[PC-APP] Tweaking your X10 Equalizer

Search This thread

MrRusch

Jan 31, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
fa1725fd38d575de1ab88b5bd24fd8366g.jpg

Android allows for customization of 8 bands of sound, each with individual values for gain, frequency range, type and qf. The EQ settings is disabled per default in our X10s, and this and more information is stored in a file called AudioFilter.csv (/system/etc/).

I wrote a handy little JAR-application that helps you edit this file and save a new copy on your PC. With our new found root privileges, this can then be pushed to device and overwrite the existing settings, modifying your X10's sound levels as you see fit.

As the /system/ parition is mounted as read-only filesystem, we can't simply push files straight to /system/etc. Therefore we will push the file to the /sdcard/ and, remount the partition as read-write, and then use the superuser privileges to copy the file over and replace the existing one.

Start by editing the AudioFilter.csv. Here is a copy of the original X10 settings file (Download: MegaUpload, MediaFire). Open it in the app, and edit it to your liking. Then save it as a new copy and follow the instructions below on how to replace the current settings. To enable the EQ, set "Enabled" value to 'FFFF', and then play with the bands' individual values. When you have the EQ set, move on to the step by step instructions:

1. PC: "adb push AudioFilter.csv /sdcard/
2. PC: "adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system"
3. X10: "su"
4. X10: "cp /sdcard/AudioFilter.csv /system/etc/"
5. X10: "reboot"

And there you go, your settings should be changed after boot. I am new to Android, so please correct me if I am completely lost on the matter.

This is not yet working, so no need to download yet - if you don't want to help out of course!
Download: MegaUpload, MediaFire
Please do not redistribute or mirror this application without my concent.

Last edited:

tuxStyle

Apr 10, 2010
Montreal
You know Java, we have root, why not making an android app to do just that? :)
What's the point of running commands when you can do it directly from an app?

Karooluss

Mar 27, 2010
Chrzanow
oh, it's geat idea to put EQ into X10 !! But has anyone tested?? Plz do android app and clear tutorial how to ..... :)

superleeds27

Jun 21, 2010
Hull
Has anyone tried this yet. I'd love to try it, but not sure how the values work, within the program :/

gavriel18

Nov 26, 2007
Ottawa
This is F****in pro!! Thank you :D, and this is very useful, an app would be even better but I'm happy as is

Edit: Do you have a link to explain the freq codes?

Last edited:

Karooluss

Mar 27, 2010
Chrzanow
I don't understand instruction how to apply the equalizer, I havent also my x10 rooted but I will do.... could anyone do instructions how to instal the eq, step by step?????

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

gavriel18

Nov 26, 2007
Ottawa
@karooluss

Download both links, Mr Rusch's csv, and x10 EQ. Open eq, hit open file, find csv you downloaded. To apply follow the script on the first page.

MrRusch

Jan 31, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
It maybe worth listing what each of the bands do and also what codes to use to increase the volume or decrease the volume. :)

This may also be useful :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=517745

If I may assume this works like any other normal EQ: The bands themselves are not controlling different things as someone said here before, but rather different frequency ranges. So basically, per the default settings - band1 are the very lowest of frequencies (most probably rumbling "bass" sounds), and band8 are the highest (sounds we can probably not even hear). I will try to explain it part by part..

Gain: This is volume increase/decrease, normally measured in dB.
Freq. (Frequency Range): This is the peak of the frequency range, which together with Type and QF determines the effect on the sound curve.
Type: This is the type of filter used on this frequency range. I believe 1 represents a lowpass filter, 2 a highpass filter, and 3 a notch filter. There may be more types, I don't know.
QF (Quality Factor): This is, simply put, the width of the curve in this frequency range. A low QF usually affects a wide frequency range, and a high QF usually a narrow one.

As for the values used, these are all half a byte of hexadecimal. 0 is zero, or null. FFFF is max, and would in decimal represent 65535. So, the frequency values used by standard (from band1 through 8) are 400, 500, 2000, 4000, 5000, 8000, 9000, 18000 in decimal, and probably actually a Hz value.

So, the values you enter have to be in HEX. Use a decimal to hexadecimal converter if HEX values are completely foreign to you.

Last edited:

gavriel18

Nov 26, 2007
Ottawa
@mrrusch

Thanks for the update on how to use but one more question (it may be dumb) does changing the number in enable have any effect? I also turned the qf to 500. It seems like mp3s are a bit clearer but i cant hear a difference in wav files. Im using westone 3s no amp

Sent from my X10a using XDA App

MrRusch

Jan 31, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
@mrrusch

Thanks for the update on how to use but one more question (it may be dumb) does changing the number in enable have any effect? I also turned the qf to 500. It seems like mp3s are a bit clearer but i cant hear a difference in wav files. Im using westone 3s no amp

Sent from my X10a using XDA App

Enable needs to be set to either 0 or FFFF (0 = off, FFFF = on). This toggles whether to use the EQ or not.

superleeds27

Jun 21, 2010
Hull
When opening the original enable is set to 0. Therefore its turrned off. If we turn it on and save it. Would we ntice any difference?