HTC Amaze 4G vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Should I trade my Amaze 4G for a Galaxy Nexus?

• Yes, it's a justified trade!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No, keep the Amaze!

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

adslee

Sep 19, 2011
Scarborough
Thanks for all the input guys, I haven't decided yet, probably going to sleep on it for a couple days first.

I can see that a lot of the pluses and minuses of this phone are relatively subjective though, like me preferring the light and slim build of the Galaxy Nexus as opposed to others who like the Amaze's sturdy and solid heft, which is pretty reasonable too. I think in the end, the biggest factors that would push me towards the Galaxy Nexus would be their development base and higher resolution screen. If only I didn't have to give up the beast camera and the microSD card slot on the Amaze :mad:

EclipzeRemix

Oct 8, 2011
here is the thing, the Galaxy Nexus has a slower prossesor, and a worse camera, sure it has a bigger screen at 720p BUT it cant run sense and is stuck to running ICS, no GB or Sense,

Also :D, we are getting sense 3.6 so soon why trade it now? :D

lonz358

Feb 22, 2012
Off topic, but my friend had the incredible. Loved that phone!!!!

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using XDA

I had the Incredible before my Amaze and it was a great phone...The Amaze is really good but once we get a ASOP rom as daily its gonna be great! imo..

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I still have my incredible.... :D
Puremotives sense 3.5 port is a freaking beast, better battery life than aosp. Nearly just as quick. The development is still going on pretty fast over there too, nearly have One X ported to it.

I wish we had a couple of those devs over here.

But again, I would still keep my amaze over the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The amaze is just sexy.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using XDA

rustyxj6

Nov 14, 2009
I was seriously looking into the Galaxy Nexus specially since when I eventually sell it it might keep it's value because it can work with AT&T and T-Mobile. Then I read that the Amaze also works on AT&T's 3G.
I have a Droid Charge which sort of looks like the Galaxy Nexus and I'm not liking the styling. Only reason why I got the charge was to mess with it since I got it for $60.
The Amaze is one impressive phone. I got a 32 gig card class 10 micro sd and I have lots of storage. I travel often outside the US so that whole cloud is of no use to me. When I'm on a plane on a long flight the Cloud does nothing for me. When I'm in the backwoods of Mexico or some other country the cloud does nothing for me unless I want to pay $5 for a meg of data on roaming. Sometimes with T-mobile the signal is so bad that I can't even watch youtube without the video stopping and loading. So I really like having the option of adding extra storage via the microsd cad.
That's one of the biggest reasons why I kept the Amaze along with some other details like a better camera, the two dedicated buttons for the cam corder and camera. I'm also a fan of HTC's Sense.
Another thing that bugs me about the Galaxy Nexus is that they didn't use Gorilla Glass. What the hell was Samsung thinking? I've heard that the thing scratches easily unless you stick a screen protector on top of the display. I for one hate screen protectors. The ones that stick on with glue or whatever collect dust around the edges making the phone look ghetto.
I do like the Display of the Galaxy Nexus better though. However lately HTC has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. My wife uses the Incredible 2. The first phone had a charging port go bad. Her second one has got lots of dust under the screen. Bad HTC very bad HTC. Keep it up and I'm going somewhere else.

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
Don't forget the Amaze 4G supports HSPA+ 42 and the Galaxy Nexus supports HSPA+ 21. You will get faster download speeds on the Amaze 4G if you are in a HSPA+ 42 area.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda premium

Chance Ill

bigger screen with higher resolution.. then PENTILE+screen burn = ****

Both devices are beautiful but have flaws like EVERY device, but to say the pentile display and screen burn are prevalent issues or lessens the quality are the words of someone that does not own one or simply bias. As far as power, or lack thereof, (1.2 vs 1.5) is a numbers game. The Amaze needs that extra power to navigate Sense while the GN is Vanilla, which is optimized to run on the GN and doesn't require that extra bump. On and on and on.............:rolleyes:

It comes down to preference. Both are definitely beast in their own right, but you have to decide which is worth keeping.

