[OVERCLOCK] [3-7-2012] dagkernel 0.2 CPU/GPU Overclock up to 1.94GHz

Search This thread

Eric-1987

Jul 6, 2009
Im sorry, but how does that help!? I've never had an android with notification light...I infer from the name that its a light that lights up when the screen is off and a notification comes up while the phone is sleeping? Interesting...so does BLN magically make the camera or the proximity/light sensors light up? or where does this light come from??

It comes from the buttons at the bottom of the phone. They light up/blink when you get a notification.

Truaim

Dec 27, 2010
Vancouver, WA
folded and rooted my device. pro kernel. digging the speed, look forward to battery testing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hey all, just picked up one of these beasts yesterday and flashed this kernel. I've got a kinda wierd reaction though. I'm not sure if its the kernel, or perhaps I removed an app I shouldn't have, but the phone got laggy as hell. The screen would have a hard time responding to my swipes. Another thing I did, was install adw ex as my launcher. any ideas, advice?

I restored to stock for now.

Thanks.

myarbro

Apr 13, 2011
Memphis
Yes, I am aware this increases the flash counter. I was too anxious and did it anyway lol. I also know that there is another that doesn't, but I don't want to go through it all again.

Do we have any clue as to whether we will be able to reset the counter with this kernel in the future?

Sent from my blazing fast 1.83ghz OC'd SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk.

myarbro

Apr 13, 2011
Memphis
Can you provide a list of what you removed? I have no idea if it would cause that, but somewhere on the Note forums is a link to a list of bloatware apps that are system safe to remove. I will try and dig it up when I have more time. Slavin at work atm. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pathtologos

Eric-1987

Jul 6, 2009
Yes, I am aware this increases the flash counter. I was too anxious and did it anyway lol. I also know that there is another that doesn't, but I don't want to go through it all again.

Do we have any clue as to whether we will be able to reset the counter with this kernel in the future?

Once we get ICS we can remove the file that stores the flash counter.

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon

Da_G addressed this in his other thread:

Read through Chainfire's link about the flash counter, well, I agree with him that it's not worth it to develop a method working on GB when it will work out of box on ICS, probably easier to wait Would require some modification of the mmc driver to allow access to the hidden partitions.​

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Can you provide a list of what you removed? I have no idea if it would cause that, but somewhere on the Note forums is a link to a list of bloatware apps that are system safe to remove. I will try and dig it up when I have more time. Slavin at work atm. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I found that list. Deleted pretty much all that was on there. Then, I deledted the accuweather, the buddies app, the crayon physics game (how ridiculous that they don't let you delete that!), ap mobile, at&T ready2go, Ciry id, Digital clock, downloads, email (widget and app), featured apps, kies air, media hub, mobile print, mini diary,talk, talkback, tw launcher, and yahoo finance.

Sorry if some of the ones I listed already appear on that "safe to remove" list. I just didn't have it right in front of me. These are all apps I've deleted before on the epic 4g touch without a problem. The only one I can think MIGHT have led to a problem, was deleting the tw launcher but I had already installed adw ex and made it my default.

songyop

Sep 17, 2010
Antutu crashing

Thank you for this wonderful over-clock-enabling present. It's working great now on my phone!

One question: For some reason, the Antutu Benchmark program keeps crashing while trying to check the CPU and Memory. Is there a way to fix this?
Quadrant program runs just fine, recording over 3600! Every other programs seem to run just fine.

Thanks again!

lowlidx50

Dec 7, 2010
Jefferson city Mo
I have the Dag clockwork now,is there a zip for the modified libraries as I have no experiance with adb. Also what can be achieved without the modded librarie files or is this not recommended.

Thanks to Dag and everyone that has been working on this.

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008
I found that list. Deleted pretty much all that was on there. Then, I deledted the accuweather, the buddies app, the crayon physics game (how ridiculous that they don't let you delete that!), ap mobile, at&T ready2go, Ciry id, Digital clock, downloads, email (widget and app), featured apps, kies air, media hub, mobile print, mini diary,talk, talkback, tw launcher, and yahoo finance.

Sorry if some of the ones I listed already appear on that "safe to remove" list. I just didn't have it right in front of me. These are all apps I've deleted before on the epic 4g touch without a problem. The only one I can think MIGHT have led to a problem, was deleting the tw launcher but I had already installed adw ex and made it my default.

I would venture a guess that twlauncher should not have been removed. And I've seen posts about the lag caused by Adw and other replacement launchers without an overclock kernel present on the phone.

My phone will eat your Apple!

songyop

Sep 17, 2010
Thank you for this wonderful over-clock-enabling present. It's working great now on my phone!

One question: For some reason, the Antutu Benchmark program keeps crashing while trying to check the CPU and Memory. Is there a way to fix this?
Quadrant program runs just fine, recording over 3600! Every other programs seem to run just fine.

Thanks again!
Well, clearing the application data and re-running it worked!
I now have Antutu score of 6961!

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
Hey all, just picked up one of these beasts yesterday and flashed this kernel. I've got a kinda wierd reaction though. I'm not sure if its the kernel, or perhaps I removed an app I shouldn't have, but the phone got laggy as hell. The screen would have a hard time responding to my swipes. Another thing I did, was install adw ex as my launcher. any ideas, advice?

I restored to stock for now.

Thanks.

See this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1516108

Some believe it has to do with the odd resolution that the non-OE lanuchers are having problems with. OC helps, but I hope those launchers are fixed properly over time.

Now that I'm writing in the kernel thread, my stock-rooted kernel is using about 2-3% battery each hour. For a having 2500 mAh battery, this phone's battery is disappointing. OC is great, but I am hopeful that someone will release a battery-optimized kernel soon...

