Won't start up help needed

Search This thread

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
Okay about two weeks ago I updated to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2(I think that's the one?) on my s4 and I've hated the update. I decided to root my phone using muniz method and it worked perfectly. I even changed to the nc1.

So, after using my phone without issues for two weeks roughly I noticed last night it started to randomly turn off while texting. It would just auto restart but it happened every 5-10 minutes. After an hour it started happening more often so I plugged my phone in. Now my phone will not even turn on. When I insert the battery the samsung start screen appears for about a second and then goes black. I have to pull out the battery for the phone to do ANYTHING. If the phone is plugged in while trying this and I insert the battery I literately get NOTHING. No samsung screen or anything.

Things I've tried.

Swapped the battery.
boot into odin
boot into safemode
plugged it in while trying to boot
Swapped the usb cord
taken out sim card

Some things to note is that I did not install any new app before this had happened. It was working the same for about two weeks with no issues.
When plugging in my phone to charge or anything I never get an led light at the top of my phone.

I seriously need some help with this. Any suggestions are appreciated! :(

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Okay about two weeks ago I updated to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2(I think that's the one?) on my s4 and I've hated the update. I decided to root my phone using muniz method and it worked perfectly. I even changed to the nc1.

So, after using my phone without issues for two weeks roughly I noticed last night it started to randomly turn off while texting. It would just auto restart but it happened every 5-10 minutes. After an hour it started happening more often so I plugged my phone in. Now my phone will not even turn on. When I insert the battery the samsung start screen appears for about a second and then goes black. I have to pull out the battery for the phone to do ANYTHING. If the phone is plugged in while trying this and I insert the battery I literately get NOTHING. No samsung screen or anything.

Things I've tried.

Swapped the battery.
boot into odin
boot into safemode
plugged it in while trying to boot
Swapped the usb cord
taken out sim card

Some things to note is that I did not install any new app before this had happened. It was working the same for about two weeks with no issues.
When plugging in my phone to charge or anything I never get an led light at the top of my phone.

I seriously need some help with this. Any suggestions are appreciated! :(

Are you plugging it in to the stock wall charger? Your best bet is to get it to boot into download mode long enough to reflash NB1.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running BlackBox 3.0

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
Are you plugging it in to the stock wall charger? Your best bet is to get it to boot into download mode long enough to reflash NB1.

Yeah using stock wall charger from a wall, computer, and even a different charger.

Is download mode the one where you hold vol down + power + home?

If so it brings up the screen that asks you to press the volume up but it dies before it can ever make it to the downloading screen...

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Yeah using stock wall charger from a wall, computer, and even a different charger.

Is download mode the one where you hold vol down + power + home?

If so it brings up the screen that asks you to press the volume up but it dies before it can ever make it to the downloading screen...

Experiment and see if you can get it to stay there. If not, you may need to try a best buy if you can.

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks, i'll keep playing with it but so far it just shuts off instantly in about a second or two.

If I bring it to best buy and they take it or anywhere else will I be shunned for rooting my phone? :p

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks, i'll keep playing with it but so far it just shuts off instantly in about a second or two.

If I bring it to best buy and they take it or anywhere else will I be shunned for rooting my phone? :p

If it won't start they won't know it's rooted. They'll try to flash the firmware which will remove root if they're successful, so again they won't know

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
That would be fantastic! If I purshased it at walmart would it matter if I take it to best buy for example? I'm sure a corporate AT&T store could do the same correct?

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
That would be fantastic! If I purshased it at walmart would it matter if I take it to best buy for example? I'm sure a corporate AT&T store could do the same correct?

Go to a best buy that has a Samsung experience. They can re-flash it there

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
did you try factory reset

I couldn't do factory reset because the phone wouldn't stay on long enough to do ANYTHING.

So as an update to this...

I was on my way to the closest store with samsung experience which is about an hour away from me and when I almost get there my phone RANDOMLY turns on...

I couldn't be more pissed and happy at the same time. So, obviously I try messing with it a bit and it shuts off again. This time I can get it to turn on after about 15 tries. Long enough for me to do a factory reset!

It lasted a good 30 minutes to an hour and it shut off again.

Hardware issue or is anyone else having this issue with 4.4.2 nc1?

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
No I haven't on mine you all have to bring it in for repair

Okay so I brought it by best buy and the guys couldn't flash it or do anything to it because it wouldn't turn on at all. They tried several batteries etc.

So, I decided to try the phone doctors and the guy thought it could be a malfunction in the power button because the phone tries to boot up any time you put the battery in. You don't have to hit any buttons and you can't insert the battery without it trying to power on.

I'll cross my fingers that's the problem and they phone doctor guy told me he has never seen this issue with an s4 but it was really common in s3's.

I go back in two hours to see if they have fixed it!

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Okay so I brought it by best buy and the guys couldn't flash it or do anything to it because it wouldn't turn on at all. They tried several batteries etc.

So, I decided to try the phone doctors and the guy thought it could be a malfunction in the power button because the phone tries to boot up any time you put the battery in. You don't have to hit any buttons and you can't insert the battery without it trying to power on.

I'll cross my fingers that's the problem and they phone doctor guy told me he has never seen this issue with an s4 but it was really common in s3's.

I go back in two hours to see if they have fixed it!

The s2 had this problem too and one way to confirm it was to pull the battery and put it back in. If it booted right away it was the power button. So it sounds like you're on to something.

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
The s2 had this problem too and one way to confirm it was to pull the battery and put it back in. If it booted right away it was the power button. So it sounds like you're on to something.

Well, I was really hoping for the best and I thought they really had my problem figured out. When I got back to the store they told me they basically checked and rewired everything they could and it was still doing this. They told me they can't fix it and didn't charge me anything.

It looks like I have a lemon...

ron31

Feb 15, 2013
milton ont
Well, I was really hoping for the best and I thought they really had my problem figured out. When I got back to the store they told me they basically checked and rewired everything they could and it was still doing this. They told me they can't fix it and didn't charge me anything.

It looks like I have a lemon...
send it back to samsung

Conquestfan

Oct 28, 2012
I've been informed my phone might still be under factory warranty. Just out of speculation, if you root your phone and it ends up malfunctioning what would they do if you send it in for warranty? I'm not sure if my issue is hardware or software related at all.