I couldn't decide, so I bought both! ;)

Reactions: blitz911

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
Both devices are beautiful but have flaws like EVERY device, but to say the pentile display and screen burn are prevalent issues or lessens the quality are the words of someone that does not own one or simply bias. As far as power, or lack thereof, (1.2 vs 1.5) is a numbers game. The Amaze needs that extra power to navigate Sense while the GN is Vanilla, which is optimized to run on the GN and doesn't require that extra bump. On and on and on.............:rolleyes:

It comes down to preference. Both are definitely beast in their own right, but you have to decide which is worth keeping.

pentile might not bother some people (regular consumers) which there arent much of those "regular" ones on xda lol most of us want nuclear powerplants as phones and the best tech and pentile doesnt cut it. though on the one s pentile doenst look bad. now with the screen burn, thats is just complete crap and i would never be okay paying $600 for a phone that i know is going to get that.. i dont see who would, unless they have money to waste

G

glacierguy

pentile might not bother some people (regular consumers) which there arent much of those "regular" ones on xda lol most of us want nuclear powerplants as phones and the best tech and pentile doesnt cut it. though on the one s pentile doenst look bad. now with the screen burn, thats is just complete crap and i would never be okay paying $600 for a phone that i know is going to get that.. i dont see who would, unless they have money to waste

I love the Amaze's screen, but think it would be worth the sacrifice to get battery life. I've never seen a phone's battery fall off of the cliff like the Amaze, just from having the display on... Smh. Even with brightness all the way down. Just because the Pentile isn't AS good as the Amaze's, you're right in saying they're really not that much of a downgrade

Sent from my HTC Amaze running Sense 3.5

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
I love the Amaze's screen, but think it would be worth the sacrifice to get battery life. I've never seen a phone's battery fall off of the cliff like the Amaze, just from having the display on... Smh. Even with brightness all the way down. Just because the Pentile isn't AS good as the Amaze's, you're right in saying they're really not that much of a downgrade

take a look at the first two pictures. http://www.engadget.com/photos/lg-r...te-disses-pentile-on-samsungs-amoled/#4962291

yes, you get good battery life on blacks, but whites you get HORRIBLE battery life, much more drain then the amaze. so any web browsing or light backgrounds or anything will drain the crap out of your phone.

IPS displays have the advantage with white and blacks. too bad the amaze isnt IPS :p the IPS barely uses anymore power on blacks either than the oled

i cant stand pentile, everything looked pixelated, qHD, HD, full HD idk name it. there is no advantage over pentile over full RGB besides battery life. id rather have a beautliful screen and suffer some battery drain than a horrible screen and better battery. and i know that is a opinion, but; if you are wanting amazing battery life in general then why the hell would you own an android in the first place lol.

Last edited:
G

glacierguy

take a look at the first two pictures. http://www.engadget.com/photos/lg-r...te-disses-pentile-on-samsungs-amoled/#4962291

yes, you get good battery life on blacks, but whites you get HORRIBLE battery life, much more drain then the amaze. so any web browsing or light backgrounds or anything will drain the crap out of your phone.

IPS displays have the advantage with white and blacks. too bad the amaze isnt IPS :p the IPS barely uses anymore power on blacks either than the oled

i cant stand pentile, everything looked pixelated, qHD, HD, full HD idk name it. there is no advantage over pentile over full RGB besides battery life. id rather have a beautliful screen and suffer some battery drain than a horrible screen and better battery. and i know that is a opinion, but; if you are wanting amazing battery life in general then why the hell would you own an android in the first place lol.

True... That's why I have 3 microUSBs strategically placed at work, in my laptop, and in my car to go with my OEM cable at my bedside lol :D

I'm an addict and I love my display :D

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
True... That's why I have 3 microUSBs strategically placed at work, in my laptop, and in my car to go with my OEM cable at my bedside lol :D

I'm an addict and I love my display :D

The amaze has the best display of any phone that i have owned, only thing that could be better is the blacks xD thats not new though

lamenramen

Jul 19, 2011
Stick with the Amaze. The best thing about the Galaxy Nexus is the fact that it's vanilla Android ICS.
That's it, and the developer base that comes with it being an official Google phone.

