recovery.zip (use recovery to flash it, restore stock recovery)

flash_u-boot_and_MLO.zip (use it to restore bootloader and xloader)
    - Flash this if all you get is a black screen (no 'n' logo screen) when turning your Nook Tablet on.

flash_stock_1.4.2.zip (use it to restore to stock 1.4.2)
    - After restart, it will take up to a couple minutes to setup data and system folder.
    - It'll be up to a couple of minutes before the setup screen shows up.
    - This is virgin stock rom, no root, no added apps, etc.
    - This rom will wipe your user data and cache so you don't have to. BACKUP beforehand.

flash-restore-stock.zip (use it to restore partition 1-6)
    - Only use this as last measure. Meaning only if you formatted rom (p5) and bootdata (p6).
    - You will need to install flash_stock_1.4.2.zip afterward or a CM7 rom.
    - To get your serial number back, you need to perform factory restore (8 failed boot method)
    - The one that prompt,
    Clearing data…
    A reset is being performed.
    This may take a few minutes

What’s not working:
    -Mic in Talking Cat/Dog apps. I can get the mic working but no audio so I choose audio but no mic.
    -Can't get mic to work same time as speaker.
    -XX and X. You tell me.

Notes:
    - DO NOT FORMAT ANY PARTITIONS, ONLY USE WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET
    - Use the forum search.
    - First time booting, you will see a long delay black (old)/2 android guys (new) screen until the android skate by.
    - To remount sdcard, go to settings/storage and mount your sdcard manually or reinsert your sdcard.
    - When restoring with Titanium Backup, restore manually the apps and data. You do not want old stuff getting restore and causing problem.
    - HW Decoding is limited to 3GP, 3G2, MP4, M4V, MKV, WEBM, H.264 (Baseline/Main/High profile) up to 1920x1080, MPEG-4 Simple/Advanced Simple profile up to 1920x1080, & H.263
    - Got Wifi problem, do Wifi calibration to see if it fixes it.
    - If your Nook Tablet go to sleep and never wake up, plug the USB power cable in and hold the power button for 30 seconds, release and repeat.
    - Got an extra Nook Tablet? Donate it to fattire so he can help getting ICS on Nook Tablet faster.
    - Screen goes crazy? Is it low on battery? Plugged in the USB power cable in.
    - What different in this CM7 build and Team B? Nothing much, we shared ideas.
    - There will be random problems.
    - RC stand for release candidate. Latest for NT is RC1
    - If your sdcard doesn't mount after reboot, take your sdcard out and put it back in and wait a few seconds for it to automount

OLD SOURCE Mirrors:
    http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=oAajznB
    http://www.mediafire.com/?96fa3zx95xiebeg
    https://www.rapidshare.com/files/4067595392/Nook-Tablet.zip
    http://depositfiles.com/files/k655wvhtc
    http://www.wupload.com/file/2675371217

Extras in Old Source:
    .config – kernel configuration file
    boot.img – prebuilt boot image with modified u-boot from bauwks
    irboot.img – the modified u-boot needed to concatenate to custom boot.img
    zImage – prebuilt kernel with cifs, tun, and nfs modules built in and other stuffs.

Credits:
    Bauwks for his exploit in 2nd boot.
    Team B+ (Goncezilla, CelticWebs, Indirect) for furthering Nook Tablet development.
    Whistlestop and JackpotClavin from Kindle Fire development for the device and vendor source.
    Fattire, Nemith, and Dalingrin for CWM, and works on Nook Color and Nook Tablet development.
    Koush, Cyanogenmod and XDA for home to many great developers.

CM7.2 RC1 with Nexus S modified build.prop
    jzk8pk.png

HD (succulent)
    Need help?
    Post questions here.

How to pack Nook Tablet (16gb) boot.img on Windows 7.
    http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/extract-edit-repack-boot-img-windows

- Download and install Cygwin,
    http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/installing-cygwin-windows
    - Download packboot.zip and extract contents to C:\cygwin\packboot
    - http://mir.cr/1BTTGZ0V
    - Open Cygwin.bat, located in C:\cygwin
    - In the command box, type
    $ cd c:/cygwin/packboot
    $ ./packboot
    - Your new boot.img is newboot.img.

