Battery Calibration is a Myth

Search This thread
All over the forum, people are going nuts about battery stats, calibration "techniques", apps, scripts etc... to "improve" your battery life. What the hell is up with all this battery calibration mumbo-jumbo?

I don't know who started this, but this calibration, battery stats wipe thing is just plain annoying now. It is a useless, superstitious, ritualistic and nonsensical practice... just as useless as the Task Killer apps and scripts floating around.

I know y'all will boo me for flipping a finger at this sacred ritual that everyone on android seems to be following, so allow me to let Google Engineer Diane Hackborn convince you... (unless of course you believe that you understand how Android works even better than the guys that designed it...:rolleyes:)

OPEN YOUR EYES (and mind) and READ THIS

Please understand that i am only posting this because all this battery stats wiping and calibration etc is just a pagan ritual and doesn't really help. We're just being herded along like sheep, just as was the case with task managers (still is) aome time ago. Break this vicious cycle... :cool:

Enough ranting. :mad: It's your phone, do what you want with it. It's not like I'm Steve Jobs (may God have mercy on his soul) or Bill Gates to dictate how you use your phone...;):D:D

D

Deleted member 2496007

Myth debunked! I suspected as much. I usually forget the battery stats thing and never noticed any different battery life. Just some odd representation of dialer usage in battery stats. Thanks for the find.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

Steinhund

Nov 13, 2010
Leipzig
All over the forum, people are going nuts about battery stats, calibration "techniques", apps, scripts etc... to "improve" your battery life. What the hell is up with all this battery calibration mumbo-jumbo?

I don't know who started this, but this calibration, battery stats wipe thing is just plain annoying now. It is a useless, superstitious, ritualistic and nonsensical practice... just as useless as the Task Killer apps and scripts floating around.

I know y'all will boo me for flipping a finger at this sacred ritual that everyone on android seems to be following, so allow me to let Google Engineer Diane Hackborn convince you... (unless of course you believe that you understand how Android works even better than the guys that designed it...:rolleyes:)

Please understand that i am only posting this because all this battery stats wiping and calibration etc is just a pagan ritual and doesn't really help. We're just being herded along like sheep, just as was the case with task managers (still is) aome time ago. Break this vicious cycle... :cool:

Enough ranting. :mad: It's your phone, do what you want with it. It's not like I'm Steve Jobs (may God have mercy on his soul) or Bill Gates to dictate how you use your phone...;):D:D

Read this already. And never whiped the stats before :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
That's good to hear. Never calibrated because I'm too lazy. The whole thought of charging to 100% then letting it discharge and then charging it backup to 100% was just boring! Plus I hate letting my phone die. Thanks for the info enigmaamit!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

apk24

Jan 14, 2012
Gloucester

You have great style, man. Love the relevance of your posts, and well constructed structure. This post made me think again about things we have all blindly accepted as the norm, without even questioning the logic behind them. Thank you for the insight. Battery calibration was the most irritating thing for me, and i will never do this again! I have opened my eyes... :)

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Thanks for this. Its interesting to read, and good to be able to tell my mates "I told you so" as I have never bothered calibrating my battery stats. Getting over 48hrs of normal use (calls, data, wi-fi, texts, browsing etc) on a MIUI build is good enough that I never felt the need to even consider caibrating.

AquaSheep

Jan 11, 2012
It's not completely useless. You can for example delete the batterystats.bin file at any battery level and keep your phone in standby to see what is causing a battery drain in the battery usage UI.

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
That post by Diane didn't really mention anything about calibration though, just the batterystats file. However I have always been pretty sure that charge/discharge calibration is a myth ever since Li-Ion batteries became mainstream. That type of calibration only really helped with the old school Ni-Cd batteries. I ain't calibrated a battery in my life and I am still alive and happy.

Reactions: doctor-who

Bewinxed

Jun 24, 2011
Amman
Bewinxed.deviantart.com
Mother of God!

inglip.jpg
How dare you, imposter! challenge our ways of maintaining our handset's life and mind's sanity, how dare you question the teachings of mAhro jr., you dare come to our land, and question our ways that has been passed along from an android's incrementation to another?

