[NEW APP] In-App Wifi Toggle

Search This thread

HaggleLad

Jan 14, 2010
www.oliverpearmain.com
I've just released my first app to the market. I would appreciate if some people could test it for me on different Android versions/phones?

In-App Wifi Toggle

Once installed you can enable or disable your Wifi connection instantly from any context (ie in the Browser application, from the home screen) by either

a) Long pressing the Search button
b) Pressing the Call button

A nice toast message is displayed stating whether the Wifi connection was enabled or disabled.

I wrote this app because I was fed up of launching an app, realising it would benefit from Wifi being enabled, having to return to the home screen, activate Wifi with the Power Control widget, long press the home button and select the app again to return. This app bypasses all of that with a single button press and doesn't interupt the application you're already in.

Would appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

Last edited:

titsmaster

Dec 1, 2009
Great job on this, was thinking about it yesterday.
I long-pressed the search button, cause I prefer having my call button free if I have to make a call in a hurry.

HaggleLad

Jan 14, 2010
www.oliverpearmain.com
Thanks for your feedback!

I would appreciate if people could tell me what phone/version and what button they are using to activate?

ATM Confirmed working on:
- Nexus One with Long Press of Search
- HTC Desire with Long Press of Search
- HTC G1 with Call Button

There are a lot of handsets out there that don't have a search button, which is why I wired up the call button as well. I appreciate that a lot of users would prefer to keep this wired to their main phone/contacts app however. I am currently looking into getting my app to hook the Camera button also but its not as easy as I would like.

Also, if you do find this app useful it'd be great if you could rate and leave a comment in the Android market, thx!

Also would anyone have any requirement for an equivalent app that toggles bluetooth or GPS? If so let me know, shouldn't be too hard to throw together.

Last edited:

sharpinho

Confirmed working on my GSM Hero, rooted running Villain 5.3. It works using both long press search and call button. Good app, saves me having to go back to home screen to turn on/of wifi!:D

Edit: When in Sense UI, everytime I press the phone soft button or call hardware button, I get the "complete using action" dialogue, which asks me to chose whether I want to access the dialer or In-App Wifi Toggle. Is there anyway you can make it so that its disabled on the home screen or when in Sense?

Last edited:

HaggleLad

Jan 14, 2010
www.oliverpearmain.com
Confirmed working on my GSM Hero, rooted running Villain 5.3. It works using both long press search and call button. Good app, saves me having to go back to home screen to turn on/of wifi!:D

Edit: When in Sense UI, everytime I press the phone soft button or call hardware button, I get the "complete using action" dialogue, which asks me to chose whether I want to access the dialer or In-App Wifi Toggle. Is there anyway you can make it so that its disabled on the home screen or when in Sense?

When the "Complete using action" dialogue appears you should get a list of potential apps and also a check box labelled "Use by default for this action". If you mark the check box before selecting your desired app you won't be prompted for the app again.

Note also: Once you've selected a default, you can only clear it by going into "Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > [App in Questions]" and hitting the "Clear Defaults" button.

StefanSarzio

Feb 1, 2010
I wrote this app because I was fed up of launching an app, realising it would benefit from Wifi being enabled, having to return to the home screen, activate Wifi with the Power Control widget, long press the home button and select the app again to return.

One can use Tasker (http://tasker.dinglisch.net/) to automatically have Wifi (or GPS, or whatever) enabled when using specific apps.

poor_red_neck

Feb 16, 2009
Raleigh, NC
WOW

Fantastic app!!! I've been waiting for this for a while!

I can confirm it works great on HTC Hero with FreshToast 2b2.

Long press call key as well as short press. I decided to keep short press going to the phone and long press for the wifi toggle.

THANK YOU!!! 5 Stars from me!

Hexjibber

Nov 25, 2009
Brighton

I would appreciate if people could tell me what phone/version and what button they are using to activate?

There are a lot of handsets out there that don't have a search button, which is why I wired up the call button as well. I appreciate that a lot of users would prefer to keep this wired to their main phone/contacts app however. I am currently looking into getting my app to hook the Camera button also but its not as easy as I would like.

Also, if you do find this app useful it'd be great if you could rate and leave a comment in the Android market, thx!

Also would anyone have any requirement for an equivalent app that toggles bluetooth or GPS? If so let me know, shouldn't be too hard to throw together.

Great idea and app, thanks a lot!

Would definitely be able to make use of a GPS one as well on my Desire as I use RunKeeper a lot but hate having to turn GPS on and off all the time! There is a feature in the app to turn on GPS but it takes you to the phone security settings for some reason?

Cheers! :)

ramcosca

Feb 8, 2010
Humacao
Fastest five stars I've ever given to something from the Market. Great job.

I was worried that it would affect my call button's usage but had totally forgotten that if Android has two different functions for the same button it asks you which function you want to use [and lets you set the default].

Long-press search button on myTouch 3G.

Great work!

Last edited:

HaggleLad

Jan 14, 2010
www.oliverpearmain.com
Just thought I would let you know that I have now released "In-App Bluetooth Toggle" to the market now.

I have also added an "In-App Toggle Donate" version so that anyone who wants to say thanks can purchase for 99p. The donate app combines both the bluetooth and wifi apps into one. Any donations are gratefully recieved.

As always I appreciate any feedback.

I will be looking into a GPS toggle in the near future however this will take longer as some hacking is involved.

rprata

Jan 12, 2005
Installed on my Nexus One running CM 5.0.6, works with long-press on search button just fine.. thanks for the app, great idea.

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA

Working as expected on my Sprint CDMA Hero running Fresh Toast 2.1 w/ custom GodMode x.29 kernel. Both long press shortcuts work (search and call).

As for an equivalent app, I don't really need bluetooth since I often have to re-open an app to get it to recognize a bluetooth connection I start after instead of prior to opening it. GPS on the other hand might be nice.

Thanks for the useful app! I was honestly thinking that an app like this would be great to have last week. :)

Last edited:

timehunter

Jun 15, 2007
Okay, so the HTC Incredible has no call button, and a long press of the search button is defaulted to activating the voice input for search. How about a long press of the Back button (which is the only button that does not already have a long press function)?

spiicoly

May 22, 2010
Ridgemont
Just installed on my HTC Incredible works with the long pressing of the search button. When you press the search button long it brings up (complete action using either the search or In-app wifi). It will turn on and off the wifi but doesn't connect the wifi stays in 3g mode. I have to go into settings/wireless & Networks/WI-FI settings and then it connects. So lets say if the WiFi is turned on and i use IN-APP WIFI it will turn it off just fine. If i try to turn it back on using IN-APP WIFI it will not revert unless i go into wifi settings. Great idea though sir i hope you can get it to work on the incredible

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Update i uninstalled it Cycled my phone off and on reinstalled it worked fine for awhile then went back to Lagging. Don't know if it conflicts with HTC's Wifi widget.

Last edited: