[Q] Galaxy Player 3.6 Stuck in Bootloop

Search This thread

k42376

Jun 23, 2014
I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6 US version(with capacitive home button) with a not rooted stock ROM. It is currently stuck in a boot loop but will boot into recovery and download mode. I have no user data backup and I don't want to loose my app data. I can access recovery mode's ADB (which is limited) but can't get to normal ADB because the boot loop repeats too fast (my computers ding to indicate the device just before the boot loop repeats). I have tried removing the battery for an hour or two but it didn't change anything and the battery is fully charged.

Is there any way to boot a custom ROM (Cyanogenmod or others) from my 16GB micro SD-Card or to freeze the boot loop to use ADB. Or is there another solution that doesn't require using the factory restore and wiping my app data ? I have PC's running Linux Mint 16, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows XP.

troy5890

Jun 14, 2014
ASUS ZenFone 6 (2019)
Sony Xperia 1 III
You can try and flash a kernel that has cwm in it and download a custom ROM from another source like your computer. Then you can put that custom ROM in the internal or external storage and flash. Try to get a recovery that will ask you to root the device first or try superoneclick to root it.

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Free mobile app

k42376

Jun 23, 2014
You can try and flash a kernel that has cwm in it and download a custom ROM from another source like your computer. Then you can put that custom ROM in the internal or external storage and flash. Try to get a recovery that will ask you to root the device first or try superoneclick to root it.

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Free mobile app

So if I follow,

1) boot into recovery mode and install clock work mod custom recovery zip file from the external SD card.
2) Then I would use CWM to flash a custom ROM from the external SD card

Would installing CWM and/or flashing the custom ROM wipe the user data?

Does CWM include a full ADB interface unlike the stock recovery?

Thanks

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
So if I follow,

1) boot into recovery mode and install clock work mod custom recovery zip file from the external SD card.
2) Then I would use CWM to flash a custom ROM from the external SD card

Would installing CWM and/or flashing the custom ROM wipe the user data?

Does CWM include a full ADB interface unlike the stock recovery?

Thanks

Actually you have to boot into download mode and flash the kernel.tar that contains CWM through Odin or Heimdall...then you'll have to boot into CWM and mount your internel sdcard because as of gingerbread...the compatible CWM version cannot flash files from external sdcard
And yes full adb access, even root and shell is available through CWM.

Sent from my XT760

k42376

Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for all the help. This is my son's Galaxy Player and he'd really like to back up the existing data before doing anything that will wipe it.

He's wondering if installing CWM would wipe the user data. Will doing that wipe the user data?

If it would then maybe there is a way to backup the user data through the adb-recovery mode before installing CWM?

He had one last question before trying to install CWM. He was wondering if it's possible to connect it to the PC and use adb to freeze/stop the boot loop (perhaps through a script that tries to connect to the player before it boots again).

Thanks again.

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks for all the help. This is my son's Galaxy Player and he'd really like to back up the existing data before doing anything that will wipe it.

He's wondering if installing CWM would wipe the user data. Will doing that wipe the user data?

If it would then maybe there is a way to backup the user data through the adb-recovery mode before installing CWM?

He had one last question before trying to install CWM. He was wondering if it's possible to connect it to the PC and use adb to freeze/stop the boot loop (perhaps through a script that tries to connect to the player before it boots again).

Thanks again.

Nope...installing CWM would do nothing to the user data. And no, there is no way to stop a bootloop through adb, even if you have an insecure kernel

k42376

Jun 23, 2014
CWM for 3.6 version

Okay - one more question.
We can't find a version of CWM or TWRP that list support for the Galaxy Player 3.6. They appear to support the other sizes (4.0, 4.2 and 5.0).

Does anyone know if those support the 3.6?

thanks

obscuresword

Jun 24, 2012

Thanks again.

Usually to stop a boot loop you have to wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick

Sent from my YP-G1 using XDA Free mobile app