[CAR] Best unofficial car dock / phone holder

Search This thread

geenyous

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
As the official dock is way too expensive imo, I thought I'd start a thread where people can post their unofficial car docks they bought and the experiences they made.

So far I came across two docks, the [CAR] Passive holder from Brodit (2nd pic)
and one I found on ebay, sent from Hong Kong (pic below): Windscreen Car mount small (1st pic with text "one X")
This one also can be bought with various different mounting options. I am not sure how easy it will be to dock and undock the phone in the mount though, looks rather tight.

I think I will wait some more days / weeks before I'll buy something.

Any other car kits you guys found?

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,739
  • Brodit_passive.jpg
    Brodit_passive.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,797
Last edited:

geenyous

Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
2nd looks pretty decent for a cheap mount
the problem is it's being sent from HKG, if customs here decide to have a look at it I end up paying CHF 35.- (double the amount that thing costs) customs service fee, I almost might as well buy an official one :mad:

I would get this one, but I need a seller here in Europe.

maxseemo

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
Hey this one is low cost and will do the job:
ebay swivel one x holder
ViewImage.aspx

I used ot use it with my old DHD which now feels so ridiculously heavy!
You can mount it witht he provided suction that holds well enough.
Or if you buy some 3m automotive grade double sided tape
You can mount it on other places that don't have a smooth glass finish.
I had it stuck on plastic trim near the driver door/window.
The surface was mildly bumpy but that 3m held on well until the day I removed it.
Popping the phone in and out, and rotating it with force didn't budge it!

Out of curiosity I also purchased this one:
2508d1w.jpg

Those protruding clips can probably come off easily.
Some 3m on that flat surface and it will probably stick anywhere.
I like this one because it sticks out and gives a greater range of movement / angle.
Secured near the door you can have your arm rested on the seal and access the phone easily.
Unlike the official (or any other suction windscreen mounted one) which forces you to lean towards it awkwardly.

geenyous

Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
2508d1w.jpg

I like this one because it sticks out and gives a greater range of movement / angle.
Secured near the door you can have your arm rested on the seal and access the phone easily.
Unlike the official (or any other suction windscreen mounted one) which forces you to lean towards it awkwardly.
How easily can you mount and demount the phone in this one?
I am also looking into getting this one, I also already have the cradle, would you mind taking a pic without the phone in it for me to see if it would fit for my cradle (with my old mount I could simply take away the "case" which held the phone, was secured with 4 rectangular holes in roughly 2.5 cm distance to each other)?

maxseemo

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
I am also looking into getting this one, I also already have the cradle, would you mind taking a pic without the phone in it for me to see if it would fit for my cradle (with my old mount I could simply take away the "case" which held the phone, was secured with 4 rectangular holes in roughly 2.5 cm distance to each other)?

Hey sorry I should have stated that I only purchased. Still waiting for it to arrive.
It does function how you describe though...
idr7fb.jpg

Reactions: geenyous

geenyous

Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
Hey sorry I should have stated that I only purchased. Still waiting for it to arrive.
idr7fb.jpg
Great find, thanks!

I will have to wait for it to pop up in Europe, if I buy from HKG I risk having to show it to customs which will cost me too much to justify... :mad:

rikardo1979

Jan 29, 2009
Poole, UK
using this1 ( swivel one) with my NS at the moment and will use it with my new One X in two days ;) once it arrive :)
Cheap and do the job, no need to change all the time you change phone so good. Before I use to buy a car holder for each phone I had and than sold it with but after I bought this no need :) as it hold all the phones very well
:cool:

ebay swivel one x holder
ViewImage.aspx

The surface was mildly bumpy but that 3m held on well until the day I removed it.

2508d1w.jpg

geenyous

Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
using this1 ( swivel one) with my NS at the moment and will use it with my new One X in two days ;) once it arrive :)
Cheap and do the job, no need to change all the time you change phone so good. Before I use to buy a car holder for each phone I had and than sold it with but after I bought this no need :) as it hold all the phones very well
Just ordered one on amazon myself.
Your comment about not having to change the holder all the time convinced me and also the minimalistic design / small size.

This one has a hole for the camera and possibly can be used a support for shooting a video from the dashboard.
Just a thought.
It can definitely be used for that (did it with my HD2 myself), but the swivel one will also not cover the camera lense.
Just don't film yourself doing anything stupid... ;)

Last edited:

maxseemo

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
Arkon has a bunch of mounts for the One X, windshield mounts, dash, cupholder, they even have a micro usb lighter socket mount: http://arkon.com/htc One X/

Hey thanks for finding that.
This one here is pretty much spot on to what I been looking for:
mobile-grip-htc-one-x-car-mount.jpg

The way them brackets expand in their demo video looks like it will hold a phone even if it's in a tpu case.

