Optimus black video playback-updated

Search This thread

ahhm2011

Apr 21, 2012
the lg optimus black has a ti omap 3630 chipset with IVA2+ hardware accelerator to decode video,unfortunately the iva2+ can decode only avc baseline profile at 720p and main profile at 480p, but the avc high profile is not support by IVA2+

Luckily the ARM CORTEX A8 CPU has a powerful media processing engine called NEON which can decode video using software codecs which can drain the battery quickly in case of decoding hd avc high profile videos

in the change log of gingerbread update for optimus black, they mentioned support of new media formats as avc,mpeg4 and some users reported that the phone can play hd 720p avc high profile videos, other users reported that it can play 720p mp4 avc high profile and 480p mkv avc high profile smoothly and that 720p mkv shutters or lags.

that means lg have added some neon optimized software codecs that use use the cpu to decode avc high profile video, resulting in faster battery drain than hardware codecs and also im not sure if 1 ghz cortex a8 cpu with neon can play smoothly 720p avc high profile videos because when i play a 720p avc high profile video on my laptop, it consumes more than 1 ghz on the cpu which is pentium dual core 2.3 ghz with ssse3 media processing engine which i guess is much more powerful than arm cortex a8 neon

so what do u think guys?

BoyBawang2

Nov 25, 2008
I use MX Player or Mobi Player to easily determine whether the video is playing in Hardware or Software. So far it played MKV and youtube FLV in software.

FunkyGanja

Apr 7, 2012
I've had mkv videos playing in HW mode on my MX Player and i'm on Zeus 6.11o. Although i did overclock it to 1.2GHz and it decided to reboot itself, it does do an AVERAGE job.

Sound and video quality is excellent only problem is, the longer you play the video, the less synchronous they become.

I think it will be a bit of a stretch to try and get 720p video and other high quality encoding on hardware such as the p970 but something could happen.

FunkyGanja

Apr 7, 2012
Did you install the MX Video Arm7 codecs too?

I as far as i know, I haven't installed those codecs because it didn't ask for them. They may have already been installed prior to download because i prefer to download apk rather than use my limited 3G connection.

Bu regardless, this phone plays video beautifully considering the high compression which even lags on my 3.2Ghz PC.

ahhm2011

Apr 21, 2012
update

IVA2+ is based on TI C64x DSP which can be clocked to 800 MHz
ti.com/product/omap3630 , this means that it can support 720p avc high profile by default if it is clocked to 600 mhz or above

so if you try to play 720p avc high profile video in dice player and it worked, this means that lg overclocked the dsp in gingerbread update so that it supports hardware decoding of hd avc high profile videos

BoyBawang2

Nov 25, 2008
hi all,
Has anybody Experienced MXvideo played a video in Software but finally played it in Hardware after installing the optional Arm7 codecs?
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi all,
    Has anybody Experienced MXvideo played a video in Software but finally played it in Hardware after installing the optional Arm7 codecs?
    thanks
    arm7 codecs are software codecs that use the cpu to decode video ,hardware decoding uses built-in codecs to decode video using the video decoder or dsp