Feed The Imposter to the lions!

jk xD
Again, kicking ass with your posts, i always knew that this calibration thing is a gimmick, the effect could be a huge placebo and i think whoever designed android/batteries knows better than to leave the records tied to software, no? anyways great post :D

But that what would the calibration cult say o3o

Last edited:
inglip.jpg
How dare you, imposter! challenge our ways of maintaining our handset's life and mind's sanity, how dare you question the teachings of mAhro jr., you dare come to our land, and question our ways that has been passed along from an android's incrementation to another?

jk xD
Again, kicking ass with your posts, i always knew that this calibration thing is a gimmick, the effect could be a huge placebo and i think whoever designed android/batteries knows better than to leave the records tied to software, no? anyways great post :D

Whoa!! you had me for a second there, brother!!

Thank god for the lines that came later... you're a nasty one!! :p:p:p

sotmax

Feb 26, 2010
Kefalinia island
Myth or not after a rom installation and only if there is a priblem with battery drain if you charge it at full then go into recovery and hit wipe stats trust me there is a difference.
This is not for every day or once a week etc but for only one time and only if there is a problem realky.
I saw devices with big drain to solve their problem by applying that...

Myth or not after a rom installation and only if there is a priblem with battery drain if you charge it at full then go into recovery and hit wipe stats trust me there is a difference.
This is not for every day or once a week etc but for only one time and only if there is a problem realky.

Yeah... you must be right.

Google engineers are so full of bull****... we trust you.

bluffking

Apr 14, 2012
nicely put i saw something unusual and someone told to calibrate my battery
so according to you what should be the solution to my problem
check my battery usage graph :silly:
Screenshot_2012-12-05-19-38-05.jpg

Last edited:

teadrinker

Jun 7, 2012

If you take a glucose tablet when you have a headache, you will notice less pain. Trust me. Or else you won't notice any difference...

Reactions: toxic-hero

epinephrin3

Dec 8, 2012
I agree with the OP about being more open minded about stuff like this. Its good to see this being cleared up, but is that the only way batteries are recalibrated on android devices?? by deleting the batterystats.bin? The only reason is because i know laptops have the option sometimes in the bios to recalibrate the battery. So surely if it was all rubbish then why would it work on laptops and not on phones that use the same type of batteries?

Reactions: @non4

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
I agree with the OP about being more open minded about stuff like this. Its good to see this being cleared up, but is that the only way batteries are recalibrated on android devices?? by deleting the batterystats.bin? The only reason is because i know laptops have the option sometimes in the bios to recalibrate the battery. So surely if it was all rubbish then why would it work on laptops and not on phones that use the same type of batteries?

When I had a defy a difference was noticed when deleting data/battd which was data about the voltage of the battery, unfortunately when I checked on my desire s this folder doesn't exist, so it must be done another way :confused:

Sent from my rooted baby monitor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mother of God!

inglip.jpg

jk xD

Yeah... you must be right.

Google engineers are so full of bull****... we trust you.
    Forgive me for resurrecting the old issue, but I wouldn't trust Google engineers opining on battery stats for several reasons:

1. The process of development at Google is highly structured with almost all developers qualified to do only their narrow specific job. Most of the time, they have no idea about what the other guy is doing or how it is supposed to be done. Even less they know about the total project, Hence, they can only qualify (if at all) to opine on what they are actually doing. Don't blame me. It was designed this way on purpose.

2. Battery problems of Android are caused by Google's sloppy way of implementing battery management . By the way, in my view, this is the way Google implements everything. The only reason Android is successful is Linux. So, less Google on your device you have, the better it is. Battery management, to put it simply, is pure crap (sorry for the word). You can have a battery showing 100% immediately after unplugging, yet after a single reboot (40 seconds), the indicator will show 96%. Or it will stick to 100% for an hour despite you doing some activities with a screen on. Or, it will show 4.2v at 90% and 4.17 at 100%. By the way, these problems simply don't exist on other platforms.

So, an opinion of a Google engineer who "helped" create Android is of very little value, unless of course he/she is responsible for battery management and in this case, the opinion would have a juicy ZERO value (because of miserable crap resulting from the job).

So, those naysayers who claim that calibrating battery is placebo have no basis for their claim. By the way, I haven't seen anyone arguing that wiping battery stats has a direct effect on battery. It does not, but it has plenty of effect on horribly designed Android battery management by way of simply resetting it when it puts too many doodles in your statistics.

Cheers...
    That post by Diane didn't really mention anything about calibration though, just the batterystats file. However I have always been pretty sure that charge/discharge calibration is a myth ever since Li-Ion batteries became mainstream. That type of calibration only really helped with the old school Ni-Cd batteries. I ain't calibrated a battery in my life and I am still alive and happy.