[Q] My note won't turn on !!!

Search This thread

Androidkmk

Dec 23, 2011
Hey guys...seriously need your help,

I just got the note a month ago and i'm pretty amazed by it's capabilities. this is my first android phone and i'm kind of new to it. I hope i didn't make something dumb, yet i flashed my note with a .tar file just to add arabic language to it as it's not in by default. I follow the instructions explained on the webpage literally using Odin3. I got a passed flash and then disconnected the note as explained. since then it doesn't turn on. I tried almost everything using all kinds of button combinations to get to either download or recovery mode but nothing came out of the screen :( it's simply dead.....very disappointed, wish anyone could help me please....Thank you.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
My Galaxy Note won't turn on too. The problem came after I was downloading a magazine from Zinio using the Reader's Hub app. Before I started the download, my battery level was almost empty. In the middle of the download, the phone died before I could get the chance to plug it in to charge it. Unfortunately when I tried to recharge it using the stock USB cable, the phone wouldn't turn on anymore. I plugged it in my computer but it did not recognize any USB device being plugged into it. It's as if I didn't plugged in the device at all. I've tried every button combination to reset the device as well as try other batteries and then tried the button combinations again to no avail. There was absolutely no response from the phone.

It was pretty obvious at that point that my Note was bricked. It's been only 2 weeks since I bought it and I'm really frustrated that this happened, especially now that I'm already hooked with Android coming from IOS devices for a while.

I decided to send it back to a Samsung Service Center for their evaluation. The front line technicians couldn't get my device to turn on as well. The attendee told me that they will have to keep the unit for further evaluation and told me that I have to wait for 3 business days before informing me of the results. I'm hoping that they would just replace my device with a new one.

mkoger

Dec 23, 2011
Laredo
My Galaxy Note won't turn on too. The problem came after I was downloading a magazine from Zinio using the Reader's Hub app. Before I started the download, my battery level was almost empty. In the middle of the download, the phone died before I could get the chance to plug it in to charge it. Unfortunately when I tried to recharge it using the stock USB cable, the phone wouldn't turn on anymore. I plugged it in my computer but it did not recognize any USB device being plugged into it. It's as if I didn't plugged in the device at all. I've tried every button combination to reset the device as well as try other batteries and then tried the button combinations again to no avail. There was absolutely no response from the phone.

It was pretty obvious at that point that my Note was bricked. It's been only 2 weeks since I bought it and I'm really frustrated that this happened, especially now that I'm already hooked with Android coming from IOS devices for a while.

I decided to send it back to a Samsung Service Center for their evaluation. The front line technicians couldn't get my device to turn on as well. The attendee told me that they will have to keep the unit for further evaluation and told me that I have to wait for 3 business days before informing me of the results. I'm hoping that they would just replace my device with a new one.

daaaaaaaang, i would cry... good luck!

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
daaaaaaaang, i would cry... good luck!

Thanks. Yep, I sobbed for a bit after the attendee told me they need to keep it for further evaluation and no service unit was available.

My hunch on what happened to my Note was that it was writing to the flash when the power went out and did not get the chance to finish the write cycle. Thus, the unit was left out with a corrupted flash. I'm thinking that the OS should have prevented this from happening since it should know that the battery is about to die out. Moreover, even if the main flash got corrupted, there should have been a different controller (MCU, FPGA or similar) apart from the main processor which contain a boot loader code of some sort that would kick in to enable recovery of the device even if the main flash is corrupted.

I've been browsing through other threads under the SGN forum pertaining to units that won't respond to key presses to reset the device or to enter into downloading mode. I'm now lead to believe that there is no redundant system inside the Note that will ensure device recovery. Can anybody here who knows the hardware on the Note confirm or debunk this? Anybody from Samsung here?

I've been working with IOS devices (different iPhones) for a while now and had, on a number of occasions, made mistakes in jailbreaking the device but I would always be able to trust that I could re-enter DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode with some key press combinations and be able to recover the device completely. I think this is absent on the Note.

I was hoping that the Note had this feature.

RommaS

Jan 2, 2012
Moscow
I have the same problem. At the morning a tried to turn on my SGN, but no response. All th simptoms the same: no charging, no reactions to buttons combinations, no PC detection.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
I have the same problem. At the morning a tried to turn on my SGN, but no response. All th simptoms the same: no charging, no reactions to buttons combinations, no PC detection.

Can you describe what exactly happened before you bricked your SGN? Have you done any further evaluations so far or have you sent your unit to the service center too?

I'm just curious, where did you get your SGN from? I'm from the Philippines and got mine from Abenson's.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I get additional information from the service center.

Good luck to us.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I'm not sure if our problem is somehow related to this as well:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1422781

This is regarding a faulty USB interface. Could it be a weak USB interface circuit design or a weak bootloader implementation? The root cause will certainly be useful so that we can take extra precautions in the future as we work with the SGN.

sunnysurya

Oct 12, 2009
Bangalore
OnePlus 7
same problem

I have the note, just a week old.
was reading a book when the display went all bizzare.
I had to remove the battery to shut it down.
Never got it to boot so far..

PC does not detect it and it doesn't charge either..

I am taking it to the service center in the morning, will update everyone on what they say.

RommaS

Jan 2, 2012
Moscow
Can you describe what exactly happened before you bricked your SGN? Have you done any further evaluations so far or have you sent your unit to the service center too?

I'm just curious, where did you get your SGN from? I'm from the Philippines and got mine from Abenson's.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I get additional information from the service center.

Good luck to us.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I'm not sure if our problem is somehow related to this as well:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1422781

This is regarding a faulty USB interface. Could it be a weak USB interface circuit design or a weak bootloader implementation? The root cause will certainly be useful so that we can take extra precautions in the future as we work with the SGN.
I traveled at the train on vacation and connected my SGN to this device for charging and it became charging. At the morning I tried to power on SGN but it was bricked. I'm from Russia but now I'm in Ukrain and can't send my SGN to service center.

sunnysurya

Oct 12, 2009
Bangalore
OnePlus 7
After the visit to the service center.

I have the note, just a week old.
was reading a book when the display went all bizzare.
I had to remove the battery to shut it down.
Never got it to boot so far..

PC does not detect it and it doesn't charge either..

I am taking it to the service center in the morning, will update everyone on what they say.

Hey guys,
updating as promised.
the service center tried to "upgrade" software: I guess that's code for flashed new ROM.

After which they told me that the "Motherboard" is being replaced and that I have to wait till tomorrow noon.

So there you are guys, Motherboard ;)

Will update further once I have more details.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
I called-up the local Samsung service center today to follow-up on my unit and informed me that they will be replacing the motherboard as well. They said that they already ordered the replacement board from Korea and should arrive within the next 3 days. Darn.

Although I'm happy that I will have my unit repaired, I'm still a bit worried that until the root cause is determined, I may end up with bricking my Note again given the same circumstances.

What part of the motherboard is responsible for bricking the device then? We need to get to the bottom of this in order to avoid the same thing from happening again or determine whether this is really because of a faulty hardware design.

sunnysurya

Oct 12, 2009
Bangalore
OnePlus 7
I agree..

I called-up the local Samsung service center today to follow-up on my unit and informed me that they will be replacing the motherboard as well. They said that they already ordered the replacement board from Korea and should arrive within the next 3 days. Darn.

Although I'm happy that I will have my unit repaired, I'm still a bit worried that until the root cause is determined, I may end up with bricking my Note again given the same circumstances.

What part of the motherboard is responsible for bricking the device then? We need to get to the bottom of this in order to avoid the same thing from happening again or determine whether this is really because of a faulty hardware design.

I agree Wolfmanx, I have asked for a detailed report on how this happened. Now that I know more people are facing the same issue, I will ask them for more details.

Cheers!

Monkey_banana

Jul 23, 2009
Almost same issue

I just got my phone delivered by Fedex. I unboxed it, slapped in the battery, charged it and tried to turn it on. The only thing that happened was the boot up chime. The screen never turned on and still won't light up. I can hear the sound all right, so I know the machine is not completely bricked, but the screen never activates and the 2 capacitive buttons never light up either.

It's really frustrating since I took the day off to play with it. Such a fine piece of hardware, but it seems to be very fragile and prone to problems.

Chrono_Tata

Sep 29, 2010
Hey guys. Not a regular user of the Note but my brother bought one about a week ago and got into the same issue some of you guys have had. Basically the Note was left uncharged (he plugged the Micro USB into the phone but forgot to plug the other end into a power source) overnight. When he woke up in the morning the phone was off, wouldn't turn on and didn't respond to any button combo. It also wouldn't charge even after trying with several different cables and leaving the cable in for several minutes.

Anyway we bought the phone back to the AIS (a carrier in Thailand) shop. Got to talk with a rather condescending salesperson who insisted that we had to take the phone to a Samsung customer service centre. Pretty frustrating experience but that's another story.

