[Q] Opera Mobile vs. Dolphin and Landscape

Search This thread

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I think I've tried every browser that will install on a rooted NT. I'm down to Opera Mobile (and Classic Mobile--are they the same but from different markets??) and Dolphin.

I like Opera because I can zoom and save my aging eyes a bit. I hate Opera because I prefer to browse in landscape mode and I have yet to find a rotation locking app that will keep Opera steady. It flips and flops, back and forth at unexpected times. And, of course, there is no setting in Opera for orientation. Right now I'm using Tasker to invoke first Wi-Fi and then the Rotation Locker plugin. It works almost always on opening and sometimes stays...but not always.

Is there something that will ALWAYS keep Opera Mobile in landscape?

I like Dolphin (although I once discarded it) because it CAN be locked into landscape and will STAY there. I love that I can set the lower hardware buttons to Volume control and Dolphin will scroll with them. Flash is sort of amusing (hooray I got it working!), but it's not a good reason to stay with Dolphin. I hate Dolphin because it has no way to zoom--except that it does, but only on its own terms. It automatically zooms when you need to do something like a form entry. In the Settings panel the admonition to show the zoom buttons is ignored. You can assign a gesture to Zoom. It will reproduce it and confirm that your scribble on the screen is a "match", but it ignores all gestures as far as I can tell.

Have I missed something with Dolphin? Is there a way to zoom on a screen?

Have I missed another browser that is actually working as "well" as these two?

[SOLVED ZOOM!] OMG! Dolphin does respond to gestures if you're not an idiot like me. Tapping the "dolphin" button in the bottom left corner gives three options. The middle one goes to a blank screen on which to draw a gesture and after you have done so, it returns to the current browser tab with the effect done! So you can program a "Z" or something for "zoom" and it WORKS!!!!!!!!! (so do all the other gestures, if you can remember that many)

Last edited:

prosty

Oct 6, 2007
Hey,
How did you manage to install flash plugin for dolphin? I though it only works with android 2.3+

richardcoop

Jan 13, 2014
I think I've tried every browser that will install on a rooted NT. I'm down to Opera Mobile (and Classic Mobile--are they the same but from different markets??) and Dolphin.

I like Opera because I can zoom and save my aging eyes a bit. I hate Opera because I prefer to browse in landscape mode and I have yet to find a rotation locking app that will keep Opera steady. It flips and flops, back and forth at unexpected times. And, of course, there is no setting in Opera for orientation. Right now I'm using Tasker to invoke first Wi-Fi and then the Rotation Locker plugin. It works almost always on opening and sometimes stays...but not always.

I like Dolphin (although I once discarded it) because it CAN be locked into landscape and will STAY there. I love that I can set the lower hardware buttons to Volume control and Dolphin will scroll with them. Flash is sort of amusing (hooray I got it working!), but it's not a good reason to stay with Dolphin. I hate Dolphin because it has no way to zoom--except that it does, but only on its own terms. It automatically zooms when you need to do something like a form entry. In the Settings panel the admonition to show the zoom buttons is ignored. You can assign a gesture to Zoom. It will reproduce it and confirm that your scribble on the screen is a "match", but it ignores all gestures as far as I can tell.

[SOLVED ZOOM!] OMG! Dolphin does respond to gestures if you're not an idiot like me. Tapping the "dolphin" button in the bottom left corner gives three options. The middle one goes to a blank screen on which to draw a gesture and after you have done so, it returns to the current browser tab with the effect done! So you can program a "Z" or something for "zoom" and it WORKS!!!!!!!!! (so do all the other gestures, if you can remember that many)

I've had good luck with "rotation locker". You have to long press the middle landscpe mode button (which on my nst has no text) to keep Opera running in the background. It then forces Opera back into the landscape mode despite disturbing events

Reactions: nmyshkin

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hey,
How did you manage to install flash plugin for dolphin? I though it only works with android 2.3+

I can't take credit for this (original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1555549), but I may be able to smooth out the edges that this noob found a little intimidating.

1. Follow the link given in the post linked above to download the "flashupdate_signed.zip" file. Ignore the rest of the stuff there.
2. Unzip that file. You will need the three Flash plugin apks in the /system/app folder. They go on your SD card for installation later.
3. You can also copy the three .so files in the /system/lib folder to your SD card (or dropbox, or use ADB, etc.) These will need to be placed in the /system/lib folder of the Nook so you need Root Browser or similar with SuperUser rights.
4. When you have moved the three .so files to /system/lib on the Nook check that their permissions are the same as other files in that folder. Mine were not and I had to change the permissions to match the other files.
5. Reboot
6. Install the three Flash apks.

Note, this shows up as Flash 10.1 in my ADW Manager but when I go to test it seems to be 9.x. It works some places and not others, but I find that's true of older Flash plugins anyway.

Don't forget that you have to enable Flash in the Settings for Dolphin as well.

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
I have just installed "rotation locker" on my NST, and it works just fine with both Opera Mobile and my PDF readers. Thank you! I assess it through a long-press of my top-left Nook Button, and can switch back and forth between portrait and landscape modes at whim.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I've had good luck with "rotation locker". You have to long press the middle landscpe mode button (which on my nst has no text) to keep Opera running in the background. It then forces Opera back into the landscape mode despite disturbing events

I didn't understand this at first but I was able to set Tasker to use this background option of Rotation Locker just for the few apps (like Opera Mobile and Crosswords(US) that resisted locking into landscape. Works like a charm! Thanks for the tip:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.