Update stock rom while rooted

Search This thread

carlos9032

May 4, 2014
Hey everyone, I have a question...so I rooted my phone a couple of months ago and never got around to installing a custom rom. So as of right now I have the stock 4.3 (sch-i545), I never done anything besides rooting it. I just received an update for the stock rom and my question is, could I just update it while my phone is rooted without voiding the warranty and or bricking it? Much obliged for your time:)

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
If all you did was rooted, and didn't delete any apps, make any changes to files, etc., it should work. It won't brick your phone if it doesn't work, it will just reboot and tell you it failed.

My understanding was that you need to be absolute stock to take an OTA. Have you seen anyone say they've been able to OTA a rooted phone?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Pow35

Aug 28, 2013
North York
Can't say for sure if I have. Never heard of anyone that rooted and didn't make any kind of change either.

If all you did was root the phone, you will be able to OTA... BUT,
This OTA update will install NC5 on your phone and add the lovely Knox warranty void as well.
As far as I can tell, at this time, therd is NO way of rooting the Verizon S4 after updating to NC5.

If you look under "About Phone, Status.. Device Status, if it says OFFICIAL, you'll be good to go for OTA.
But remember... no Rooting under the new OTA with verizon, until one of the XDA Genius finds a solution for us zombies.

ch.ch1

Oct 22, 2012
NYC
If all you did was root the phone, you will be able to OTA... BUT,
This OTA update will install NC5 on your phone and add the lovely Knox warranty void as well.
As far as I can tell, at this time, therd is NO way of rooting the Verizon S4 after updating to NC5.

If you look under "About Phone, Status.. Device Status, if it says OFFICIAL, you'll be good to go for OTA.
But remember... no Rooting under the new OTA with verizon, until one of the XDA Genius finds a solution for us zombies.

I tried to OTA on rooted phone and it failed.
Don't like to do a factory reset, so I basically only want an OTA update. Cant stick anymore as my phone is driving me nuts, my phone screen keeps on going black and locking every few seconds when I wake the screen from sleep

tech_head

I tried to OTA on rooted phone and it failed.
Don't like to do a factory reset, so I basically only want an OTA update. Cant stick anymore as my phone is driving me nuts, my phone screen keeps on going black and locking every few seconds when I wake the screen from sleep

Go here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

You can go to MK2; the latest version of Jellybean.
You can then either root and stay there.
You can root, install safestrap then go to a rooted KitKat (NC5) and keep the MK2 bootloader.
You can ignore all rooting and mods and take the OTA and go to a crippled NC5 with no root.

Hope that helps.

tersongs

May 6, 2014
yupp

My understanding was that you need to be absolute stock to take an OTA. Have you seen anyone say they've been able to OTA a rooted phone?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah I used the OTA update and my phone was rooted. Also every time I turn(ed) on my phone it says samsung custom with an unlock this is on 4.4.2 and on 4.3 before. I checked to see if I have root, but I don't. Also superuser is still installed, says I don't have root (obviously). Except the weird thing is, that it says samsung custom still, and on the isis mobile wallet it says I cant use it because my device is rooted. I also used root checker to see if I was to double check and it says I'm not. I'm really confused... but hey at least the OTA update worked, i just cant wait to get root again because I will miss all my rooted apps. I didn't check to make sure they developed root either. which sucks but whatever.