They ship outside of US too but the best part is that they allow you to use your own fedex/ups account.

maxseemo

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
idr7fb.jpg

Btw this one arrived... 6 days transit, not bad for HK.
The item is not the best though.
The neck is more stiff then my first erection when I discovered p0rn. Hard to bend.
The phone sits well tight in the bracket but putting it in feels like I'm going to damage the phone.
Not the best. Ebay didn't deliver.. usually they only have quality true? lol

Anyway, I will purchase that one from Arkon. Looks decent and can cater to multiple phones.

Reactions: geenyous
I've just found the following item on eBay which may be of interest to UK HOX owners:

[Unfortunately I can't post a link as I haven't posted more than 8 times on this forum]

Search eBay for item no: 360454478820

£5.95 free postage within 2-3 working days.

Looks to be the same item/design as the on in the OP

I'll be placing my order today and will post again with feedback hopefully by the end of the week :)

rikardo1979

Jan 29, 2009
Poole, UK
not bad this is, use to have one of these for my old HTC HD2 ;)
only problem is when you change your phone for something different,new than you have to sell this with the phone ;) and buy a new one again.
So I've decide to go for some universal accessories as I was tired of changing the holders,dockings, chargers all the time. Especially in car access. as I always ended with reinstalling cabels, holders, etc..
But good solution for someone who don't mind to change or who's not changing phones often :)

I've just found the following item on eBay which may be of interest to UK HOX owners:

[Unfortunately I can't post a link as I haven't posted more than 8 times on this forum]

Search eBay for item no: 360454478820

£5.95 free postage within 2-3 working days.

Looks to be the same item/design as the on in the OP

I'll be placing my order today and will post again with feedback hopefully by the end of the week :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA

Last edited:

mvdarend

Sep 27, 2008
Ede
www.startpage.ie
The phone sits well tight in the bracket but putting it in feels like I'm going to damage the phone.

Could you check the back of the phone holder itself, I ordered one just like yours and it has 'G21' stamped on the back. (G21 is the Sensation XL)

I can manage to get the phone in, but the fit is so tight I'm scared the screen will crack when I hit the first bump in the road...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ebay swivel one x holder
    ViewImage.aspx

2508d1w.jpg

Yes i'm very satifsied with this brodit dock.

I noticed one thing. Sometimes when i use the gear box, my hand touches the cables of the charger, not that much but it happens. I have to place my charger cable carefully to avoid that.

The best point is the that the phone is just in front of the right central airflow
    passenger will have less fresh air ... :D

Passenger space is not reduced that much, but it happens that he touches the dock when he has something with him, a bag or something else. The dock is not "locked" and only fixed a little tight so it don't move that much and can be replaced easily and even turned in landscape mode.

For the CD, to be honest, i didn't tried to remove it or insert it :D
    but i don't think there is any problems in "portrait" mode.

I will try to insert/remove a CD to see if there is a problem
    and take some photos from passenger view.

I don't like those "sticky" docks that mark the windshield or "hides" the pastic from sun, and leave a mark when definitely removed.

I already had that type of dock on a Skoda Octavia, and it was very practical too in this "passenger" position.

;)

idr7fb.jpg
    Arkon has a bunch of mounts for the One X, windshield mounts, dash, cupholder, they even have a micro usb lighter socket mount: http://arkon.com/htc One X/

mobile-grip-htc-one-x-windshield-moun-in-cart.jpg
    Thanks for the pics and the list of various bits needed, I have one question, how do you attach the Herbert Richter clip to the Brodit ProClip, did you need to drill 4 holes for the screws or are there already pre-drilled holes on the ProCLip, or is it plastic that is easy to screw the screws into?

thanks in advance

The Brodit ProClip doesn't have any holes, it's just a plain flat surface. The Herbert Richter mount comes with 4 self-tapping screws, and has 4 holes pre-drilled.

You simply fit the ProClip to the car as per the instructions provided by Brodit, then place the Herbert Richter mount against the ProClip mount, place your first screw through one of the pre-drilled holes on the Herbert Richter mount. Apply gentle pressure to the screw with a screwdriver and start screwing into the Proclip mount behind.

Repeat with the other 3 screws and you're done.