T-Mobile MotoMaker vs. Dev Edition

• Thread starter Deleted member 4333722
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 4333722

I'm sure everybody already knows this, but just to confirm, here is a conversation with a Motorola rep I had:

Carl: Hi, my name is Carl. How may I help you?
Trevor: I was curious: what's the difference between the T-Mobile moto x and the developer editions, since both of their bootloaders are unlockable?
Carl: I will be more than happy to assist you on this.
Trevor: Is there any difference, because it's tempting to get a T-Mobile version so it can actually be customized.
Carl: The Developer Edition will have an unlocked Bootloader and the Developer Edition GSM will be unlocked with most GSM carriers.
Carl: The Developer Edition Verizon, will be locked with Verizon but will be unlocked for any non-US SIM cards.
Trevor: I use at&t, a GSM carrier, so I know after unlocking the bootloader on a T-Mobile phone, the carrier settings can be bypassed *and used on my network. But are there any actual hardware differences between the dev and T-Mobile versions? The way I understand it, they'll both have unlockable bootloaders.
Carl: The Developer Edition will only come with the 32 GB version.
Trevor: That's fine. I'd get a 32 GB T-Mobile version too. But am I right? The T-Mobile version is also bootloader unlockable, isn't it?
Carl: The MotoMaker Moto X will come with 16GB and 32GB.
Carl: Yes.
Carl: The MotoMaker Verizon and AT&T have a locked Bootloader.
Trevor: So why would I get the Dev version? Wouldn't it be smarter to get a T-Mobile version and unlock the bootloader AND have the benefit of getting a prettier phone?
Carl: Unlocking the Bootloader will void the warranty.
Carl: The Developer Edition will be unlocked for any GSM carriers right away.
Carl: With the Moto X MotoMaker version, you'll need to unlock the Bootloader first.
Carl: You'll also need the Subsidy unlock Code from the carrier to have it unlocked.
Trevor: Okay, so there's that. Are there limitations on using different bands of LTE , HSPA+ and HSPA with the T-Mobile phone on at&t's network?
Carl: Both versions will support these bands: GSM/GPRS/EDGE - UMTS/HSPA + up to 42 Mbps - CDMA/EVDO Rev. A (CDMA model only) - 4G LTE
Trevor: So they're essentially the same, if just void the warranty, and need a carrier unlock.
Carl: Correct.

I wonder how hard it is to unlock the carrier settings after the bootloader...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited by a moderator:

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
99% sure the T-Mo version comes SIM unlocked from the factory. Many have already answered this. I can confirm again today though. Already have a Developer Edition and my customized T-Mo edition is coming in today. I'm on AT&T so I'll know pretty quickly if it's locked to T-Mo.

funmerlin

Jan 20, 2011
I wonder how knowledgeable the website chat guys are. On Monday I had this conversation (copy and pasted exact, but names removed). I asked him specifically about the unlocked boot loader and voided warranty on the T-Mobile motomaker phone:
him: TMobile Edition supports the unlockable bootloader.
him: We have a new update for the warranty on the unlocked bootloader.
him: The warranty is no longer voided.

me: Is that on all phones and not just the developer phones?
me: If so that is excellent

him: That is for the phones that it is supporting the unlock boot loader but not for all phones.

I read that to mean that if you can unlock the boot loader using the supported process, you can do it without voiding the warranty.

After finding the unlock page and reading it, I think he's wrong....or at least, misleading. Unlocking non-dev edition phones seems to void your warranty, full stop. But I'd love it if he is right...

r_diaz13

Sep 30, 2012
I wonder how knowledgeable the website chat guys are. On Monday I had this conversation (copy and pasted exact, but names removed). I asked him specifically about the unlocked boot loader and voided warranty on the T-Mobile motomaker phone:

I read that to mean that if you can unlock the boot loader using the supported process, you can do it without voiding the warranty.

After finding the unlock page and reading it, I think he's wrong....or at least, misleading. Unlocking non-dev edition phones seems to void your warranty, full stop. But I'd love it if he is right...

I'll tell you Dec 16th, my delivery date for my T mo motomaker customized baby that I'll be using with att. ( until march of next year when the contract is up and I'm giving att the boot for aio or straight talk)

Sent from the second to last Galaxy
PACman Rom Nightlies
AJK 4.9 "the boss"

D

Deleted member 4333722

I'm starting to notice there is a lot of incompetence in their customer care. I still haven't managed to get any help getting my order shipped after a week. I'm starting to lose hope. Has anybody had any luck getting their shipping expedited?

