Android 4.4 KitKat is here! Sony Mobile confirms roll out!

Search This thread

jjpro45

Jan 18, 2013
Nuremberg
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Android KitKat is rolling out.
Quote from Sony Mobile:

"The next Sony software rollout for*Xperia Z Ultra,Xperia Z1*and*Xperia Z1 Compact*starts right about now*…

We’ve been working to build new Sony experiences on Google’s KitKat release to create some neat / sweet features (if we say so ourselves) – in addition to a few performance tweaks here & there, some of the functionality you can look forward to includes:

Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat*as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…We’ve added*our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface*– we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
We’re also*uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions*– bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration**– a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
Our*unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”,*with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select*– skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…"

More info available here: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/03...eria-z-ultra-xperia-z1-and-xperia-z1-compact/

No signs of tap2wake and other stuff from Xperia Z2.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coelijoeli

Apr 25, 2013
Since rollout is starting for our phone, when can we expect it?

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

TheQwertiest

Jan 21, 2012
Was only waiting for kitkat only if smartcall and tap to wake up were in it... I dont see the point of upgrading.. :S

Kitkat brings quite a performance increase and improves battery life as well, so it's not THAT useless ;)

Since rollout is starting for our phone, when can we expect it?
Depends on the region, but I think we would be seeing it in two weeks. Some of us might get the update today, others later...

Last edited:

aigaming

Oct 29, 2011
Belgrade
Kitkat brings quite a performance increase and improves battery life as well, so it's not THAT useless ;)

Depends on the region, but I think we would be seeing it in two weeks. Some of us might get the update today, others later...

Nothing in real life is true about that,kitkat is still buggy and has some battery drain problems,most of the people reported that they had less battery drain with 4.3 so we shall see(nexus 7 2013 kitkat user here)

Reactions: shysparrow

hash054

Dec 11, 2012
Islamabad
Xiaomi Poco F3

Not motivated enough.. battery life already a charm and performance already a beast.. so.. its not worth it to update 4.3 to 4.4 just for the sake of changing the number.. :p

vetko

Sep 6, 2012
Included in this software:
This upgrade for your Xperia™ smartphone includes many improvements, such as:
  • Introducing Android 4.4.2 KitKat with many new features and enhancements
  • Updated Camera application and overall tuning to improve the camera experience
  • Enhanced email app
  • Stability, performance & battery improvements

Source: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-z1-compact/

Can't wait to get feedback about the (potential) improvements on the camera! :cyclops:

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Not motivated enough.. battery life already a charm and performance already a beast.. so.. its not worth it to update 4.3 to 4.4 just for the sake of changing the number.. :p

I don't think that you don't want even better battery life :p.
Also, there are other improvements (like with the camera), new features, as quoted in my prev. post.

Last edited:
Reactions: banvetor

banvetor

Jan 6, 2011
Trento, Italy
Any info on how Sony is handling the whole microSD debacle with its 4.4 KitKat firmware?

I use my microSD to store music and videos only, but I'm wondering if the 4.4 firmware can get me any problems with wifi syncing software (AirDroid, Cheetah Sync), or any 3rd party media player such as MX Player...

vetko

Sep 6, 2012
downloading update now, i will make FTF :)

Would you be so kind to test the camera improvements after update? Maybe the new version fixes the blurriness, noisiness and low light performance of the camera :) I wouldn't expect to remove the flash bleed but... who knows... maybe they played with the flash timing somehow...

guap

Sep 23, 2007
Milano
I will not update till having a safe and certain way to roll back and a rooted 4.4 rom... My 4.3 stock with root is almost perfect, no reason to change after reading the changelog. Just curiosity :p

guap

Sep 23, 2007
Milano
oh noooo that f..ugly "new" quicksettings :eek: Why should I need a separate tab for them!?!?

Roker1

Jan 18, 2013
Do you see any improvement in camera photos? Are there any new features like background defocus?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android KitKat is rolling out.
    Quote from Sony Mobile:

"The next Sony software rollout for*Xperia Z Ultra,Xperia Z1*and*Xperia Z1 Compact*starts right about now*…

We’ve been working to build new Sony experiences on Google’s KitKat release to create some neat / sweet features (if we say so ourselves) – in addition to a few performance tweaks here & there, some of the functionality you can look forward to includes:

Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat*as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…We’ve added*our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
    If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface*– we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
    We’re also*uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions*– bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
    Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration**– a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
    Our*unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”,*with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select*– skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…"

More info available here: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/03...eria-z-ultra-xperia-z1-and-xperia-z1-compact/

even in xperia z and z1 UK are always behind in updates :(

UK unbranded here and got update via sony seus on two Z1Cs.
    Hmm, I have to admit it's very weird seeing you guys complain about battery duration on KK. I updated my Z1C to 4.4.2 last night via PC Companion, and I have to say there are plenty of improvements. Extended battery life, A LOT better camera quality (I was utterly disappointed by the quality on 4.3) and less RAM usage (On 4.3 there was approx. 900-930mb of RAM used, and on 4.4 it's literally 200mb less. Exactly 723mb as I'm typing this).

And while this is subjective, and I'm not saying it is, or is not, a bad 'upgrade', I got used to the new Quick toggles very soon.

Anyway, just my two cents.
    ART

It's a shame, but I can remember reading somewhere in some blog that ART will only be available on Nexus phones (and Motorola i guess) for now

It's included in the CyanogenMod 11 nightlies.

Meh... That would kinda suck... Dev would've to port tap2wake from Z2\Z into custom kernel (which we still don't have) and that might take quite a looooong time =(