Mohammad_Adib

Sep 8, 2011
Bellevue, WA
I would venture a guess that twlauncher should not have been removed. And I've seen posts about the lag caused by Adw and other replacement launchers without an overclock kernel present on the phone.

My phone will eat your Apple!

OMG, ADW EX, ADW and Espier, Go Launcher and Touchwiz4.5 all lag! Not to mention Launcher7...it is freaking shortened in width cuz it doesnt support 1280x800. WTH!????

Also, most gameloft games do not work. I am however using Chainfire 3D to run GTA III with 4xMSAA and it is still smooth as heck. i got 40.2 on Nenamark...is that good? I would expect higher of such a capable device!

Edit: is there anyway to like lower the LCD density so that apps run on 800x480? I can use bladebuddy or something. Also should i enable stagefright?

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
We need more kernel devs onboard...there are much greater things that can be done in addition to simply overclocked kernel with static undervolting.

HAVS, trickle charging, BFS/CFS, BFQ/CFQ IO schedulers, various CPU governors will make the Note 30% faster and 200% more battery efficient. Also, HDMI mirroring modules would allow us to mirror phone screen on HDTV for games, videos, etc'

sh4dow1

May 7, 2011
san jose
if i do the system root method that doesent trigger the flash counter Then my question is if i use mobile odin to flash this kernel will it increase the flash counter?can this be another method of flashing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

twopumpchump

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
We need more kernel devs onboard...there are much greater things that can be done in addition to simply overclocked kernel with static undervolting.

HAVS, trickle charging, BFS/CFS, BFQ/CFQ IO schedulers, various CPU governors will make the Note 30% faster and 200% more battery efficient. Also, HDMI mirroring modules would allow us to mirror phone screen on HDTV for games, videos, etc'

So let me make sure I understand you right...if we get some other devs besides Da_G to work on the kernel then my antutu score will go up from 7788 to 10,124? :eek: And my battery would only drain .8% overnight instead of the 4% it drains overnight now? :eek: I am impressed, I would like to meet this new super dev and get his/her autograph! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, this doubles as a root kernel (might as well keep the scripts in there since I already made 'em!), custom boot animations (/system/media/sanim.zip), init.d support.

Max speed is 1.94GHz. Max speed I've benchmarked stable at is 1.83GHz. Reboots at higher.. YMMV with voltage adjustments etc.

Stock speed on this kernel is 1566MHz, I have removed a lot of scaling overrides that Samsung added, so this should be a bit smoother than the stock kernel without OCing more than the slight default.

GPU is also OC'ed from 3d speed 266 -> 300 and 2d speed 200 -> 266.

I will be releasing a GUI soon with more advanced tweaking options for the kernel (it is compatible with existing tools like system tuner, fauxclock, setcpu, etc.)

Version 0.2 CWM Zip: http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2.zip
    Version 0.2 CWM Zip (with KALLSYMS + KALLSYMS_ALL for debugging) http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2-kallsyms.zip
    Version 0.2 CWM Zip (No root script, su, busybox in ramdisk) http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2-nosubusybox.zip

New stuffs:
    * BLN Support (Use BLN Control from market)
    * XZ Compression
    * CFQ Scheduler
    * New CPUFreq governors: smartassv2, lagfree
    Code:
    CWM Zip 0.1 [url=http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc.zip]Available here[/url]
    Odin Tar 0.1 [url=http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/pda-overclocked-dagkernel-v01.tar]here[/url]
    Modified libraries 0.1 [url=http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/modded-libs.tar.gz]here[/url].

Stock CWM zip (Stock Kernel and Libraries) Available here

CWM Flashing Instructions:
    CWM Install Instructions said:
    1.) Install CWM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1517134
    2.) Copy the cwm zip to your /sdcard/
    2.) Reboot into CWM either by issuing "adb reboot recovery" from command line, or loading ROM Manager app and choosing "Reboot into recovery", or by powering the device off and holding vol up+vol down and powering on.
    3.) From CWM, choose "install zip from internal sd card" then navigate to the cwm zip you copied in, select it
    4.) Select "reboot system"

Souce code available at: https://github.com/dagnarf/sgh-i717-dagkernel

Don't forget the donate link in my sig if you find this useful :)
    I never learn my lesson about providing an ETA, keep slipping! I've got BFQ, CFQ, smartassv2, etc. etc. in now, just dotting some i's and crossing some t's.. coming soon! Lowered some default voltages on the higher end of the scale (1.89+) also since some people have reported stability at lower voltages at those speeds.
    sgs kernel flasher will work if it read/writes to mmcblk0p8 (which is where the kernel lives on our device)

Here is version 0.2 CWM ZIP: http://m-s-j.net/dagnarf/cwm-sgh-i717-dagkernel-oc-v0.2.zip
    New stuffs:
    * BLN Support (Use BLN Control from market)
    * XZ Compression
    * CFQ Scheduler
    * New CPUFreq governors: smartassv2, lagfree
    Updated first post with CWM zip including libs so you no longer have to push via adb/odin. Will update shortly with a return-to-stock CWM zip.
    Long weekend.. working on a new build now ;)

HAVS is actually already built into the stock system. It scales according to demand from 3 separate units (the memory/bus subsystem, the GPU, and the CPU(s) )

The voltages you can set in system tuner/fauxclock/etc. only apply to the CPUs, once my app is out you'll be able to adjust GPU and L2 voltages/speeds as well.

The other governors etc. are coming shortly.. hopefully tonight ;)