Notes:
    - If you want to make an 8gb version newboot.img, replace the boot.img with a backup of 8gb version.
    - You can change the ramdisk in the folder “c:/cygwin/out/ramdisk”
    - You can replace the kernel, “zImage”.
    - You can replace the irboot.img with one that you make, the one included support both 8gb/16gb.

How to compile CM7

Install VirtualBox and Ubuntu with at least 20GB.

Install the Build Packages
    Install using the package manager of your choice:

For 32-bit & 64-bit systems:

$ apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool

For 64-bit only systems:

$ apt-get install g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib

NOTE: gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib is no longer available for Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, but should still build without issue.

NOTE: On Ubuntu 10.10, and variants, you need to enable the parter repository to install sun-java6-jdk:

$ add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ maverick partner"

Create the Directories
    You will need to set up some directories in your build environment.

To create them:

$ mkdir -p ~/bin
    $ mkdir -p ~/android/system

Install the Repository

Enter the following to download make executable the "repo" binary:

$ curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
    $ chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

NOTE: You may need to reboot for these changes to take effect.

Now enter the following to initialize the repository:

$ cd ~/android/system/
    $ repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread

If you don't want to download unnecessary device projects, open .repo/manifest.xml. Remove devices between device/common and external/alsa-lib.

<project path="device/common" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_common" />
    - delete devices -
    <project path="external/alsa-lib" name="CyanogenMod/android_external_alsa-lib" />

$ repo sync

NOTE: This step takes a long time, depending on your internet speed. It will download several gigabytes of data. I recommend that you have a lot of hard drive space.

Copy device and vendor folder from Nook-Tablet to ~/android/system/

$ mkdir device/bn
    $ mkdir device/bn/acclaim
    $ git clone https://github.com/succulent/android_device_bn_acclaim
    $ mv android_device_bn_acclaim device/bn/acclaim
    $ mkdir vendor/bn
    $ mkdir vendor/bn/acclaim
    $ git clone https://github.com/succulent/android_vendor_bn_acclaim
    $ mv android_vendor_bn_acclaim vendor/bn/acclaim
    $ /vendor/cyanogen/./get-rommanager
    $ make clean

Configure Build & Compile

$ . build/envsetup.sh && brunch acclaim

NOTE: This step takes a long time, time vary depend on your computer processing power.

Copy your .zip file from ~/out/target/product/acclaim/update.cm-XXXXX-signed.zip to the root of the SD card.

Your rom will contain recovery, MLO and U-boot.bin. (Only with new source)

Replace the boot.img in the .zip file with one in Nook-Tablet. (Only with old source)

Replace updater-script in the .zip file with one in Nook-Tablet. updater-scripte is in /META-INF/com/google/android/. (Only with old source)

Flash .zip files from recovery. Wipe data/factory reset.

References:

Fattire's CM9 for NookColor Build Instructions
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/19f7Z1rxJHa5grNlNFSkh7hQ0LmDOuPdKMQUg8HFiyzs/edit?pli=1

Barnes & Noble Nook Color: Compile CyanogenMod (Linux)
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Barnes_&_Noble_Nook_Color:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)
    Thank you very much succulent for the kernel.

Can I use it for my MIUI rom?

Sure. For your information, if you use my kernel, you need to use the wifi contents in the vendor/../wifi folder or else your wifi won't work. Else, you can compile your own wifi modules. Modules depend on kernel version.
    Added
    https://github.com/succulent/acclaim_recovery_sdcard/blob/master/dual_boot_sdcard_hd.zip
    Dual boot (CM7/CM9)
    - Instruction here (My blog)
    - Includes files for single/dual-boot sdcard
    - Boot to CM7/CM9 from sdcard with fattire's cyanoboot
    - Roms not included
    - Please don't post iso/img/prebuilt sdcard of this
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6syVkhPQaM
    Thank you for the tutorial! I finished building my first ROM from scratch last night thanks to you.

Just a couple problems I ran into, perhaps I can help some others avoid them:
    -You must run vendor/cyanogen/get-rommanager before compiling
    -For Arch Linux users: mv /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python.bak & ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python
    -to compile with gcc 4.7 check this commit.

I am looking forward to making some contributions to the community and improving the environment for this excellent little tablet. Thanks again!

Good,

I've added codes so that when you build CM7, it will include recovery.img, MLO, and u-boot.bin in the output zip. This way, it'll flash recovery into internal when you flash the rom. :eek: