[Q] Returning to stock for warranty service

Search This thread

stevenrp

Dec 5, 2011
I know that it has been posted here on these forums somewhere. I am searching, however, I believe that my searching keywords are too broad and it's not bringing up exactly what I'm looking for. So I'm just going to ask for some guidance and direction here in the general forum:

Long story short, the USB port on my phone is broken and does not charge or connect to my PC. But it is under WARRANTY thankfully! I have to send my rooted Sprint S4 to Samsung in order for them to fix the hardware issue I'm having. Again it is rooted, and I also have a custom ROM installed on it. I'm assuming that I have to revert back to a stock ROM setup and reset the counter to zero or something before I send it to Samsung. My question is, how can I go about reverting back to complete stock (latest stock) and resetting the counter WITHOUT using the USB port on the bottom of my phone since it is broken. Can I mobile ODIN the stock ROM? Can I put it on my SD card and install it that way? I need someone to please show me where I can find these stock file and a way to reset the counter.

Sorry for the confusing post guys. Thank you for all your help! I will try to help you guys with any problems you're having also and contribute to this forum!

Steve

ROMANTiC KiD

Mar 2, 2011
From what I've heard. If your on MJA or newer there is this thing called knox that once you root or flash a recovery, etc your warranty is void with samsung because once you go to download mode you will see knox counter trigger and there is no way of resetting it back. Hopefully your covered with sprint at least.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dyandell

Jul 22, 2013
Chainfire made Mobile Odin. There is a Pro version in the play store but I am not sure if that will fix your problem. Here is a link to Chainfire's website http://www.chainfire.eu/ You may be able to search/ask in his forum as well and see what happens. I would think there is a XDA forum. You can also buy Triangle Away on the play store which will get rid of the triangle but my understanding is there is no way to reset the 0X1 flag once it is tripped. I have no idea what the answer to your question is as far as returning to stock though. It would be nice if you post what you find here in case anyone else runs into this problem. I hope that helps a little.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
To put it bluntly, you are SOL. Without the usb port you will not be able to odin the stock tar. Mobile odin may work, but as stated earlier, if you are on MJA or newer than your knox warranty flag is tripped so there is no purpose to reset to stock since there is NO WAY to reset the knox flag. If you have insurance, that is your best option, if not, then send it in to Samsung and they will either fix it or send it back with out fixing it.

stevenrp

Dec 5, 2011
I was on MJA :( ... Ah okay, thanks for the responses guys! Let's hope Samsung fixes the issue without checking to see if the KNOX counter is trip. Do you think I can soft brick the phone so that it doesn't boot up and then send it to Samsung? Will they still be able to check the KNOX counter if the phone is soft bricked? Lol just trying to find a way to get around this whole thing.

nobody291

Jan 25, 2012
Has anyone heard of Samsung actually declining to honor the warranty with Knox tripped? They shouldn't have to provide warranty support if someone dorks up the software on the phone, but if it's a hardware problem they should fix it. If they decline to provide warranty support, consider small claims court...I used it to get Samsung to agree to fix my TV.

2WhiteWolves

Dec 21, 2013
I was on MJA :( ... Ah okay, thanks for the responses guys! Let's hope Samsung fixes the issue without checking to see if the KNOX counter is trip. Do you think I can soft brick the phone so that it doesn't boot up and then send it to Samsung? Will they still be able to check the KNOX counter if the phone is soft bricked? Lol just trying to find a way to get around this whole thing.

Do you know if you have the bootloader MF9? With MF9 bootloader you can go back. You can install My info from play store and check under software, it will say what bootloader you have. But if it is MJA bootloader you will have knox, like others have said.