When we finally got to the Samsung repair centre, some technicians looked at the phone and determined that the battery has run flat out. This is not the normal "complete discharge" you would see in normal operation of a battery where there will be some voltage left in the battery. The battery was discharged completely in such a way that there was no voltage left which means that the charging mechanism on the phone doesn't detect any battery being inside the compartment.

Anyway the technician "jump-started" the battery by putting a bit of charge in it and after that the phone would charge and turn on fine. We were told that if the problem happens again leaving the phone in the charger for a while would fix the problem, and if that fails you can take the battery to a technician to jump-start it. Basically we can just avoid the problem by not draining the battery completely in the first place.

The customer service lady also claimed that this is a common problem for all Samsung phones, which is a bold-faced lie since I've owned several Samsung phones and never had any problem like this. Any decent electronic device should be designed to cut down the power before the battery has a chance to completely deplete in the first place anyway. It had been a long day by then so we didn't have the energy to call them out on this. We also didn't want to replace or repair the phone, since we are going abroad tomorrow and they don't have any new Galaxy Note in stock for immediate replacement.

So the root of the problem seems to be some sort of hardware or software problem that would cause the battery to occasionally completely drain. Not sure if this problem would affect all Galaxy Notes or just certain units. Since my brother will be keeping the same phone I will keep you guys updated if this problem happens again.

tl;dr, it's a problem with battery charging

Reactions: Ranafram

emignatius

Feb 20, 2009
Baguio
emignatius.blogspot.com
Hey guys. Not a regular user of the Note but my brother bought one about a week ago and got into the same issue some of you guys have had. Basically the Note was left uncharged (he plugged the Micro USB into the phone but forgot to plug the other end into a power source) overnight. When he woke up in the morning the phone was off, wouldn't turn on and didn't respond to any button combo. It also wouldn't charge even after trying with several different cables and leaving the cable in for several minutes.

Anyway we bought the phone back to the AIS (a carrier in Thailand) shop. Got to talk with a rather condescending salesperson who insisted that we had to take the phone to a Samsung customer service centre. Pretty frustrating experience but that's another story.

When we finally got to the Samsung repair centre, some technicians looked at the phone and determined that the battery has run flat out. This is not the normal "complete discharge" you would see in normal operation of a battery where there will be some voltage left in the battery. The battery was discharged completely in such a way that there was no voltage left which means that the charging mechanism on the phone doesn't detect any battery being inside the compartment.

Anyway the technician "jump-started" the battery by putting a bit of charge in it and after that the phone would charge and turn on fine. We were told that if the problem happens again leaving the phone in the charger for a while would fix the problem, and if that fails you can take the battery to a technician to jump-start it. Basically we can just avoid the problem by not draining the battery completely in the first place.

The customer service lady also claimed that this is a common problem for all Samsung phones, which is a bold-faced lie since I've owned several Samsung phones and never had any problem like this. Any decent electronic device should be designed to cut down the power before the battery has a chance to completely deplete in the first place anyway. It had been a long day by then so we didn't have the energy to call them out on this. We also didn't want to replace or repair the phone, since we are going abroad tomorrow and they don't have any new Galaxy Note in stock for immediate replacement.

So the root of the problem seems to be some sort of hardware or software problem that would cause the battery to occasionally completely drain. Not sure if this problem would affect all Galaxy Notes or just certain units. Since my brother will be keeping the same phone I will keep you guys updated if this problem happens again.

Actually, this is what happens to all rechargeable devices when completely drained and left that way for a long time. That's why I try to avoid calibrating batteries unless it's really necessary. But the technician is right, sometimes you only need to leave it plugged in to revive the battery. I've tried this a lot and I still get nervous every time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi all,

I just bought a brand new note (New Zealand, but believe it was imported via Hong Kong)

It was working fine for 2 days but today while using the camera app to take a photo the screen went black.

I have been unable to bring the display back up and have tried removing/re-inserting the battery etc to no avail. I called my phone from another number and it rings so believe this is a hardware fault with the screen or I guess possibly connection on a motherboard.

My question is: how can I retain my photos etc saved on the device? This is important to me. I also have corporate email accounts setup on there with saved passwords so do not want the phone going to be repaired without me disabling the accounts first.... i was not using an additional microSD card, just the built in memory.

Many thanks!

After moving from an iPhone4S my general experience is the phone is no where near the build quality despite having a nice display and impressive size ! ... considering going back now...

jeremy

Hope this helps someone... I managed to get the display back by removing the SIM card ! booted up again without any issues.. .so far.
    If the phone wants to start,you can do something. If absolutely no,then it is bad.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

Had that problem with my Evo, left it charging over night and the battery came back to life