But other than that, I can't find myself liking the Galaxy Nexus for the following reasons:
--the pentile matrix is easily visible, even at a 720p resolution
--the screen is 200 nits. That's not even as bright as a regular laptop screen. It's dim. That's a prime reason that the battery life is "better" than the Amaze. If I could get on a soapbox a bit, a screen, esp on a touchscreen phone, which is basically 90% screen, should be of supreme importance. Why the pentile matrix has blossomed I will never know, but the Amaze's screen is the primary reason why I want the phone. I hadn't seen any screen that can compete with the iPhone 4/4S screens until now. The Amaze does just that. The One X I hear is even better.
--build quality
--inferior camera
--no memory card expansion slot
--removeable battery

The galaxy nexus is in no way under consideration by me.

stratax

Aug 21, 2010
Missouri (misery)
Stick with the Amaze. The best thing about the Galaxy Nexus is the fact that it's vanilla Android ICS.
That's it, and the developer base that comes with it being an official Google phone.

But other than that, I can't find myself liking the Galaxy Nexus for the following reasons:
--the pentile matrix is easily visible, even at a 720p resolution
--the screen is 200 nits. That's not even as bright as a regular laptop screen. It's dim. That's a prime reason that the battery life is "better" than the Amaze. If I could get on a soapbox a bit, a screen, esp on a touchscreen phone, which is basically 90% screen, should be of supreme importance. Why the pentile matrix has blossomed I will never know, but the Amaze's screen is the primary reason why I want the phone. I hadn't seen any screen that can compete with the iPhone 4/4S screens until now. The Amaze does just that. The One X I hear is even better.
--build quality
--inferior camera
--no memory card expansion slot
--removeable battery

The galaxy nexus is in no way under consideration by me.

the screen on the one x is probablt 3 times as good as the one on the amaze. you get oled blacks with a IPS SLCD "2". it is the best on the market imo. still, wont ever go 4.7" i dont think

vrracing

Dec 10, 2008
Houston
Razer Phone 2
I love my Amaze and i recently got my girlfriend a Gnex. Ive messed with it a little and it actually makes me love my amaze more. I dont know if it samsungs lack of finish or that i just hate ICS but there is no way i would ever choose the Gnex ove my amaze.

rubyman94

Nov 13, 2010
I herd that the burn problem on the screen has been fixed. Soooo I'm really tempted to sell my amaze and get a nexus :).

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    bigger screen with higher resolution.. then PENTILE+screen burn = ****

Yeah thats what i was thinking. next phone i get will probably have a oled screen. the only phone that i am looking at that doesnt is the acer cloudmobile which im not even sure what screen it has

It looks like CloudMobile has an 4.3" HD IPS Display with a zero."air gap" design. Now that you mentioned this phone, I'm now interested. LOL.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    XDA Rules: http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?a=81

10 Post Rule: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/xdas-10-post-rule/

XDA Marketplace Rules: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/market-place-rules-updated/

Sent from my Galaxy Note i717, using XDA Premium.
    I'm not surprised that all these posts support the amaze (it IS the amaze forum) however I am surprised by some of the arguments. Android development is obviously way better on the nexus it being supported directly from Google. And I agree that stock the brightness is a little low but 80% of the people that got the nexus got it to flash custom roms / kernels. And let me tell you. I get 3.5 hours screen on time with 75% brightness with Franco.kernel not to mention super smoothness. Also Google Wallet ! Might not be for everyone but let me tell you its a head turner. I will give the amaze camera better quality shots however the zero shutter lag on the nexus is amazing! Also rgb led light is great too! Amaze does have an sdcard which is good however most cloud storage is becoming more convenient especially with sites like drop box. Also I own both phones and my nexus doesn't have burn in. its 720p display is much better than my amaze's display.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    exactly!!! im not really big on Acer but this phone is going to make them shine :D the screen looks amazing

From what I've read, its a good phone. People are really commenting on the design.

XDA Rules: http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?a=81

10 Post Rule: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/xdas-10-post-rule/

XDA Marketplace Rules: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/market-place-rules-updated/

Sent from my Galaxy Note i717, using XDA Premium.