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
ps. cant unlock bootloader on tmobile....and customer service at moto say its locked and not unlockable.

Last edited:

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
Not that it's a huge deal but the VZW version is not SIM locked. You can use it on att/tmo without a need for unlocking the device contrary to what this conversation says.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

tonyguy2000

Dec 11, 2010
99% sure the T-Mo version comes SIM unlocked from the factory. Many have already answered this. I can confirm again today though. Already have a Developer Edition and my customized T-Mo edition is coming in today. I'm on AT&T so I'll know pretty quickly if it's locked to T-Mo.

Did your phone come in and is it locked to T-mo?

D

Deleted member 4333722

Hmm. With all of the mixed results on here, I'm not feeling as dumb about just getting the Dev Edition. I'd rather not risk getting another bootlocked phone like I did with my S4 Active (because the bootloader unlock on that phone is going SO well).

Cubfan99

Jun 12, 2010
I have been told by several Google reps on G+ that the only difference between the Tmo version and the Dev is that the warranty remains after unlocking the Dev. I believe them so I ordered one. We will see. Also have the Dev version coming. One is going back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

sunnycheeba

Dec 4, 2012
I have been told by several Google reps on G+ that the only difference between the Tmo version and the Dev is that the warranty remains after unlocking the Dev. I believe them so I ordered one. We will see. Also have the Dev version coming. One is going back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Dear Motorola, what is the sense in a different warranty for ostensibly the same phone? It would maybe make some sense if there was some sort of qualification needed to purchase the 'Developer Edition' phone, but there isn't. I feel like getting a signature on my T-Mobile Moto Maker version...my signature will be "DEVELOPER EDITION". I plan on unlocking the boot loader of my phone and I would like Motorola to give me a rational reason why my warranty should be nullified if I do. Different colors and or letters printed on the back are not rational reasons to cancel a warranty.

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
Dear Motorola, what is the sense in a different warranty for ostensibly the same phone? It would maybe make some sense if there was some sort of qualification needed to purchase the 'Developer Edition' phone, but there isn't. I feel like getting a signature on my T-Mobile Moto Maker version...my signature will be "DEVELOPER EDITION". I plan on unlocking the boot loader of my phone and I would like Motorola to give me a rational reason why my warranty should be nullified if I do. Different colors and or letters printed on the back are not rational reasons to cancel a warranty.

Neither are 15mph school speed zones.They are completely ridiculous and traps for wrong doers, but it's the law. It's Moto/Carrier's law. Just the way it is.

By the way I agree with you, but it's the way it is. Dev only if you want bootloader unlock + warranty. End of discussion.

Dioxcyde

Dec 8, 2013
I'm sure everybody already knows this, but just to confirm, here is a conversation with a Motorola rep I had:

Carl: The Developer Edition will have an unlocked Bootloader and the Developer Edition GSM will be unlocked with most GSM carriers.

Just as a note, the bootloader is not PRE unlocked, it still requires you to do so using a code acquired from the moto site using fastboot and a command console.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
You have the tmobile version and can't unlock the bootloader?

Yes, they assured me that its a mistake and their website is wrong....

But as one guy said, I need to wait for my device to be added to their bootloader unlock database. So far I can't unlock it.

kg6zvp

Dec 17, 2013
Yes, they assured me that its a mistake and their website is wrong....

But as one guy said, I need to wait for my device to be added to their bootloader unlock database. So far I can't unlock it.

Wait, a mistake as in you can unlock the bootloader without voiding your warranty with the T-mobile edition? Or, wrong as in you can unlock the bootloader and void your warranty in the process?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am under the impression that the T-Mobile motomaker is already unlocked(carrier) and Carl is a big fat lying jerk.
    I have a 32gb gsm unlocked Moto X (XT1053 same as T-Mobile). I asked a friend of mine to buy it from US cause I love in Romania. I use it with Orange and everything works great, even 4G. But I'm wondering the same thing, what's the difference between my phone and the dev edition? I will never send the phone for warranty so I don't need it. Also how can I know if my bootloader is unlockable?
    Thank you!

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You have the XT1053, since it's the network unlocked version, the bootloader is unlockable. If you want to unlock it you can do it here: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...e/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/action/auth

There isn't any difference except with dev edition you don't lose warrenty for unlocking bootloader.

If you don't intend to root or anything then you may not need to unlock the bootloader, a locked bootloader is more secure if you phone is stolen.